Ask
    King1978 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2013, 02:02 PM
    Tips on how to move your 401k
    Moving your monies to other accounts to get the best return for your money
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2013, 02:25 PM
    You are aware there are steep penalties to move money OUT of a 401K plan unless you move it to ANOTHER 401K plan?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 06:45 AM
    smoothy: not necessarily true - you can transfer your 401(k) plan to another qualified retirement plan (such as an IRA) without penalty.

King1978: In general I think it's a good idea once you have left a company where you have a 401(k) plan to transfer your 401(k) plan to an IRA at a discount brokerage such as Schwab, Fidelity, Vanguard, etc. The reason is that in general these firms offer greater flexibility in investments of no-load mutual funds and have lower operating fees than most employers' 401(k) plans. In general I would not recommend moving your account to an IRA managed by a bank or insurance company because they tend to have higher fees such as up-front or back-end loads and operating fees that are a bit more hidden but that can significantly detract from your investment performance over time.

One scenario where I would not recommend making the transfer from a 401(k) to an IRA is if you have left employment after age 55, are younger than age 59-1/2, and are planning on taking distributions from your retirement plans before age 59-1/2. You are alloweed to do this from a 401(k) plan without penalty, but for an IRA you must wait till age 59-1/2 to avoid the early withdrawal penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deciding whether to cash out 401k to survive is the right move. [ 3 Answers ]

I own majority stake (60%) in a house with a great mortgage. Past year+ company I worked for dropped us down to minimum wage with periodic supplemental distributions based on our original salaries and money in. 100% paid benefits still. Needless to say I stuck around hoping for the best; 17 pay...

Lightening dyed hair tips (tips are almost black) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have medium auburn hair naturally. I dyed my hair a dark auburn but there is a section of my hair where the tips (two inches from root to tip) is almost black. I want to lighten these tips. Would using Peroxide Volume 20 mixed with shampoo do this?

Can I move my investments in an existing 401k from stocks and bonds to gold? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I move my investments in an existing 401k from stocks and bonds to gold?

Should I move my former 401k into an IRA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have taken a dist from my former 401k into an eligible retirement a/c. If I open an IRA should I merge the former 401k-eligible retirement a/c to this IRA?

View more questions Search