Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BerzerkJ Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 02:20 PM
    60 Amp Panel.how many breakers?
    I recently bought a house with an old Federal Pacific Panel in it. (Yes yes I know, major fire hazard.) I was just wondering, it is rated as a 60 amp panel, does that mean that the sum of all the breakers must be less than 60 amps, or that no one breaker can exceed 60 amps?
    Debaat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2007, 11:14 PM
    60 amp rating means that the maximum curent flow passing from the power supply autorithy to wards your home (board panel is 60 A).

All the sum of all your loads (appliances) not execced this rating , so if there is a sudden flactuation at your surrounding tranformer (where u get your line ) it might try ti give you more than 60 amperes ,but your breaker will tripp off to protect your house electric .

and u are right that no one breaker should execcd this 60 ampers .and yes the sum of all current flow towrds your applinaces isless than 60A. But it could happen that sum of all breakers could execced this 60 A by some values.
    BTA Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Is your panel rated for continuous duty or not? If it is, that means it is able to handle 60A of continuous current - a sum of ALL current through ALL breakers in the panel. Otherwise, it is likely that it is only able to handle 85% of 60A, or around 50A of continuous current - again, a sum of ALL current through the panel.

Use your local electrical code in determining the proper size for your panel, it will instruct you on how to properly add up the loads in your house and at what percentage to add them to reach a final value that your service should be sized at. It is not as simple as adding up every single load in your house as not every load will be running at full capacity at any given time.

If you want to be on the safe side, you could simply add all major appliance loads, heating and lighting loads at 100%. If this number is equal to or less than 50A you should be okay.

No, you should not install a breaker of size 60A (certainly not more) in this panel, unless it is the main breaker and your panel is rated 100%.

Talk to an electrician!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 amp panel feeding a 100 amp panel roughly 130' away [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, We are building a apartment above the garage,my question is what size wire do I need to run from the 200 amp panel to the 100 amp panel roughly 130' away? I want to use aluminum wire as I think copper would be to costly. Thanks for your help in advance, Dude :eek:

Correction-GFI & AFI Breakers & Shared Neutrals [ 3 Answers ]

I need to submit a correction to some advice I had furnished in the past regarding Ground Fault and Arc Fault circuit breakers being used on shared neutrals. I had in mind the typical single pole 120 volt breakers that will not work if two breakers are used for two 120 volt circuits that share a...

200 Amp Service Panel with 60 Amp Main Breakers [ 26 Answers ]

I was told when we purchased our house that it had 200 Amp service which it appears to be; however, the top of each bus bars only has 60 Amp breakers for the Main shut offs. Is this normal? Each bus bar is connected to a hot wire (one red and one black) and then the two 60 amp breakers are...

Breaker Box Amps rating & Number of breakers installed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question in regards to amps allowed in a breaker box. My breaker box has a label stating that the box has a maximum load of 200 amps, but that it is convertible. I really don't know what the convertible part means. If I look at the breakers installed, these add way more than 200 amps. ...

600 Amp Service And Load Center With 6 Breakers [ 4 Answers ]

I Have A Overhead Service With Single Phase 220v 600amp Going To 23 Boat Docks And A Small Club House And A Garage . I Need A All New Service Change And A Rewire To The Boat Docks . I Calculated The Dock Service Demand Load According To Nec 555-12 It Comes Out To Be 486 Amps I Have 5- 125 Amp 220v...

View more questions Search