Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Johnson64 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2013, 01:20 PM
    Briggs and stratton back fires
    I have a mower with a 14 hp Briggs and Stratton motor that runs great until I put it under torque, then it back fires and wants to die. I have replaced the spark plug and cleaned the carburetor. What is my problem with this motor? Timing? Valves not adjusted?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 12:34 PM
    Hi,
    It could be that the valves could use an adjustment, but it could also be that the flywheel key is partially sheared. One thing that happened with newer engines and their associated ignition coils is that they would run, though not as well as normal with the key sheared or partially sheared. This is the result of building in a spark advance system that allowed the engine to be EPA emissions compliant.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Johnson64 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 31, 2013, 11:02 AM
    The flywheel key is OK and I have adjusted the clearance for the intake valve to .004 and the exhaust to .006 It seems to idle better at lower rpms but still backfires when under torque.
    Are the clearances correct? The model number is 28p777 Type 0644-A1
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 4, 2013, 07:56 AM
    Hi,
    Believe I would try a new plug gapped at ).030".
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Back fires through the exhaust. [ 1 Answers ]

Road my 1984 sportster on Saturday-ran great. Monday morning started with hestitation then died. Now it back fires through the exhaust-bang! What could it be?

Wiring 14.5 hp briggs and stratton riding mower from 18 hp briggs [ 1 Answers ]

How do you wire 14.5 hp briggs and stratton riding mower when changing it from a 18 hp briggs?

20hsp Briggs twin, fires but stalls right out won't stay running. Has fuel spark [ 1 Answers ]

It gets fuel, has spark will start with starter fluid but stalls right out, carb was cleaned has new fuel

Carb back fires [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hand me down mower and it backfires through the carb. Also dies when engaging the blades.

Kick back briggs and stratton 12.5 hp [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Huskee log splitter with a 12.5 Briggs and Stratton engine that kicks back so violently that it broke my hand. I took it to two B and S dealers and they could not find anything wrong with it, but it still kicks back. I decided to change from a pull start to an electric start. I replaced...

View more questions Search