Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loga1988 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2013, 10:59 PM
    French nationality reg
    Hi I am also in the same situation . My grandfather worked for french army in the second world war and he got "CARTE DE COMBATTANT " card and now my father and myself are trying to get the french nationality .My grandfather enjoyed french benefits like old age pension and other pensions and he did claim for the injury which happened to him during second world war but before the claim amount arrived my grandfather passed away .

Please guide can I get the french nationality
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2013, 04:43 AM
    The second world war was 70 years ago... what happened then has no bearing on descendants of the people who might have been eligible. Laws have changed several times since then...

You have to apply like anyone else... and see if they will accept you... and the place to do that is the French Embassy in your home country.

Jul 30, 2013, 05:39 AM
    My question is my grandfather passed away in 1979 till 1979 he enjoyed all the french government benefits so that "50 years law (loss of nationality by disuse)" will not impact us I guess . Is my guessing right .We already consulted one french nationality consultant he said OK to get nationality for us before but due to the above said law he said some problems are there.This 50 years count will start from 1979 or when ? That is my confusion
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2013, 06:15 AM
    I'd guess it would be from when he first gained them...

Jul 31, 2013, 07:57 AM
    Hi smoothy thank you very much for your reply one small doubt about that "Loss of nationality by disuse" law I guess the person who hold the nationality should use it in the past fifty years otherwise it will expire Am I right .Please smoothy clarify this ?

Thanks in advance and once again thank you very much for your reply
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2013, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by loga1988 View Post
    hi smoothy thank you very much for your reply one small doubt about that "Loss of nationality by disuse" law I guess the person who hold the nationality should use it in the past fifty years otherwise it will expire Am I right .Please smoothy clarify this ?

thanks in advance and once again thank you very much for your reply
    That's exactly how I view it, and how many other place do too... haowever since laws can change from time to time... I would go back and ask them this specifically... as the French authorities do have the final word on this. I say that because they will likely answer only what you specifically ask them as they likely field dozens if not hundreds of questions in a given day.

I believe that's what they will confirm... many other European countries have tightened up eligibility requirements over the last 20+ years I have been paying attention.

Some have made it progressively more difficult several times over that period.

Aug 1, 2013, 01:40 AM
    Thank you very much for your reply smoothy where can I get this clear information about this law to correct my understanding . If what I understood is correct I can apply for french nationality and If wrong I will simply leave it

thanks in advance and its really great that you spent your valuable time for replying my query thank you
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2013, 04:44 AM
    I would start with the French Embassy in the country you currently reside in.

Aug 1, 2013, 05:48 AM
    French nationality loss of disuse law clarification
    Can anyone please explain this law in detail

My understanding is if a person who holds the french nationality did not use it for more than 50 years then it will be lost by the person and his/her descendants

Am I right please clarify ?

Thanks in advance...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

French Nationality [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am from Pondicherry, South India. My mother got marriage in 23.04.1962. She was from Tamil Nadu. But my father was from Pondicherry. At the time of their marriage Pondicherry was the under the control of French Government. Is it possible for me to get French Nationality.

Can French citizen applying for US citizenship keep French nationality too? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am a French citizen with a green card since 1997, that I obtained through marriage. I have been living in the US since then and I would like to apply to a US citizenship but keep my French citizenship as well. Is this possible? Also, I am now separated from my husband. Can I...

View more questions Search