Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brooke_love Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2013, 05:58 PM
    I'm 15 and fat. Please help!
    Im a 15 yr old female. Im around 5'7" 5'6" and weight about 260-270 lbs! Im a huge ugly girl and I hate it! Ive tried for two years to lose weight. I was thinking about just stop eating or making myself throw up everything! Im tired of being fat! Im deppressed a lot but I have bipolar which makes it worse and I've tried suicide a couple times. Im lost and I need some help! Anybody out there?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 06:00 PM
    Have you been to the doctor lately for a checkup?

Jul 29, 2013, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Have you been to the doctor lately for a checkup?
    Ive been to the doctor about 4 months ago for a sickness. That's it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 06:04 PM
    The first step would be to see your doctor and figure out if there's a medical reason that you can't lose weight.

If that checkup comes back clean, the next step is seeing a dietician, getting on a good diet, and exercising.

What have you done to lose weight? What sort of foods do you eat? What sort of exercise do you do?

Starving yourself won't work, nor will forcing yourself to throw up. Gaining the weight didn't happen overnight, and you won't lose it overnight either. You have to commit to a proper diet and exercise, and then the weight will come off. But first, see your doctor. You may have a medical problem that's making it hard to lose the weight.

As for the rest of your issues, only a counselor can really help you with that.

Good luck.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2013, 06:08 PM
    What kinds of food are you eating?
    Avoid diet foods and drinks they actually trick your body into gaining weight.
    Avoid fast foods, junk foods, processed foods,
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 06:09 PM
    How do you know you are bipolar? Usually that doesn't manifest itself until the early 20s. You've seen a psychiatrist and been formally diagnosed?

Jul 29, 2013, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    The first step would be to see your doctor and figure out if there's a medical reason that you can't lose weight.

If that checkup comes back clean, the next step is seeing a dietician, getting on a good diet, and exercising.

What have you done to lose weight? What sort of foods do you eat? What sort of exercise do you do?

Starving yourself won't work, nor will forcing yourself to throw up. Gaining the weight didn't happen overnight, and you won't lose it overnight either. You have to commit to a proper diet and exercise, and then the weight will come off. But first, see your doctor. You may have a medical problem that's making it hard to lose the weight.

As for the rest of your issues, only a counselor can really help you with that.

Good luck.
    All right. The diets I've tried were cutting out grains like pasta and bread and no red meats... only water and eat a lot of veggies. Then I switched to high protein diet. I would eat protein bars and lots of veggies. Eat a variety of nuts. Then I tried a vegetarian diet. Diets are so easy for me to do and I never eat a lot. Im always outside walking with friends and I exercise a lot. I am very stalky for a girl and then on top of all the muscle I have fat! I just don't understand it.

Jul 29, 2013, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    How do you know you are bipolar? Usually that doesn't manifest itself until the early 20s. You've seen a psychiatrist and been formally diagnosed?
    Ive been on medication since 11. They first thought it was anger issues with PTSD and ADHD then I got diagnosed with bipolar manic depressive at age 13.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke_love View Post
    Ive been on medication since 11. They first thought it was anger issues with PTSD and ADHD then i got diagnosed with bipolar manic depressive at age 13.
    Which med? Some of them cause weight gain.

Jul 29, 2013, 06:34 PM
    Which med? Some of them cause weight gain.
    I don't remember all of them I was taking wellbutrin trazodone tegretol but I don't remember the others
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 06:37 PM
    I dont remember all of them i was taking wellbutrin trazodone tegretol but i dont remeber the others
    All at once? You don't have prescription bottles?

Jul 29, 2013, 06:42 PM
    All at once? You do't have prescription bottles?
    No he would make me try them all at different times and yeah I just looked and I was also taking perphenzine at some point at the moment I'm not taking any mesications and just lying to him about ne taking it. Because last time he tried admiting me but I'm afraid so I just tell him I'm fine.
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 06:45 PM
    no he would make me try them all at differnt times and yeah i just looked and i was also taking perphenzine at some point at the moment im not taking any mesications and just lying to him about ne taking it. Because last time he tried admiting me but im afraid so i just tell him im fine.
    Well, that's a horrible idea. No wonder you're suicidal. You need to take the meds your doctor prescribes. If you won't allow the doctors to help you, then there's no one else that can. You have to help yourself by doing what the doctors say. If you won't do that, there's really nothing anyone else can do. It starts with you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 06:50 PM
    Doesn't your doctor realize you aren't getting renewals of your current med(s)? Or are you renewing them but not taking them?

One of Tegretol 's side effects is rapid weight gain.

