Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sxiong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2013, 05:39 PM
    A/C sometimes working, sometimes not
    The problem started about a week ago.

The A/C didn't blow cold air when thermostat showing "cool on". It happened in the morning. I went to attic to reset the unit (by switching it off then back on), and at the beginning it solved the problem.

Then after a couple of days, it happened again, now even resetting the unit didn't help. I randomly touched the R,G,W,Y,C wires and heard the click sound, and fan started blowing, and it kept running fine for the rest of days.

I called a repair company. They told me since it's working sometimes and sometimes not, it's better for me to wait until it totally stops working.

So I repeated the same trick almost every morning for the past week. And this morning, nothing worked, no matter if I reset it, touch the wires, I could hear the click and motor started, then it went quiet in about 2-5 seconds. The red light flashed steadily and slowly. I thought it's totally dead and I called the repair company. They said they would stop by around 2:00PM. Of course, they were caught by something else. Surprisingly, the A/C started working perfectly normal around 3:00PM, without anyone doing anything. Then the repair man showed up around 5:30PM, got mad that A/C's running, but I didn't tell them.

Here, I have two questions:
    1) where would you suspect the problem is?
    2) Should I wait when the unit's totally dead to call for repair?
    sxiong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2013, 05:45 PM
    Forgot to mention, the unit is Lennox 80MGF series.

Thank you very much for your help
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2013, 06:08 PM
    So when it is not working, neither the indoor blower or the ac unit is running? Sounds like a bad control board, or a bad t-stat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2004 honda accord brake lights not working changed bulbs but still not working [ 1 Answers ]

Changed bulbs lights still not working manual does not indicate which fuse or fuses to replace help anybody?

My heat is not working my low coolant light is on and my fans are not working it is [ 2 Answers ]

Over heating what should I do? I have changed the water pump changed the thermastat and the radiator what is the next step?

Taillights not working, bulbs good,brake and turn signals are working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I need some help.my 98 chevy pick up has no taillights ,my brake and turn signals work.I have checked my fuses all seem OK .What to look for now?

Dual fuel rheem furnace not working, defrost control board replaced still not working [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, I have a Rheem furnace and is only one year old. Recently my furnace didn't come on so I had someone come out and look at it and it turns out it was the defrost board on the heat pump that was bad. I replaced the board with a new one and turned the system on and it worked on heat and...

View more questions Search