Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke_love View Post
    It can also lead the other way;not eating. But im fat and i know but my problem is if my medications keep making me gain weight and they dont even work why should i? Im not worried with anything but losing the weight so i can be first happy with myself that way i wont have to take medication JUST for depression! Just to control my mood swings and issues i have mentaly!
    There are meds that DON'T make you gain weight. But continuing to toss them out will not fix the depression that causes you to overeat.

Losing weight will not make you happy if you are depressed. You will find another excuse to avoid the medication you need to get out from under the depression.
    brooke_love Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2013, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I get what you are saying. My son was in the same catch 22 you are in. And the meds made him gain weight. Emphasis more to your Dr about your weight being the issue.
    I have
    Like I said earlier he says he not concerned about weight because I'm stalky and all but I keep telling him 260 is pretty freaking big for a 15 yr old that is only 5'6" I just hate myself completely! But no,lets just make you more fat and more depressed. Yeah,no thanks doc.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 07:43 PM
    I have
    Like i said earlier he says he not concerned about weight because im stalky and all but i keep telling him 260 is pretty freaking big for a 15 yr old that is only 5'6" i just hate myself completly! But no,lets just make you more fat and more depressed. Yeah,no thanks doc.
    Then go to a different psychiatrist who will understand what you are saying.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 07:45 PM
    It can also lead the other way;not eating. But im fat and i know but my problem is if my medications keep making me gain weight and they dont even work why should i? Im not worried with anything but losing the weight so i can be first happy with myself that way i wont have to take medication JUST for depression! Just to control my mood swings and issues i have mentaly!
    If you're not taking your meds, then the meds aren't making you fat. Just saying.

Jul 29, 2013, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    There are meds that DON'Tmake you gain weight. But continuing to toss them out will not fix the depression that causes you to overeat.

Losing weight will not make you happy if you are depressed. You will find another excuse to avoid the medication you need to get out from under the depression.
    If there are meds out there that won't why wouldn't he give me those instead of the others. He hasn't gave me any other meds to try besides the others I told you about
    My main issue for me is my Weight. Mental issues is second!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 07:47 PM
    If there are meds out there that wont why wouldnt he give me those instead of the others. He hasnt gave me any other meds to try besides the others i told you about
    My main issue for me is my Weight. Mental issues is second!
    Your depression and eating incorrectly are making you fat. Only one of those you mentioned has a side effect of rapid weight gain.

Did you take the others correctly -- right dose at the right times?

Jul 29, 2013, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    If you're not taking your meds,then the meds aren't making you fat. Just saying.
    You would think huh? Im not gaining weight at the moment. Im just staying at the same weight it went down by 13 then up 1 then I just stayed at the same.

Jul 29, 2013, 07:50 PM
    Your depression and eating incorrectly are making you fat.
    That's why I asked for help. You know that right? Not for people to tell me go exercise. Eat right. Im looking for good answers to help. Not to make me feel worse about myself.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 07:53 PM
    Thats why i asked for help. You know that right? Not for people to tell me go exercise. Eat right. Im looking for good answers to help. Not to make me feel worse about myself.
    Everything you are telling us is making ME feel worse about you.

You must get the depression straightened out first. No diet or food change will work for you until then because you won't stick to anything very long.

Jul 29, 2013, 08:11 PM
    Everything you are telling us is making ME feel worse about you.

You must get the depression straightened out first. No diet or food change will work for you until then because you won't stick to anything very long.
    Okay so what your saying is to just take it. Find the right one. Theb worry about it? It sounds so simple. But it isn't how am I supposed to get better by making one of my issues worse. Ill try and get the ones that won't make me gain but what will I do if I cant? All I'm asking is for someone to please give me a diet and some exercises to help me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 08:15 PM
    Okay so what your saying is to just take it. Find the right one. Theb worry about it? It sounds so simple. But it isnt how am i supposed to get better by making one of my issues worse. Ill try and get the ones that wont make me gain but what will i do if i cant? All im asking is for someone to please give me a diet and some exercises to help me.
    First find a psychiatrist you can work/talk with and get meds without weight-gain side effects.

Does your psychiatrist just hand you a prescription or does he/she meet with you once a week for counseling? If not that, do you see a counselor at least once a week?

(P.S. I'm a counselor and will stick with you on this.)
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 08:20 PM
    Okay so what your saying is to just take it. Find the right one. Theb worry about it? It sounds so simple. But it isnt how am i supposed to get better by making one of my issues worse. Ill try and get the ones that wont make me gain but what will i do if i cant? All im asking is for someone to please give me a diet and some exercises to help me.
    There's really nothing that will work at this point.