Jul 29, 2013, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Well, that's a horrible idea. No wonder you're suicidal. You need to take the meds your doctor prescribes. If you won't allow the doctors to help you, then there's no one else that can. You have to help yourself by doing what the doctors say. If you won't do that, there's really nothing anyone else can do. It starts with you.
    I know this. But he always tells me I shouldn't worry about any of them making me gain weight and I keep stressing that's PART OF THE REASON IM SO DEPRESSED! They only worry about my phycological issues. Im trying now to help with physical. What's my medicine going to do? Help me with my issues but even in my right state of mind(which even on those medications don't really help) I'm gaining weight. Which is giving me more reasons to be depressed. Eventually ill be a zombie taking meds. I don't like that. I just want to be happy with myself first before I'm"normal" in my mimd set. Do you get what I'm saying?

Jul 29, 2013, 07:30 PM
    Doesn't your doctor realize you aren't getting renewals of your current med(s)? Or are you renewing them but not taking them?

One of Tegretol 's side effects is rapid weight gain.
    Yeah just renewing them and then flushing them or throwing them away. /:
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 07:31 PM
    I just want to be happy with my self first before im"normal" in my mimd set. Do you get what im saying?
    It works just the opposite -- you first get normal and then work to solve problems to become the best you can be.

Talk with your psychiatrist about the weight gain. Depression all by itself makes you eat whatever you can get your hands on to fill up the emotional holes..
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2013, 07:33 PM
    I get what you are saying. My son was in the same catch 22 you are in. And the meds made him gain weight. Emphasis more to your Dr about your weight being the issue.
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 07:37 PM
    I know this. But he always tells me i shouldnt worry about any of them making me gain weight and i keep stressing thats PART OF THE REASON IM SO DEPRESSED! They only worry about my phycological issues. Im trying now to help with physical. Whats my medicine going to do? Help me with my issues but even in my right state of mind(which even on those medications dont really help) im gaining weight. Which is giving me more reasons to be depressed. Eventually ill be a zombie taking meds. I dont like that. I just want to be happy with my self first before im"normal" in my mimd set. Do you get what im saying?
    I do understand, but I think you're doing this backwards.

You talk about committing suicide. You talk about depression. You need to deal with the psychological first, then the weight. Losing weight will take time, and a lot of patience. If you're suffering psychologically, trying to take your own life, then it's going to be impossible to succeed.

You need to find the meds that work to balance you out. That can take time. It's hit and miss. But, if you refuse to take the meds your doctor prescribes, you're never going to find what works. Yes, you may gain more weight while on these meds, but weight can be lost. Your life, if you take it, can't be regained. You're not dealing with the right thing right now. Take care of the mental health first, then worry about your weight.

I completely understand what you're going through, I'm not bipolar but I have suffered through depression. I went off my meds many times, thinking I could handle it, not wanting to be dependent on meds. It failed every time.

Deal with your mental health first. Take the meds, figure out what works, then deal with your weight. You're only 15, right now you have to deal with the most important thing. Being skinny won't matter a heck of a lot if you're too depressed to enjoy it.

Jul 29, 2013, 07:37 PM
    It works just the opposite -- you first get normal and then work to solve problems to become the best you can be.

Talk with your psychiatrist abut the weight gain. Depression all by itself makes you eat whatever you can get your hands on to fill up the emotional holes..
    It can also lead the other way;not eating. But I'm fat and I know but my problem is if my medications keep making me gain weight and they don't even work why should I? Im not worried with anything but losing the weight so I can be first happy with myself that way I won't have to take medication JUST for depression! Just to control my mood swings and issues I have mentaly!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not fat but have belly fat [ 5 Answers ]

I don't look fat at all, but at some point I started gaining wieght and my stomach started to get fatter and fatter. All I want to do is get rid of it because the fat in there doesn't look quite nice. I'd be glad to hear an answer on ohw to lose my belly fat.:o Thanks

Is fat burning exercise useful to prevent storage of fat and weight loss? [ 2 Answers ]

Is fat burning exercise useful to prevent storage of fat and weight loss?

If an athlete weighs 153 and has 15.0 body fat by weight, how many pounds of fat doe [ 2 Answers ]

If an athlete weighs 153lb and has 15.0% body fat by weight, how many pounds of fat does the athlete's body contain?

Am I fat? [ 2 Answers ]

Hiee am pallavi.. am 75 kgs 18 yrs old and hv a height of about 5'7" to 5'8".. I am actually very broad.. broad shoulders too.. thus resulting.. I look odd infrnt of evry bdy.. people tease me calling khali.. I feel vry awkward.. plzz help.. tried evrythn..?

Why does Fat in food have anything to do with Fat in the body ? [ 8 Answers ]

Why does Fat in food have anything to do with Fat in the body ? Fat in the Body ought to be the stored form of surplus calories in food. Surplus calories are dependent on total calories in food and total expenditure From Body. Total calories have no direct relation to Fat calories. Similarly...

View more questions Search