Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LuwaMutoji Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2013, 04:58 AM
    Preparing a trial balance
    I am working on a corrected trial balance for school and am having trouble getting it to work out. Here is the set up and what I have for starting balances:

Cash - Dr 2870
    Accounts Receivable - Dr 3231
    Supplies - Dr 800
    Equipment - Dr 3800
    Accounts Payable - Cr 2666
    Unearned Service Revenue - Cr 1200
    Common Stock - Cr 6000
    Retained Earnings - Cr 3000
    Service Revenue - Cr 2380
    Wages Expense - Dr 3400
    Office Expense - Dr 940

This leaves us with a debit balance of $15041 and a credit balance of $15246

So, here are the errors and what are my thoughts to do with them:

Cash received from a customer on account was debited for $570, and Accounts Receivable was credited for the same amount. The actual collection was for $750.
    My thoughts were to Dr. Cash 180 and Cr Accounts Receivable 180

The purchase of a computer printer on account for $500 was recorded as a debit to Supplies for $500 and a credit to Accounts Payable for $500.
    My thoughts were to Dr. Equipment 500 and Cr Supplies 500

Services were performed on account for a client for $890. Accounts Receivable was debited for $890 and Service Revenue was credited for $89
    My thoughts were to Cr Service Revenue 801

A payment of $65 for telephone charges was recorded as a debit to Office Expense for $65 and a debit to Cash for $65.
    My thoughts were to Cr Cash 130

When the Unearned Revenue Service Revenue account was reviewed, it was found that 325 of the balance was earned prior to June 30.
    My thought was to Cr Unearned Service Revenue for 325 but I feel there is another account that I should be doing something to.

A debit posting to Wages Expense of $670 was omitted.
    My thought was to Dr. Wages Expense 670

A payment on account for $206 was credited to cash for 206 and credited to accounts payable for $260.
    My thought was to Dr. Accounts Payable 466

A dividend of 575 was debited to Wages Expense for 575 and credited to cash for 575
    My thought was to Cr Wages Expense 575, make a new account and Dr. Dividend 575

I am having some balancing issues

After the correction

Thank you!
    Cash 2820.00
    Account Receivable 3411.00
    Supplies 1300.00
    Equipment 3300.00
    Account Payable 2200.00
    Unearned Service Revenue 875.00
    Common Stock 6000.00
    Dividend 575.00
    Retained Earnings 3000.00
    Service Revenue 3181.00
    Wages Expense 3305.00
    Office Expense 940.00 .
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2013, 10:07 AM
    Most of your corrections are correct. Your Unearned Service Revenue that was earned of $325 you should credit $325 to Service Revenue.

The main problem is with your balances. You either added to an account when you should have subtracted from the account, or you subtracted from an account when you should have added.

Accounts with a normal debit balance will be increased by a debit and decreased by a credit, while accounts with a normal credit balance will be increased by credit and decreased by a debit.

Here is a guide to help you remember which accounts have a normal debit or credit balance:

D - Debit balance
    E - Expenses
    A - Assets
    D - dividends

C - Credit balance
    U - Unearned Revenue
    R - Revenue
    L - Liabilities
    S - Stockholders Equity/Owners Equity
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2013, 11:55 AM
    Your debits and credits after the corrections should equal 15,581
    Nnenna18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2016, 02:04 PM
    Why did you credit supplies for $500.00?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preparing unadjusted trial balance [ 1 Answers ]

How do I create an unajusted trial balance?

Preparing Closing entries from Beginning balance and Preclosing Trial Balance help [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to complete a homework assignment and have been staring at the information my professor has given me for about 6 hours now and am still at a complete loss/standstill. Would anyone mind answering how you come up with the closing entries from only the beginning balance and preclosing...

Preparing a balance sheeet and income statement from a trial balance [ 2 Answers ]

Trial balance of Mahendra Traders as at 28 feb 2007 Capital R320 000 Drawings 40 000 Land and buildings ...

Preparing a Trial Balance [ 1 Answers ]

The question is: Prepare an August 31 trial balance for Pose-for-Pics. Open these T-accounts: Cash; Office Supplies; Prepaid Insurance; Photography Equipment; H. Paris, Capital; Photography Fees Earned; and Utilities Expense. Post the general journal entries to these T-accounts (which will serve...

Preparing a trial balance [ 1 Answers ]

When it says bought an automobile on account which account do I use for automobile? Question:bought an automobile on account from volvo west, 12,000

View more questions Search