Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elliesmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2013, 06:37 AM
    Female rescue housetrained but pees on bedding and marks crate.
    We have a female Cocker Spaniel thought to be 4-5 years old. We rescued her about a year ago. She has only had about 4 accidents in the house in that time due to our failure to read her cues. She sleeps in a crate at night and is crated when we go out of the house for more than an hour or so. She has proved to like to pee on any soft bedding left out. My kids had a sleep over in the family room and left their blankets and sleeping bags on the floor. She peed a bit on each item. I assume she is doing this to mark it as hers? She was from a breeder/puppy mill and had several litters of puppies before the rescue. She goes outside just before bed or before crating and empties her bladder but always marks with a few squirts on her crate bedding. I don't like the idea of having no padding for her to lay on but I am so tired of washing everything that I am about to remove it. I tried not washing it for about a week (house started to smell like stale pee!) to see if she would stop marking it but it is always damp in the morning. Is there any way to stop the marking? I have caught her in the act and scolded her and removed the wet things but it didn't help at all. HELP ME!!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 7, 2013, 07:25 AM
    She might have been potty trained with pee pads (so the breeder wouldn't have to bother taking her outside), so anything soft is fair game now.

Has a vet checked her for urinary problems?

Our dog experts will see your question and give you some good advice. Please check back now and then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 year old rescue dog peeing in her crate [ 9 Answers ]

Just before Christmas we rescued an approximately 2 year old beagle/poodle mix from the local no-kill shelter. We also have a 9 year old English springer spaniel. She was reportedly potty trained and initially seemed to make good on that promise. Despite that, she did not come without baggage....

My puppy pees in his crate [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 11 week old wired hair pointing griffon-large breed I am home all day with him and in the processs of crate training which we began @ 8 weeks, that part is going well. He is on a srtict 2x day feeding scheduale and has plenty bathroom breaks outside as well as 2 long walks a day combined...

Rescue peeing in house and crate in spite of training [ 1 Answers ]

We have an 18 mo. Old boxer that is a rescue. We have had him for 2 mo.s. From day one there have been issues with him peeing in our home. We have been treating him as a new puppy from day one. We cannot leave him in the house for longer than 2 hours at a time, this still after 2 months. If we...

2 yo rescue is fouling her crate [ 5 Answers ]

2 months ago, we adopted a 2 year old Jack Russell Terrier. She's a sweet dog and gets along great with our kids. She also seems to be super calm; loves to lay on the bed and relax. Housebreaking is a problem though, when we're not around. Here's the story: She was a breeder's dog and had a...

My Dog pees in his crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old english bulldog that is for the most part potty trained. I've had him for 3 months and he hasn't had an accident in the house for a long while. The only place he has accidents is in his crate if there is bedding in it. He can hold his pee all night long if he's sleeping...

View more questions Search