Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miketctlane Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Aug 3, 2013, 11:11 AM
    Is this discrimination?
    Let's start with that I'm in a work force and educational program. Apart of the program you can earn a internship seat for six months at a corporation such as {names removed} etc. I just went on internship and on Monday I was having great time and I learned a lot of things and because I'm interested in technology I was place as an IT intern. {extraneous detail removed} I was only there for two days then I get a call from the manager that places you in a seat for a internship. She calls me in and tells me "I'm sorry but because of your background we have to place you at a new internship seat. You are great at what you do and it's their lost because they missed out on a very talented young man that is way about standards in IT." I look and shook my head and said "it's always something complicated with me."
    Now about me I am 20 year old African American.I was incarcerated when I was 17 and I am going to be 21 in October. The charge was UUW (Unlawful Use OF Weapon)class 4 felon. I was incarcerated for 7 months and four of those months I served at boot camp which I completed. Before I was incarcerated my I life was full of violence and that's what I grew up around and also what I have learned(Not making excuses for me being a felon or getting incarcerated) but you only know what your exposed to in life. Since I been out March 2011 I have I have not went back to the life of violence and still is moving on to a better life. I have achieve things that I thought I would never do life G.E.D, License, College, Scholarships, Giving speeches, teaching computer classes(That I qualify for but yet I'm teaching them) etc. I found my passion and it's in technology and anything that involves technology I want to do.
    Now about the program that I am in it's called Year Up it's a non-profit organization work force and educational program. But when I came to Year Up I started helping everyone in my computers class and even stood up and taught the class some things about Windows 7 OS(Operating Systems). They enjoyed it and thought it was very useful. The staff here all enjoys me and usually can't wait to see me walk through the door with a smile because I enjoy being in the program. Throughout the program I did nothing but participate in everything and tried made sure I made a difference while I was there. No one judged me and in fact in person you would never think that I have a criminal background as the staff would say. Also out of 160 students they have here at Year Up I was the one chosen to do a commercial for them.{link removed} because of my great academic performance and support to staff and students.
    The corporation I was interning at was {name removed}. I was having the time of my life interning at a corporation and learning a lot of new things. But because of my background I could not intern there! That's not fair because I have over came that life of violence and have not looked back for any reason. But yet I'm trying so hard to become the best that I can bet and yet I'm being rejected because of my background? And yet I have amazing talent with computer hardware and networking. But because of what happen in the past I cannot receive the same equal rights. {name removed} It's not like I was going to get hired or anything I wanted the experience. I know it's not the corporation fault that I have a felon on my record but at the same time every one deserves a chance to get an opportunity. I don't understand why would they chose to let me go because of my background and not what I am capable of. I would have showed those people some amazing things because I'm full of them if I had the chance.
    When is corporations going to stop discrimination against talented people with felons that's trying to be something in life and not look back to a life of violence. But it's only so many times people with convictions will keep trying before they are force back to the life of violence because it makes them feel rejected in so many ways. It's like I'm still paying for my crime and I already did the time. So why reject someone that wants to become something and possibly force them back to a life of violence?Just because I am a felon does not mean I have to live my life as one. I have dreams, goals and motivation just like any other person. Through all of this hard work I refuse to live my life as a felon because it's not the life I suppose to be living or I'm going to live. Just because I was not able to intern at {name removed} does not mean I'm going to stop pursuing my dreams and goals.

-The Corporations Discrimination
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 3, 2013, 11:32 AM
    I live in a Chicago suburb and know there are groups and organizations that advocate and are doing their best to help young people trying to go straight and make a good life for themselves.

Have you connected with any of these groups yet? Are you living in the city itself or in a suburb?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2013, 11:44 AM
    I think I am missing something here. You were to interview with {name removed}, through the program you are attending? If that is correct, I would think they would have cleared all that with {name removed} first. Or are you finding the placements on your own?
    Many places will not hire you depending on your past 'crime' and what their business entails. There are actually some that will. I have heard of security places hiring ex 'criminals' because of their knowledge of breaking a security system. You got to just keep trying and get the program you are going through to help or at least give suggestions.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2013, 12:27 PM
    In the title you asked if this was discrimination. The answer is no Felons are not a protected class.

The rest of your post appears to be just a rant with no question. I edited out the identifying info for your protection and the companies.
    miketctlane Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Oct 28, 2013, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I live in a Chicago suburb and know there are groups and organizations that advocate and are doing their best to help young people trying to go straight and make a good life for themselves.

Have you connected with any of these groups yet? Are you living in the city itself or in a suburb?
    The City
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 28, 2013, 11:20 AM
    'But because of what happen in the past I cannot receive the same equal rights.'

Companies cannot discriminate based on the Civil Rights of race, creed, gender, etc.
    They can discriminate based on your felony.
    You have struggled and done well, so this is too bad, but it's not illegal.
    You are fortunate in some ways - much of the country can't afford programs such as you went through anymore.
    I wonder if Judge Mathis had anything to do with it? Do you know who he is?
    You might find that government jobs, from local city level through state all the way to federal, have better policy that gives you more opportunity.
    You might even try talking to a branch of the military (or all of them), where there are excellent possibilities in technology. You might have to talk a good talk, given that the felony was about guns, and it might not be possible, but you were a minor, even if you were tried as an adult. I don't know for sure. Give it a try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Discrimination [ 8 Answers ]

I worked as a temporary assistant with another girl, my position is a hourly position and the other girl was a salary position. The other girl was promoted to another position and now I am the only one working the position in hope that they would hire me permanent to take her position. The job is...

Possible discrimination? [ 9 Answers ]

I was a manager of walmart for nearly three years during this time I was stuck with an employee who was above all the rules because he was a higher managers friend . During my time at walmart my fellow supervisors and I had more problems with this employee then we could handle and he was never...

Discrimination or not [ 1 Answers ]

Have a tenant who moved in on August 15, 2008. After signing a 6-month lease with her, we realized that this woman isn't ready to be living on her own. She was released from a nursing home where she was living in the brain injury center. We spoke with her family case worker, who agrees with us...

Is this discrimination? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Angela and I have worked at a dine-in pizza restaurant for a little over 2 years now. My current posisition is Shift Manager and I had been getting roughly 30 hours a week, give or take a few each week. I am also 36 weeks pregnant as of today, and have been working throughout my...

Discrimination? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We have an question about an pargraph that my boss has read on a company purchase order. It stated " During the performance of this contract( or purchase order), the contractor/vendor agrees to comply with all Federal, State and Local Laws respecting discrimination in employment and...

View more questions Search