Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryrhino Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2013, 11:59 AM
    Remove file from windows temp file
    Hello,
    My OS is Vista. I am trying to remove all files from my windows temp file. Most of the items in the temp folder I am able to remove by using select all then delete. The one I am not able to remove is called boot_interprosses it says it is a file folder. When I try to remove I get the error destination folder access denied. I have tried to use Unlock to try to unlock the file and then delete but that did not work. When I open the file skype_c2c_messaging_mutex appears. How do I delete this file and prevent it from returning? Please provide clear easy to understand instructions.
    Also daily I get files/folders in the temp file that start with avg_ is there a way of preventing these from returning?

Thanks for any and all help.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2013, 12:41 PM
    Try booting into Safe Mode and deleting the offending item.

Safe mode will only start programs that are essential to Windows' operation. So, for example, Skype should not start when in safe mode.

I assume your antivirus program is AVG, and that is what is generating the avg_ files in your temp folder. There is really no way around this (other than running a different AV program), but there is also no harm in these files.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    ryrhino Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2013, 01:22 PM
    When I was in safe mode I was able to delete all files in the temp folder. When I booted up in not safe mode the files were still listed. Are the files deleted or not?
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

Jul 29, 2013, 10:50 AM
    Chances are there is a program that uses the temp directory to store temporary files. If this program runs in the background then it will automatically re-create those files if they are deleted. If you can track down the program that is creating them, and determine it to be a program you don't need then you should be able to uninstall the program, and that should keep the temp files from being re-created.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2013, 11:38 AM
    I have successfully used this in the past: UNLOCKER 1.9.2 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Windows XP - File Permissions [ 1 Answers ]

So, the other day I finally got bored with "simple file sharing" in windows XP and disabled it so I could actually set permissions on files. My intentions where to disable the guest account from accessing my development folders with all my source code and stuff... I accidentally selected the wrong...

Very Large Unknown File in Temp Folder [ 17 Answers ]

Is anyone familiar with this file: WFV6.tmp I regulary clean out the temporary and prefetch files from My system, but several days ago the above file appeared in The folder "temp" which is accessed from the "Run" command On Windows XP Home Edition. It's not in the one "%temp%." I...

Tmp file I cannot remove [ 5 Answers ]

WFV6.tmp cannot remove this file says being says being used by another person or program

Can't remove dowloaded file [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Antivirus 2008 software file on my computer and can't delete it. It does a free Scan but will not remove any infections/viruses w/o purchasing. Several times it has Blocked my navigation to the internet. While trying to delete this error message Appears: Cannot...

Opening the .that temp internet file [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if its possible to access the information inside the temp internet files? And if so how?

View more questions Search