Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Harri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2005, 08:26 AM
    Non accesible leak in PVC drainpipe
    I have got a couple of leakages in the PVC drainpipes which convey the rain water from my flat roof.

The pipes are not accesible since they are behind tile walls.

Is there any sealing liquid I can pour in the entry to the drainpipe in the roof so that it seals the leakage?

The leakage is not too big but when there is heavy rain some damp stains appear in some parts of the ceiling.

I know that there are some liquids intended for solving this problem in swimming pools but as in this case the pipe is not "full" of water they might not work in this case.

I hope you can help me.

Best regards,

Harri
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 6, 2005, 08:33 AM
    Non accesible leak in PVC drainpipe
    Quote Originally Posted by Harri
    I have got a couple of leakages in the PVC drainpipes which convey the rain water from my flat roof.

The pipes are not accesible since they are behind tile walls.

Is there any sealing liquid I can pour in the entry to the drainpipe in the roof so that it seals the leakage?

The leakage is not too big but when there is heavy rain some damp stains appear in some parts of the ceiling.

I know that there are some liquids intended for solving this problem in swimming pools but as in this case the pipe is not "full" of water they might not work in this case.
    I hope you can help me.

Best regards,

Harri
    Hi Harri,
    The leaks are not "unaccessible". You can always open up the tile walls. But I question whether the leak is coming from a glued joint inside the walls. Once PVC pipes are glued properly the PVC is welded together. It's unlikely that such a weld would open up and leak. I would check out the connections on the drain that's on the roof first. I know of no "miracle stop leak product" that is selective in locating and repairing a internal leak in drainage systems. Regards, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2005, 12:36 PM
    Before I tore up the tile wall, I would try dabbing some tar around on the roof. As Tom said, PVC joints seldom go bad, but roof flashing frequently does. I hope you can find a day to work on the roof before the wall is damaged. Early in my home ownership, I had rain leak through the flashing, run down the outside of the vent pipe and ruin the plywood sub floor, damaging the floor tile. I was forever replacing the 1'' tiles.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2005, 12:38 PM
    One more thing, you could try dumping water down the drain pipe and see if it leaks. If it doesn't, the leak is elsewhere. If it does, you may have to tear into the wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer machine drainage pressure causing leak further down drainpipe? [ 4 Answers ]

The sink and washer drain pipes were rerouted from their original location and I believe it may have sprung a leak behind the wall. The sink has not been connected yet so I can't comment on regular drainage. I've used my washer/dryer a few times already and sometimes the water drains fine, and...

Washing Machine Drainpipe Overflow [ 2 Answers ]

My PVC drainpipe for my washing machine is overflowing. Is there a good product to unclog?

Workgroup is not accesible ! Please help [ 10 Answers ]

I have the following problem and I really can't find the right answer :-( Three pc's (A, B and C), A and B running windows xp home edition and C windows xp professional (all with service pack 2). I have disabled windows firewall because I'm using zonealarm. All three are connected together...

Bathroom faucet drainpipe broken behind wall [ 11 Answers ]

1941 two-story house, working in 1st floor bathroom. While replacing a bathroom faucet, I discovered that the drain pipe going into the wall was broken in half, this is the piece behind the p-trap. The place that is broken is just behind the tile bathroom wall. I pulled one pipe half from the...

View more questions Search