Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sshipp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2013, 09:41 AM
    Breaking Rental Lease in Texas
    I am a newly divorced single mother with a 5 year old daughter. I found a rental house that I felt was perfect until after I moved in. Once moved in I continually heard horror stories about the previous owners. There kids were big time trouble makers and into drugs. When the house went under foreclosure the children were upset and broke into the home twice after the parents had moved out.

I figured this wasn't going to happen now that it has been about a year since the last incident.

This past Sunday (thankfully my daughter and I were gone). Someone smashed in my window and kicked in my door (same way the kids did it) And violently vandalized my house. (Broke furniture, holes in walls, etc.) They played with my guns however they did not steal them, only my TV due to one of the neighbors hearing them break in. After the incident and speaking with surrounding neighbors every one of them told me they think it was those kids.

I am in constant fear now of them coming back. Yes I know it is typical to feel this way but I just can't get it out of my head that they were stopped from finishing what they wanted to do and now have an idea of what is still in my home. And that they will come back. I know it is a lot of what ifs I just don't like to imagine that if one of those what ifs come true and my daughter and I are there.

So my question is, how can I get out of my lease?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2013, 10:13 AM
    Those aren't legal reasons to get out of a lease.. none of them being the fault of or responsibility of the landlord... you should walk away but you will be held liable for the full amount until the lease expires or until the landlord is able to find a new tenant.

Hate to tell you that... but that's the reality of it... crime isn't a lease violation.. unless the landlords themselves were committing the crime.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2013, 11:14 PM
    It could be any group of kids, in fact after a year and other people owning house, and other people living in house, my guess just local gangs or other kids trying for a thrill.

But this is not a reason to break a lease, you need to perhaps get a dog, and/or add a security system to the house, that way, police are called and alarms go off, anytime someone breaks in.

You can not break lease for crime in the area or someone breaking into the home.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 9, 2013, 12:30 AM
    One key word here is PREVIOUS owners. If it were the current owner's kids, you might have a case. But this owner has no liability for past owners.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a Lease in Texas. [ 4 Answers ]

I have lived in this apt for almost a month. I currently had sum harassment from a crazy old friend. She and her criminal boyfriend have threatened to hurt me and my three yr old son. I moved all my stuff out and I am hoping I get out the lease w the police report filed and statements from...

Breaking a rental lease [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my 2 roomates signed a 1 year lease for an apartment we are living in and we need to break the lease. The one roommate is going back to school and will not be able to afford her part of the rent and school. The other roommate is pregnant and she has had a job change. I myself have had 3...

Breaking a rental lease [ 3 Answers ]

I was in a motorcycle accident and need my son and his wife to move in and help take care of me. He has a one year lease which is up in April of 2008. Is there a way he can get out of it without losing his security deposit on his apartment? We live in Deland, Florida. Thank you in advance for...

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

View more questions Search