Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnvlv247 Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2013, 10:29 PM
    Finding Distance Between 2 Places
    I hope this is the right area to ask to this question

I was just wondering if it were possible to triangulate a distance supposedly unknown. Let's say we know it's 258 miles from Vegas to San Diego and we know it's 256 miles from Vegas to Phoenix but we want to find out the distance between Phoenix and San Diego. Is there a way to find this mathematically or do we have missing info? (I do know the distance, I am just wondering if you could figure it out without looking it up)

Drew it and linked to it here on Google Maps

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...2766,10.821533
    Tuttyd Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Aug 11, 2013, 08:33 PM
    There is not information given to find the length of the side. You need to know the angles created by your drawing. Once the angles are know then you can work out such things as missing angles and missing length of sides, as per your diagram. E.g. sine rule.
    jnvlv247 Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2013, 09:20 PM
    How do I measure the angles?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 12, 2013, 04:42 AM
    You need to know just one angle - then you could use law of sines and/or cosines to find the unknown angles and lengths. You can find the angles if you know the bearings from Vegas to SD and from Vegas to Phoenix - does Google Maps provide that info for you?

This method assumes the world is flat, so there will be some error introduced as it ignores the earth's curvature.
    neodarwinian Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2013, 03:56 PM
    With a right triangle...

a^2 + b^2 = c^2
    ============

Of course I can not visualize the map here so I do not know if a right triangle is possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Equation For Finding The Total Distance [ 5 Answers ]

How can I find the total distance of a problem?

Finding Distance [ 1 Answers ]

A particle moves from rest and has impressed a uniform velocity of 10 meters per second parallel to one side of an equilateral triangle, and a uniform acceleration of 10 meters/sec2 parallel to an adjacent side of the triangle. Find the distance of the particle from its original position at the...

Finding Customers for a Service Business in Unusual or Unlikely Places [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, All! If we're self-employed in a service type of industry or maybe run one that has a number of employees where the service involves going to the homes or offices of people, it's a fact that we always have to "hit the streets" so to speak in order to get business, especially so in these...

Finding distance using Work [ 5 Answers ]

Suppose a gravel ramp slopes upward at 6.0 degrees and the coefficient of friction is 0.40. Use work and energy to find the length of a ramp that will stop a 15000kg truck that enters the ramp at 35 m/s. This is what I did: I calculated Ff and got 6146.4N. Plugged that into the work formula....

Finding Distance [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone help me with this question please? Esther drove to work in the morning at an average speed of 45mph. She returned home In the evening along the same route and averaged 30mph. If esther spent a total of one hour commute to and from work, how many miles did esther drive to work in the...

View more questions Search