Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MiltonK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2013, 09:37 AM
    Diabetes Control
    I had a reading of 149 blood sugar before breakfast and 153 2 hrs after, both of these are higher than normal for me, I just got out of the hospital for pneumonia and was on IV antibiotics until a week ago, I'm on no medication because my blood sugar was consistently low in the 80 to 100 range, but now it has been higher more often, is there something I should do if my blood sugar reading is higher than normal?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 11:46 AM
    Were you originally diagnosed with diabetes on diet control? If your blood sugar has increased then the only alternative is to tell your doctor so he can deal with it.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2013, 11:55 AM
    Studies have shown that eating a tablespoon of cinnamon, as well as a cup of greens and cottage cheese a day will help your sugar. Brewing black tea is good too. Try to us alternative sweeteners li ke nectresse, stevia or Raw honey.

Try NOT to use artificial sweeteners like splenda
    Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 01:39 PM
    Nohelp, I respect your advice and your helpful posts but I absolutely don't believe in alternates to control diabetes. Sure, if she is not a diabetic, and there is no such thing as a 'borderline diabetic' same as there is no such thing s 'borderline pregnancy'. You either are or you are not and if you are you should be visiting a doctor, and a diabetic clinic to find out all you can about this disease and how to control it without using false hope.
    MiltonK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2013, 02:58 PM
    Almost two months ago, I was rushed to the hospital due to disorientation, lethargy and semi consciousness, unknown to me I had been having symptoms such as frequent urination, thirst, craves for sweet, when I came to a day later, I was told I had a blood sugar close to 2000 and was a miracle. They had me hooked to an IV and informed that I was diabetic, I had no idea since I always asked my Dr. about my sugar and it was always "fine". I was given insulin throughout the day, but when I was ultimately discharged I was given Lantus 20 units to inject at night, that dose gradually came down to 6 units, I was taken off the Lantus and told to take glyburide once at breakfast, the first morning after not taking the Lantus, my sugar dropped to 60, the Dr. told me not to take it for a few days, my sugar was mostly in the 80-120 range even during my hospital stay for pneumonia and antibiotics, it seems since I stopped taking the antibiotics my sugar has steadily been getting higher, I was told not to take any medication and would try to control it with diet. My sugars have reached170, 180, 190s.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2013, 08:01 PM
    You are what you eat and what you eat affects your health. I wasn't telling him to take chromium and all the other alternatives I was simply saying that eating certain things can help, just as much as avoiding certain foods. I don't see any difference in telling him that eating certain foods will help than if I said avoid sugar and baked goods.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2013, 08:21 PM
    Oh and I do believe I learned most of that from webmd. Its not about alternative's, its about eating a healthier lifestyle to maintain rather than get worse.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MiltonK View Post
    Almost two months ago, I was rushed to the hospital due to disorientation, lethargy and semi consciousness, unknown to me I had been having symptoms such as frequent urination, thirst, craves for sweet, when I came to a day later, I was told I had a blood sugar close to 2000 and was a miracle. They had me hooked to an IV and informed that I was diabetic, I had no idea since I always asked my Dr. about my sugar and it was always "fine". I was given insulin throughout the day, but when I was ultimately discharged I was given Lantus 20 units to inject at night, that dose gradually came down to 6 units, I was taken off the Lantus and told to take glyburide once at breakfast, the first morning after not taking the Lantus, my sugar dropped to 60, the Dr. told me not to take it for a few days, my sugar was mostly in the 80-120 range even during my hospital stay for pneumonia and antibiotics, it seems since I stopped taking the antibiotics my sugar has steadily been getting higher, I was told not to take any medication and would try to control it with diet. My sugars have reached170, 180, 190s.
    Call your doctor and let him know your blood sugar levels. Those are too high.
    Expert

Aug 11, 2013, 01:51 AM
    @MiltonK. Controlling diabetes is a balancing act and complete knowledge of how to control it is very important. Controlling diabetes is a combination of proper diet, taking your meds on time, and in the correct amount and last of all proper exercise. Yes, your blood sugar level of up to 190 is very high and I have no idea why your doctor is not addressing this problem.

Inability and non compliance to control diabetes can lead to long term health problems of heart disease, risk of stroke and reduced kidney function.

I suggest you have a sit down with your doctor and map out a plan to get your diabetes under control.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 12, 2013, 01:25 PM
    Without keeping a meticulous log of your test readings, times, and what, when you eat, its hard to manage your blood sugars. You will never know what makes it go up or down.

That's where I would start so you and your doctor can work on a reasonable diet, and what to do with drops and rises. You need the data, to identify a trend. Household remedies can only help if you know when to apply them, and how.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 12, 2013, 01:56 PM
    A spike in your readings may not be a problem, but a steady trend of increases is. I test regularly in the AM only, my readings are generally in the 90-120 range, but sometimes they spike. I control with medication and diet.

If you have a spike you take greater care of what you eat. If the spike becomes a trend you see your doctor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could it be diabetes? [ 1 Answers ]

For the past 3 nights I have had to get up to urinate 3-5 times and each time I'm very thirsty. During the day I don't feel like I urinate more often but I also haven't been keeping track. After the first night I started getting stomach cramps/nausea. Not menstrual cramps or vomiting but I do have...

I have diabetes and need to control my excessive loss of fat in the body. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am a diabetic for the last 12 years and am 36 years old. I have been losing weight and thinning down rapidly for the last 2 years. My jeans no longer fit me. My shoulders have reduced and my chest bones are apparently visible. This was not the condition 2 years back. I was a well built...

Pre-diabetes control [ 11 Answers ]

If pre-diabetes is kept under control with diet and exercise, can it be cured or will I always be prone to diabetes and have to be careful forever?

Diabetes Control [ 3 Answers ]

Does a person who doesn't have diabetes always have a blood sugar reading that stays Below 120? Or can it bounce around up to 200 on the tester according to what you Ate?

He Has Diabetes. [ 1 Answers ]

I've known very few people with diabetes so I did not know much about it. My boyfriend has diabetes and I still have confusion on this disorder. I worry about him a lot since he does wrestling and he often has to cut weight. He tries not to eat so much because of it which I understand can be...

View more questions Search