Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2013, 03:40 PM
    Is it too late to make a vacation request from work?
    I want to take off at the last week of August after working there for a year. The thing is there is no form we need to fill out and since the manager is busy all the time I was thinking about leaving a note in his office.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 03:44 PM
    Does he have a company mail box? I'd put it there instead of on his desk. And I would type it up neatly in office memo form on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2013, 04:47 PM
    You need to talk to HR about the policy for requesting vacation time. No you cannot just leave a note. Most places require that vacation time be requested and approved.

Aug 1, 2013, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Does he have a company mail box? I'd put it there instead of on his desk. And I would type it up neatly in office memo form on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.
    I don't think he has a mailbox
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 05:17 PM
    Knowing what kind of work you do might be more helpful.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpie88 View Post
    I don't think he has a mailbox
    If there is an HR department, do what Scott suggested. Even the small library (fewer than 20 employees) I used to work at had a procedure for requesting time off or vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You need to talk to HR about the policy for requesting vacation time. No you cannot just leave a note. Most places require that vacation time be requested and approved.

Ok because I was told that would be fine to leave a note or to hand it to him letting him know what it is.

Aug 1, 2013, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Knowing what kind of work you do might be more helpful.
    I work in a supermarket in the aisle
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 1, 2013, 05:22 PM
    Did you make it clear that you wanted that week? The following Monday is Labor Day. Busy time for supermarkets.

Aug 1, 2013, 05:22 PM
    Is it part of a chain or a small local ownership?

And who told you it would be OK to leave a note?

Aug 1, 2013, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Did you make it clear that you wanted that week? The following Monday is Labor Day. Busy time for supermarkets.
    I haven't asked him yet. Also I don't work on holidays

Aug 1, 2013, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Is it part of a chain or a small local ownership?

And who told you it would be OK to leave a note?
    Yes it's known in the northeast where I live. A friend told me it might be a good idea to leave a note since it's kind of hard to reach the manager.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 1, 2013, 05:37 PM
    The days BEFORE Labor Day will be busy as people shop ahead. You'd better ask ASAP and not be disappointed if you are turned down because other employees asked first.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 05:48 PM
    NO, NO and no, about just leaving a note, a manager can not be that hard to talk to, and the days around holiday will be almost always senior people wanting off.

If you leave a note, it should only e that you need to talk to him,

Aug 2, 2013, 03:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpie88 View Post
    Yes it's known in the northeast where I live. A friend told me it might be a good idea to leave a note since it's kinda hard to reach the manager.
    Then there should be a corporate HR department you can contact, as well as a written policy on how to apply for time off. So you contact them.

Your friend gave you bad advice. You can leave him a note asking for an appointment to discuss vacation time. Even give possible times. But nothing more than that. But before you do, contact HR.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2013, 04:17 AM
    You need to talk with someone and know for positive you are cleared for the vacation. Otherwise they can brush it off and act like they never heard anything. They can say someone else requested the Same time off and followed procedure. Its best to give at least a week or 2 notice before the day they write up the schedule.

Aug 2, 2013, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    The days BEFORE Labor Day will be busy as people shop ahead. You'd better ask ASAP and not be disappointed if you are turned down because other employees asked first.
    I am going to ask him today. I remember my co worker asked the week before he wanted to go on vacation and the manager approved of it.

Aug 2, 2013, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    You need to talk with someone and know for positive you are cleared for the vacation. Otherwise they can brush it off and act like they never heard anything. They can say someone else requested the Same time off and followed procedure. Its best to give at least a week or 2 notice before the day they write up the schedule.
    Ok thanks that's what is also what I heard. My co worker did the same so I guess you never know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Summer vacation is nearing, kid vs work? [ 1 Answers ]

Summer vacation is getting close! The year has flown by, my little fifth grader is going to middle school next year! I am new to working full time while we have him. I used to be able to be very flexible during the every other week that we had him, so I was able to be with him and keep him...

Why did going on vacation make me feel less in love with my boyfriend? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having trouble putting my feelings into words, it's hard to describe, but I am worried and seeking advice so I'm going to try my best. Is it normal to have like phases in a relationship where you just feel bored, uninterested, or don't feel like you love that person anymore? I've been with my...

Is it legal for an employer to make a salaried employee take vacation [more].. [ 4 Answers ]

Is it legal for an employer to make a salaried employee take vacation days if they wish to get paid for a week? The company has decided to shut down for a holiday. The company says it will pay for the one government "holiday" day, but the rest no one, including salaries employees, will receive pay...

Hurt at work, Dr ordered no work, must I use up my sick & vacation time [ 4 Answers ]

When you are hurt at work must you use up your sick & vacation time.

View more questions Search