Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Comeandgetme12 Posts: 99, Reputation: -5

Aug 2, 2013, 07:02 PM
    Is it legal
    I was wandering if dating a guy who is 23 when the girl is 16 is okay if they avoid sex. Hope some one can help, it's not for me but for someone I know.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 2, 2013, 07:05 PM
    How can they avoid sex? Why would a 23 year old man want to date a child? That's sickening!
    Comeandgetme12 Posts: 99, Reputation: -5

Aug 2, 2013, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    How can they avoid sex? Why would a 23 year old man want to date a child? That's sickening!
    They could just not have it, I guess. Not that I know very much about relationships or anything, and neither does my friend apparently. 16 is age of consent where she is. Is it illegal for them to simply date. If you would, would you define what age of consent actually means for me, and what it does.
    -Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 2, 2013, 07:17 PM
    If her parents forbid it, then yes. And I would wonder at any parents that would let a 23 yr old date their 16 yr old daughter. Or any 23 yr old would get romantically involved with a 16 yr old.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 2, 2013, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Comeandgetme12 View Post
    ... If you would, would you define what age of consent actually means for me, and what it does.
    -Thanks
    Rape is a felony (serious crime), defined as having sex with someone without that person's consent. If you are under the "age of consent", you are legally incapable of giving consent to having sex and, thus, it would be rape (or sexual assault, or whatever it's called in your jurisdiction). Because of the statute thus limiting the age at which one may consent, it is commonly referred to as "statutory" rape.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2013, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Comeandgetme12 View Post
    They could just not have it, I guess. 16 is age of consent where she is. Is it illegal for them to simply date. If you would, would you define what age of consent actually means for me, and what it does.
    -Thanks
    Age of consent can mean different things by state. In one state it can mean you are free to date/have sex with any age of consent age. Another state it can mean you can with someone within 4 years of the age of consent if you are considered a minor (16 - 20). Its not illegal to hang out, be friends and They could just not have sex, but whose caring when their hormones are raging?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2013, 08:34 PM
    It is totally wrong and any 23 year old who would even want to, is nothing but a pedophile.

And of course they will not avoid sex for very long, In the start, he may say, he is not interested, but of course that is what he wants.

The parents of the 16 year old will have to know and give permission for them to date. But any good parent would not do that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the legal rights of an adopted donor child, once he/she reaches legal age? [ 4 Answers ]

Does the child have a right to know the donor-father? If the adopted family (legal family) underwent a divorce, what child-support rights do the child have pertaining to the legal father? Especially once legal age (21) is reached? Can the child/teen take his biological father's last name?

Nys parole PO denies any contact w/ legal wife - criminal hist. Is this legal [ 1 Answers ]

Parole denies any contact, phone, letters, visits, etc. w/ my legal wife because she is a convicted felon and one rule while on parole is to have no contact w/ known felons

Legal status (student visa) becoming legal resident? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a legal resident green card holder and have been so for 28 years. I met someone and fell in love and got married. The problem is she is here on a student visa. I would like to know if it is possible for her to obtain legal obtain status. There are a few circumstances that I feel that may...

Is there legal visitation rights for nonbiological or legal parents [ 5 Answers ]

I am from South Dakota and I had met a man that had full legal custody of his infant son. The biological mother very rare saw the child and was not involved in his life. I started dating this man when the child was 8 months old and we were engaged by the time he was 11 months old. The child's...

Giving up legal right to pursue legal actions [ 8 Answers ]

I want to up all legal right to pursue legal action against my male partner before I give birth to my unborn child. How do I go about doing that? I mean I want it in written form that I give up the right to sue him for any type of child support or any type of care to my child. Also I don't want to...

View more questions Search