I know it's depressing, but right now you have to get your mental issues under control. Like I said, you're doing this backwards. What's the point in losing a bunch of weight if you still feel crappy about yourself afterwards? Then you start taking meds and gain back all the weight you lost and you're back at square one.

Deal with the psychological first, and ignore the weight (as hard as that may be). When you find the right meds to deal with your mental issues, then we can start to concentrate on your weight.

Not saying that you should binge eat, or eat bad foods, or stop exercising. But, for now, your mental health is top priority. Start taking your meds.

Jul 29, 2013, 08:24 PM
    First find a psychiatrist youcan work/talk with and get meds without weight-gain side effects.

Does your psychiatrist just hand you a prescription or does he/she meet with you once a week for counseling? If not that, do you see a counselor at least once a week?

(P.S. I'm a counselor and will stick with you on this.)
    I go in once a month and we talk he is a counselor anda psychiatrist that works in hospitals and a place that he has his own work in. Which is where I go. He asks me how I am. I always reply fine. Then he talks to my mom about me then he will ask me the same questions" how are your moods? Are you still seeing things? Are your impulsions getting better?" Same replies fine. No. And a bit
    He gives me refills on the pills then my day goes on. Im glad you're a conselor
    Could I talk to you about other things to? Or are you just a listener?
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 08:27 PM
    I go in once a month and we talk he is a counselor anda psychiatrist that works in hospitals and a place that he has his own work in. Which is where i go. He asks me how i am. I always reply fine. Then he talks to my mom about me then he will ask me the same questions" how are your moods? Are you still seeing things? Are your impulsions getting better?" Same replies fine. No. And a bit
    He gives me refills on the pills then my day goes on. Im glad your a conselor
    Could i talk to you about other things to? Or are you just a listener?
    Your counselor can't help you until you're honest with him. You're not being honest at all. Until you are, you won't ever get the help you need.

Jul 29, 2013, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    There's really nothing that will work at this point.

I know it's depressing, but right now you have to get your mental issues under control. Like I said, you're doing this backwards. What's the point in losing a bunch of weight if you still feel crappy about yourself afterwards? Then you start taking meds and gain back all the weight you lost and you're back at square one.

Deal with the psychological first, and ignore the weight (as hard as that may be). When you find the right meds to deal with your mental issues, then we can start to concentrate on your weight.

Not saying that you should binge eat, or eat bad foods, or stop exercising. But, for now, your mental health is top priority. Start taking your meds.
    I know your right. But, I don't know what it is... its hard to explain... I rather be skinny and deal with my bipolar like I am now. Yeah I do get in a lot of trouble because of it but my appearance is too important to me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 08:28 PM
    I go in once a month and we talk he is a counselor anda psychiatrist that works in hospitals and a place that he has his own work in. Which is where I go. He asks me how I am. I always reply fine. Then he talks to my mom about me then he will ask me the same questions" how are your moods? Are you still seeing things? Are your impulsions getting better?" Same replies fine. No. And a bit
    You say FINE?? FINE?? Awkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!
    Im glad you're a conselor Could I talk to you about other things to? Or are you just a listener?
    We aren't supposed to take discussions off the boards. Could you start a new thread if they aren't related to this? You are anonymous, you know.

Jul 29, 2013, 08:35 PM
    You say FINE????? FINE????? Awkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!We aren't supposed to take discussions off the boards. Could you start a new thread if they aren't related to this? You are anonymous, you know.
    Yeah
    I can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not fat but have belly fat [ 5 Answers ]

I don't look fat at all, but at some point I started gaining wieght and my stomach started to get fatter and fatter. All I want to do is get rid of it because the fat in there doesn't look quite nice. I'd be glad to hear an answer on ohw to lose my belly fat.:o Thanks

Is fat burning exercise useful to prevent storage of fat and weight loss? [ 2 Answers ]

Is fat burning exercise useful to prevent storage of fat and weight loss?

If an athlete weighs 153 and has 15.0 body fat by weight, how many pounds of fat doe [ 2 Answers ]

If an athlete weighs 153lb and has 15.0% body fat by weight, how many pounds of fat does the athlete's body contain?

Am I fat? [ 2 Answers ]

Hiee am pallavi.. am 75 kgs 18 yrs old and hv a height of about 5'7" to 5'8".. I am actually very broad.. broad shoulders too.. thus resulting.. I look odd infrnt of evry bdy.. people tease me calling khali.. I feel vry awkward.. plzz help.. tried evrythn..?

Why does Fat in food have anything to do with Fat in the body ? [ 8 Answers ]

Why does Fat in food have anything to do with Fat in the body ? Fat in the Body ought to be the stored form of surplus calories in food. Surplus calories are dependent on total calories in food and total expenditure From Body. Total calories have no direct relation to Fat calories. Similarly...

View more questions Search