Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Star_Girl_123 Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Feb 3, 2005, 09:24 PM
    Monitors - CRT vs Flat Panels
    Hi

I am doing a research project on updating our computer monitors to flat screens. I would appreciate it if I could have a few explanations and comments on the differences between CRTs (which I believe? Are the bulky monitors) and Flatscreens?

I need responses as soon as possible. Thanks ;)

Trudy :confused:
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 4, 2005, 04:05 AM
    CRT vs Flat Panels
    Hi Trudy,

First CRT's create images by 'zapping' a phospher coating with electrons to make it glow.Different phosphors create red,blue,green or blue light.However weak magnetic fields like those of loud speakers can distort the electrons causing on-screen 'off colors'.

LCD's have several small fluorescent backlights.On top of these lamps is an array of tiny red,green,and blue filters.The task of the liquid crystals is either to block the light passing through the filter array or to open it up and let light through,thus making an LCD monitor brighter to look at.

The downside is that liquid crystals can 'leak' which reduces image contrast and can make text hard to read in the worst case.

As a final note,if you compare screen sizes,which is measured diagonally,from corner to corner,a CRT display area is 'less' than a same size LCD.One point to bare in mind if buying.Secondly,CRT displays,as you know,are more bulky than slimline LCD models.

CRT's can display horrible if you lower the refresh rate less than 72Hz.This can cause the picture to flicker.That's why top-of-the-shop tv's have a 100Hz flicker free resolution.

With LCD's,its best to leave the settings at Native resolution,which will produce the sharpest image.

As a footnote,there is new technology called OLED.Organic light-emitting diode display technology.It combines the 'best' of LCD and CRT technology.OLED is flat panel,lightweight and consumes little power.Not in the shops just yet though!

There you have it.The basic facts.

All the best,
    Nez. :)
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Feb 4, 2005, 08:05 AM
    Well, I'm a programmer since I was 9 (I'm 21 now) and I spend a lot of time in front of a monitor. I bought an LCD screen some year and a half ago. A week ago I had to do something on a computer at college which had an old CRT screen, the job took me 3 hours to complete. That was the first time I experienced headache from looking at the monitor. The thing is - it's all monitor's fault, not the length of looking at it, because I regularly sit in front of my own computer for like 5 hours a day.

Anyway, CRT is bad for eyes.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 4, 2005, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CroCivic91
    Well, i'm a programmer since i was 9 (i'm 21 now) and i spend a lot of time in front of a monitor. I bought an LCD screen some year and a half ago. A week ago i had to do something on a computer at college which had an old CRT screen, the job took me 3 hours to complete. That was the first time i experienced headache from looking at the monitor. The thing is - it's all monitor's fault, not the length of looking at it, because i regularly sit in front of my own computer for like 5 hours a day.

Anyway, CRT is bad for eyes.
    I work in the care field,and am regularly looking at a monitor screen to type in reports,etc.At work all the staff have access to LCD monitors,which is heavon compared to CRT.I have an LCD monitor at home and being a 'geek' as my partner calls me (she can't understand why I want to spend hours surfing the net?),I get eye strain after so long.The best advice is to move your eyes away from the screen every fifteen minutes.But this is'nt always practical.

I remember the days of an old 60Hz CRT monitor I had which burst into flames many years ago due to over use :D Not funny! It was then I decided to invest in LCD.

For those that want to know more about being sensible in front of a monitor,visit http://www.displaymate.com/flicker.html and read their review of CRT and LCD screens,and the best ways to view them.

Cheers,
    Nez.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2005, 06:46 PM
    First, "flat screen" refers to a CRT tube with a flat front as opposed to older ones that had a slightly rounded front. A LCD is referred to as a "flat panel".

Second, In my opinion and experience, the only real advantage of flat panel over CRT is space. While the price diferential has come down a ways, there is still a big difference in cost.

I work on a 21" CRT in the office, then come home to a 19" flat panel. For well over a year I was using a 17" flat panel at the office and a 17" CRT at home. No headaches going back and forth, no measurable differences in screen quality.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2005, 07:17 AM
    LCD monitors
    HI,
    LCD monitors rule!
    You can get a good one for around $400 US, or cheaper, depending on where you buy it.
    Best investment I ever made!
    fredg
    PS; All the other experts have given you specific details on the differences between the two monitors. The best thing about the LCD flat panel is space!
    I have a lot more space now, not taken up by the old obsolete full depth monitor.
    Also, have you noticed what the next generation TV's are? Flat TV's.

As another addition:
    Most offices now are switching to LCD's. There is not as much "flickering", if any, of the screen, and it does allow one to have much less eye strain as pointed out by other experts.

Just for information:
    If you wish to add or subtract from an Experts' reputation, or show apreciation or discontent with an answer, click on the "balance scales" icon by the Experts' name. You can then choose what you wish.

Feb 14, 2005, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    You can get a good one for around $400 US, or cheaper
    $400 gets you a good 17-19" flat panel monitor. For half that you can get a good 19" CRT model.

I've also seen concerns expressed by reviewers about the life of LCD screens. That they might not last as long as CRTs.

But the bottomline is what the individual needs are. If you need the space savings and you can afford the extra cost, then go for the flat panel.
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2005, 01:52 AM
    Long Life and computers don't mix. I never plan on keeping anything beyond 3 years and typical LCD panels last much longer than that. Another concern is power usage. A flat panel is going to draw less power, put off less heat, and obviously save you on space. They do cost more and the quality is not as good as a CRT yet. I recommend the viewsonic VP201b or VP171B depending on size. Its what I use and they look great!
    harviele Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2005, 12:52 PM
    Lcd Monitors And Headaches
    I've owned a Viewsonic lcd 15" monitor for several years and never had a problem. We recently got 17" and 19" LCD monitors at work (HP and Dell) and They appear to give me serious headaches. Any suggestions?

Dec 8, 2005, 01:27 PM
    Aspirin, Tylenol, Advil :D

I use a 19" LCD at home and a 21" CRT at work. I've used 17" and 15" both LCDs and CRTs. Never a twinge.
    harviele Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2005, 03:18 PM
    Monitors - CRT vs Flat Panels
    Thanks, I've used all 3 and they offer a temporary fix but each one is only effective for about 2 days and then I have to switch. :rolleyes:
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Dec 8, 2005, 09:04 PM
    Now the non-technical stuff...

CRT monitors doubles as heater during winter time. With natural gas price going up, up, up, CRT monitor may not be a bad choice. ;)

Flat monitors are more environment friendly. It won't take up as much space in dump sites. :cool:

CRT monitors are for real programmers and engineers.

Flat monitors are for marketing, and managers.

CRT monitors make good door stop after they are dead.

Flat monitors make good bookends after they are dead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compressor panels too dirty to measure freon pressure? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having problems with my A/C unit. A service technician came to My house, looked at the compressor unit, and told me the panels Were full of debris that he couldn't accurately measure the freon Pressure. He asked to clean the panel for $89, which did not Include the service call, another ...

Dual Monitors [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how, or even if, one can run two or more monitors from the same computer?

1993 grand marquis door panels [ 1 Answers ]

Anybody know how to take the door panels off a 93 grand marquis, thanks in advance.

Different monitors [ 1 Answers ]

In a tft screen of computer what is the abbreviation of tft.tft stands for what?and how does it function compred to a crt monitor?

Multiple Monitors. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Experts! Is there any way to hook up 2 or 3 monitors onto one hard drive? Someone told me I can hook up two monitors to one hard drive, and then when my mouse is moved to the left, it'll go to the monitor on the left. (I hope I'm explaining it correctly!) I'm wondering what type of...

View more questions Search