Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Strikerr Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2013, 06:16 PM
    Carpet floor with staples in it, what's the right thing to do?
    Hi All,

I have this issue with all my clients who has carpet floor. Its often to see a lot of used staples dropped on the carpet here and there, especially around the printer. Some of them can be cleaned by vacuum but some of them get caught in the carpet's fiber, these ones are really difficult to remove, I can do nothing but to use a pliers to plug them out. I have to spend a lot of time on doing this every time.

Any better idea of remove them? Or shall I just vacuum what ever I can vacuum and leave those ones which get trapped in the carpet?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2013, 10:28 PM
    They most likely become embedded because of foot traffic. In some cases vinyl mats might be helpful if the client would agree to install them.
    My first thought was using a magnet but if you have to use pliers, that won't do it.
    Have you discussed the problem with the client? Constant removal with pliers must take its toll on the life of the carpet. Possibly the employer could educate the employees to remove the staples over the trash can, post signs etc. Doesn't seem to me that this should be entirely your problem.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 26, 2013, 11:21 PM
    Leave a note for your clients that staples embedded in carpet don't come out with any vacuum.

Jul 27, 2013, 05:25 AM
    Hi Smearcase, joypulv, I have tried to mention this when I met the person in charge, she was suggesting me to plug them out with a tweezer or a plier.

One of these place has another issue, one of them is a painting company, some of the workers works in the office (where the floor is carpeted) and also works in the workshop where has paint drips every where, so they have brought quite a few drops of paint on to the carpet floor near the entrance of office. We only clean this place twice a week, when we get there the paint is already dried on the carpet and I have no idea how to remove these but scrub really really hard with methylated spirit.
    Any advise on this type of situation would be very appreciated.
    current pert

Jul 27, 2013, 05:28 AM
    Print out a Change Order for both companies! If they want a cleaning company to remove staples with tweezers and cut dried paint out, they pay by the HOUR to do so. They are taking advantage of you. Neither of these is standard cleaning.
    It helps if a change order is on paper a different color than white. Just for emphasis.
    If they claim they will find someone else, call their bluff. You can't keep losing money.

Jul 27, 2013, 05:49 AM
    Im sorry Joylulv, I'm really new to this business, can you please explain a Change Order to me? Or tell me where can I search information of the definition and possibly a template as well?
    Is sending out Change Order to clients that have odd requests common?
    current pert

Jul 27, 2013, 07:08 AM
    A change order is any new work over and above what the contract specified. 'Cleaning' doesn't include removing items from carpets that don't come out with a vacuum cleaner. If your contract specifics carpet CLEANING, then perhaps it would, but even carpet cleaning is basically shampoo.
    Change Orders are typically used in all the building trades, but there's no reason not to use them in the service trades. You make your own on your printer: client name, date, work entailed, terms (rate of pay and when due), and signatures by both parties, also with dates. Very short and simple. A new one for each individual new item. You don't do the work until they sign it.

Jul 28, 2013, 03:50 AM
    Hi Joypulv, thanks for your quick explain, I will do up a change order and pass on to them and I will let you know how it goes. However, how should I react if they say they will start looking for new service provider? I have the feeling that they probably would do that.
    current pert

Jul 28, 2013, 04:24 AM
    Tell them you have done your best to include extras in your contract but that the TIME is costing you dearly, and you aren't even breaking even.
    (Say that even if it's exaggerating.)
    Say that you cheerfully do plenty of little extras already, but this is too much to ask.
    Say that you are good at what you do, and reliable, and don't steal or break things, and they are missing a good thing.

Jul 28, 2013, 04:31 AM
    OK, now I'm ready to face them, I will post the updates here if I have any. Thanks again Joypulv.

Aug 2, 2013, 03:48 AM
    OK, Joypulv, I got some answers, the painting company replied me, let me not worry about the paint drops on the carpet, they will get the workers to clean it when they think its necessary. The staple issue company didn't reply to me and not complaining about the remaining staples in the carpet any more.

So, I think we have successfully sorted the issues.

Thank you very much for your advise and help Joypulv.
    current pert

Aug 2, 2013, 04:48 AM
    Good job

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there such a thing as carpet to laminate strip that would bend to a shape? [ 2 Answers ]

Rather than have a straight line between the carpet and laminate flooring I want to create a half circle shape where the computer chair goes, so that the wheels on the chair do not go onto the carpet - just to give a bit more moving space by the computer.

How to transition hardwood floor to carpet/tile on a slab floor [ 1 Answers ]

We installed new hardwood flooring on our slab floor, it is a floating floor. How do we transition to tile and carpet? Do we need to glue the transitions down?

View more questions Search