Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poliness Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2013, 12:18 PM
    Income tax:amount and procedure for independent contractor, non-resident on F1 visa
    Hi!
    I'm currently a student on F1 visa (for 1,5 years now), Russian citizenship. Over this summer I'm interning in San Francisco, and hold a CPT authorization to work.
    My employer could only offer me a Independent Contractor contract, and thus is paying me the full amount for summer work - $7000 in check, no tax deductions from their side at the end of August. When I started working, I signed my contract with W-9 form being part of it (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification), providing my SSN.

I was wondering
    1) how should I pay taxes and what's the amount and procedures (forms I should use, deadlines, total amount I should pay)
    2) Am I eligible for any tax deductions (standard deductions, Russia-US tax treaty etc)
    3) What should I do with W-9 form that I signed? I assume it was intended for US residents, so should I make my employer void it and sign some other form suitable for my situation?

Thanks a lot,
    Polina
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 12:32 PM
    Polina,

1) You will file Form 1040NR with a Schedule C to claim the $7,000 income. You will also file a California state tax return.

2) You CANNOT claim the standard deduction due to your F-1 visa status. However, if you pre-pay the California taxes you will owe before 31 December 2013, you can deduct those paid state income taxes as an itemized deduction. You WILL be allowed to claim your personal exemption of about $3,900, but, unfortunatetly, I see NO treaty exemption for students in the U.S.-Russia Tax Treaty.

3) complete the W-9 and provide your employer with your SSN.

If you need professional help filing your 2013 tax returns. Email me at the email address in my profile if you do not see it below.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Aug 1, 2013, 12:56 PM
    You should provide a form W8BEN instead of W9.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 03:03 PM
    TaxForAliens IS correct, but in this case, the intent is to inform your employer of your legal name, address and SSN, and the Form W-9 does that function just fine.

Since the W-9 does NOT get submitted to anybody (it remains on file at the employer's office), submitting the W-9 to your employer is okay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Witholdings for Independent Canadian Contractor (CA resident) for US Firm [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know the tax withholding policy for an independent contractor who is a Canadian citizen and resident (residing solely in Canada) working for a US Firm, based in California. The contractor has only a Canadian citizenship and does not reside in the US at all. Thank you

Working as an independent contractor on F-1 visa status [ 1 Answers ]

I am an international student. Resident Alien. I am currently doing an associates degree in civil design and I'm on a F-1 visa. I wanted to do a tutoring job online and they require me to fill out a 1099 form when it comes time to claim my taxes. I wanted to tutor in math, chemistry, physics etc....

Non-resident alien as independent contractor--US taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am a non-resident alien living in Denmark. I work as an independent contractor, selling products to European distributors for an American company. I live and work in Denmark. I am in the U.S. about 10 days per year to meet with the American company. Must I file a return? ...

View more questions Search