Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Derrick20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2013, 01:56 PM
    Heir property
    Hello, I'm a heir to some property that was passed down to me & my brother from our mother, who is now deceased. We get a check from some company every 3 months or so for maybe $100 or less. I know someone is making money off this property, its just not us. How do we go about knowing how much our property is? Who's doing the drilling? etc. I'm clueless. All we know is we have land and it's a company drilling off it.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2013, 02:00 PM
    They likely bought and paid for drilling rights and the very least have a contract for X number of years paying X number of dollars... which you would have to honor...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2013, 03:01 PM
    What do you know about the property? Location? Anything?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 31, 2013, 04:34 PM
    Why don't you have a copy of the will? This shouldn't be mysterious. Find the lawyer who handled her will or the probate court where she lived when she died, and get a copy, and start from there. Go to the deed office in the town where the property is, to see who is on the deed and what easements there are on file.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2013, 09:18 PM
    Yes, send a letter to people writing you a check and ask for copy of the contract, look though mothers papers for contacts and information.

Has the deed been changed to you and brothers name ? Was anything filed with deed ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Louisiana law heir property [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother lived on 70 acres lad that she got half of when my grandfather died- and his children got the other half. When she died she gave her interest to my brother and when my mother died- she gave her interest to her children (four of us). The three of us (brother and two sisters or...

Can an heir sale their interest/shares to another heir of the same property? [ 1 Answers ]

What are the TN laws regarding an heir of joint heir property to sale their interest/shares to another heir of the same property?

Heir property in Louisiana [ 1 Answers ]

My father died in 1964, with a will; leaving an undivided one-half to my mother and an undivided one-half to me and my two sisters. She remarried about a year later, and she and her new husband somehow either sold or somehow got rid of the property. I don't know how (maybe you can answer), how...

Conveying inherited property to non-heir [ 1 Answers ]

In October 2008, my two sisters and I inherited property from my father who passed away in June. I would like to give my interest in the property to a non-heir (not my sisters). Is this possible without having to involve the probate court? I'm assuming I would need a warranty deed as opposed to a...

Heir Property [ 2 Answers ]

Please advise how heir property works, as my aunt has pasted and I've been informed that my grandparents on is heir property to each of my grandparents daughters(3) and my last aunt has deceased and I understand the oldest child of each daughter is the heir to this property in Tennessee. Please...

View more questions Search