Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EVANTH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2013, 10:48 AM
    Trying to get an id with a warrant in il
    In Illinois if I go to the dmv to get an id snd I have a will I get arrested?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2013, 11:18 AM
    If it's an IL warrant, yes, very possibly - minimally you will be turned away.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2013, 11:50 AM
    I tried to research this question online and maybe you have too.
    I found many opinions on your specific question but no two answers were the same. Most frequent suggestion was to call or have someone call for you to find out what the official policy is. My feeling is that considering the new laws and procedures that have been fairly recently put into effect in the U.S.- there is a good chance that the warrant would be discovered. Whether motor vehicle dept. agents are required to do any follow up, if and when a warrant is discovered, I cannot ascertain. If the warrant involved motor vehicle law violation in Illinois, the chance of action by the motor vehicle dept. is greater most likely.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 06:27 PM
    Why not merely take care of the warrant, but yes, in most cases they will notify police who will show up. Plus of course this will supply a new and correct address for them to just come get you, if they do not detain at DMV
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2013, 09:14 AM
    "Most frequent suggestion was to call or have someone call for you to find out what the official policy is."

Just out of curiosity, where did you read this? In NY (where I am and I can't believe it differs) you can't call DMV or have someone else call and say "I have a warrant, if I come in will I be arrested?" and get an answer. Without knowing where the warrant was issued, why, there is no possibility of answering. Of course they'll say no with the hope that you'll come in - and then they've got you, as FrChuck said, or else they have your new address.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 2, 2013, 09:26 AM
    In my state, you can't call the DMV period.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2013, 09:28 AM
    Have to laugh, Joy - DMV computers were down in total for (I think) 3 days. You can call. They just won't answer.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2013, 12:13 PM
    Judy,

Here for one:
    Outstanding Warrants And I Need An I.D. In Illinois
    And some Q/A sites similar to AMHD.

And PennDOT still answers the phone believe it or not. Can't say for Illinois, couldn't find their site.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2013, 12:43 PM
    That answer is from 2008, before the States went nationwide with the computer system.

I can't believe an open warrant won't "caught," but I've been wrong before.

No ID might be the price OP has to pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A few questions about arrest warrant/search warrant in Ontario, Canada [ 12 Answers ]

If there is an arrest/search warrant issued for you, what address do they raid? (as in how do they find out where you live... driver's license?) Say for example, you moved out of your parents home and live by yourself... are they allowed to raid parents home (previous address)?

Can you get an id if you have a warrant? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a warrant in Michigan and want to get an id card in Iowa will I be arrested at the Iowa dmv if I try and get an identification card?

Recovery Warrant, Civil Warrant or Detainer Warrant? [ 4 Answers ]

I closed on the purchase of a house on April 27th. The seller notified a roommate (who was "not" a tenant) to move on April 4th. He moved his furniture on April 12 but left 4 broken down vehicles, and 2 garages wall-to-wall with things. He is dragging his feet on moving because he's angry at the...

Warrant [ 7 Answers ]

A nephew has a warrant out for his arrest. He did not show up in court. His dad posted a $5,000 surety bond. I guess my question is : How long of a wait is there, do they look for you or wait for you to mess up again. What happens to the dad and the bond?

View more questions Search