Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soogate Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Water leak from air conditioner air handler
    How do I stop water from dripping from my air handler? The technician has checked the pans, drains, and freon with no luck. He is stumped as to where the water is coming from.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 26, 2007, 07:19 PM
    To high a blower sped will blow the water off the coil.
    wj5698 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by soogate
    How do I stop water from dripping from my air handler? The technician has checked the pans, drains, and freon with no luck. He is stumped as to where the water is coming from.

Check your attic temp, and ventilation, if the attic temp is high it will cause condensation on the outside of the handler, look for a 15 degree difference between outside temp and attic temp. Just be careful on how you correct your ventilation problem, you can cause more problems than you fix. There are some great guideline under attic ventilation as a search.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Some times a water leak in the air handler is difficult to find, BUT it can be solved , first notice where the leak is coming from may not be level (should be level or barely pitched toward the drain) , if the coil is dirty the condensate may drip off it instead of following the coil to the pan, pan may be cracked (hard to determine with out disassembly) or rusted out, Should have a P-trap on drain to keep air from displacing water in drain.
    I agree with HVAC 1000, if the coil is dirty it can cause a higher velocity through the remainder of the coil that is open and blow water off coil into the duct.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Is this a new system?
    rajls2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 03:04 PM
    It is a brand new system
    KidChaos Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Jun 30, 2012, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by soogate View Post
    Your coil is either dirty, undercharged, or the pans rusted, cracked, melted,
    If there is a primary and secondary drain like if in the ceiling/attic the primary may be plugged and secondary too? Its not rocket science, you just may have to look or get a new guy to come out and demand a refund from the 1st one, this is a very simple issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air handler [ 4 Answers ]

My, carrier indoor air handler keep shorting out low voltage transformers. I've replaced 2 of them, the system will run for about 5 hrs. before it shorts out. ...

Is air in water line possible? Leak in kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, my problem is two-fold... first off, for the past few weeks the toilet in my master bath just runs and runs after you flush it UNTIL you turn on the water in a sink, just a quick on & off at just about any sink makes it stop and it's ONLY this one toilet. Second, and more major, problem is...

Air conditioner condenser air temp [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering if the temp coming form the outdoor condenser should be really warm, like that coming out of a furnace, or just mildly warm, like around 90. Does the temp coming out have anything to do with performance or cost? I ask this because I live in an apartment, and the downstairs...

Water Dripping from Air Handler [ 8 Answers ]

I have a newly installed, (maybe four months ago), central AC unit. It is a split system, 3.5 tons, Rheem 13 SEER. Both the compressor and the air handler were replaced. All was working fine until yesterday, when I began hearing a dripping sound coming from beneath the air handler. A quick look...

Water seeping from under vertical air handler [ 1 Answers ]

My unit is in the garage,vertical, accessible, with drain line running outside. Water is seeping from under the unit. I have cleaned the drain. Does the Trane unit have a drain pan inside that is possibly clogged and overflowing? I cannot see where the water is coming from.Can I gain access to the...

View more questions Search