Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loydx Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2005, 04:06 AM
    Wireless Routers
    Im trying to find the best type of wirless routers and there price.

Is there a site that reviews them simply? And easily? Or can someone recommend the brand worth getting.

We need it to go through out our house. I already have broadband internet, however I want it so others in the house can use the net.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Lloydx
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 4, 2005, 04:05 PM
    Wireless Routers
    Hi Loydx,

This site is in the UK.There are several pages of different routers to buy,plus the usual sale pitch info.

The site is http:http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/sitesearch/s...Query=wireless

As the site is in the UK,the pound to dollar ratio is £1.00 = $1.88 cents.

All the best,
    Nez. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2005, 07:03 PM
    Try practicallynetworked.com, also zdnet.com or cnet.com

Personally I prefer Linksys. Their equipment is top notch and their tech support is excellent. I had bought a D-Link because it was an excellent price and I'd had good experience with them. However, it was faulty. I returned it for a replacement and the replacement had the same problem.

I then got a Linksys Wireless to add to my existing Linksys wired router. Because I was adding it, I want'ed to make sure I configured it correctly. So I called Linksys on a Sat. the tech spent 20 minutes walking me through the setup and we got everything working.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2005, 09:20 PM
    How many computers do you have? As long as you avoid outside walls with their insulation, fishing hard wires around the house isn't that bad. I picked up wire, terminals, and wall plates cheap at a store that caters to electrical contractors. Home Depot is high onwore, but maybe better onwall plates. Cut a hole in the wall for the plate, drill a hole up from the basement or crawl space or down from the attic. Poke a length of coathanger wire through and hook on to the cable. Note, some wall already have wires or pipes in them. Avoid them. I have one wall plate where my cable comes out. It connects to a shelf full of stuff, the cable modem, router, telephone adapter, and then ether net cables to the computer right there and another one connecting to the same wall plate going down to the crawl space, over to the next room and up top a wall plate along with a phone wire. I have my wall plates about 4 feet off the floor to make sure the dogs don't chew the wires.

I pay $45 a month for cable and use it for VOIP, getting complete local phone service and unlimited long distance for a flat $27/mo. See www.vonage.com.

When my daughter and her husband visit, they plug their wireless router into the fourth port of my router for their laptops. Hardwire ties down laptops.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Feb 5, 2005, 10:33 AM
    Regardless of what wireless router you choose to get, please, please turn on the security features. They exist for a reason.
    TechProNow Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2005, 09:19 PM
    I often use Linksys, but there are a few things that you need to consider.

If you are ever planning on buying a Macintosh, D-Link wireless G is much more Apple friendly.

Also, the Apple Airport Extreme has MUCH more features and scalability than anything made specifically for PC. Apple Airport Extreme routers are also PC compatible.
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Sep 22, 2007, 09:54 PM
    If you know what you are doing, I would recommend a Linksys WRT54G series. Then upgrade to DD-WRT firmware to get better performance.
    TechProNow Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Sep 22, 2007, 10:35 PM
    I agree. I just updated my firmware to v24 RC3 from RC2.
    Great features in RC3!

I recommend getting a WRT54G version 1 through 3 (possibly 4). The ROM and RAM are more in those versions. Recent versions of the WRT have much less RAM and ROM, and a less effect with 3rd party firmware.

I've heard that the WRT54GL has more RAM and ROM than the WRT54G version though, and it said to come from the factory with Linux firmware making it easier to Flash.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless and non wireless connections [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I have a laptop from my employer to use at home and at work. At work it is networked via a wireless connection and broadband Internet access is via this network. I took it home and set up the connection to work with my own ISP (NTL) and that worked fine. The problem comes when I take it...

PC to laptop wireless [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a laptop with wireless capabilities ( HP winxp) and would like to set up a wireless connection with my PC ( winXP). I bought and installed a wireless DSL gateway( ActionTec) which I've installed and set up on my PC. However my laptop is not receiving any signal ( or so it seems). ...

Wireless Routers - Complete Novice Here! [ 24 Answers ]

Hi :) All this new technology gives me brain ache! So I would really appreciate the help of someone who understands about wireless routers and networks as I know practically nothing. Our main computer is a Sony Vaio laptop with XP professional, service pack 2. This computer belongs to work...

ISDN and Routers [ 6 Answers ]

Here's my problem. I have an older Cisco 1003 ISDN router setup for one of my software suppliers to access a server on my network. It only allows access to one IP address, the box they support. Now I need to change the routing table to allow access to two other IP's for remote desktop...

View more questions Search