Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    new2you Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2013, 06:48 PM
    Ask an HR question
    I work in a small IT group for a Fortune 500 company. The lead in my group is technically capable but does not manage her personal life well. She has borrowed money from me on several occasions and always paid me back. The last time she borrowed $150 because her electricity was about to be turned off. She did not pay that back on time, so the next time she asked I told her I didn't have money to spare. Two months later a bill collector left a voicemail on my phone saying she had listed me as a reference and they really needed to talk to her (drive time loan). At that point I went to our manager and let her know that I was uncomfortable with the situation. She didn't want to get involved and told me to take it up with my lead. I forwarded the message to her. Since then she has "forgotten" to tell me about work assignments, "forgot" I had changed my work schedule (even though I sent 3 emails and the rest of the group knew of the change), leaves me out of important meetings, etc. Now my company is downsizing and as the lead she will have input. I am a good performer with solid appraisals, and have documentation of these events. Any advice as to what to do?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2013, 07:11 AM
    Since you have documentation take it back to the one that told you she didn't want to be involved. She didn't want to be involved because that was your personal between the 2 of you. If you show her proof that she is leaving you in the dark and not giving you your work assignments that's a different story because it IS work related and affects the company.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2013, 10:16 AM
    Or ask that you be transferred to a new lead.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 26, 2013, 11:22 AM
    Huge mistake going to the manager over something this personal. I see no future there because of this. Find another job.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2013, 08:53 AM
    " Two months later a bill collector left a voicemail on my phone saying she had listed me as a reference and they really needed to talk to her (drive time loan). At that point I went to our manager and let her know that I was uncomfortable with the situation."

I have no idea why you went to your Manager over a phone call from a bill collector asking you to have your "friend" call about a past-due bill. You tell the bill collector to stop calling (Federal law) and you tell your "friend" to call the bill collector.

I think the conversation with the Manager was "gotcha!" Debt unpaid, bill collector gives OP leverage, off to the Manager she goes.

Do I also think the solution is a transfer, as Scott suggested? Yes Do I think a written statement to the Manager with enclosures concerning being "out of the loop"? Yes.

Do I think this job is doomed? Yes, if I were the Manager.

The complaint was that a bill collector called one employee looking to collect from another and #1 went to "me" because she wants out of the loop? I'd figure she couldn't handle her personal life and was bringing it into the office. Not good for morale, not good for anyone.

And if there's proof that #2 is cutting out #1 I'd be unhappy about that, too.

Reminds me of the employee who came to me to complain that another employee's husband "came on to her" at a law firm picnic. Guess who got terminated - and not by me, by the managing partner?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 28, 2013, 09:43 AM
    What snowball's chance is there of a transfer? The company is downsizing, the IT dept is small already, and the damage is done. Just hope you are laid off rather than fired.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

Management Accounts Question: Variance Question? [ 0 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I'm having. The Q is as follows; McCauleys Ltd uses a standard costing system and has produced the following production information for the month of June 2010. Standard Actual Sales (units) 10,000 10,000 Sales price per unit £30 £32...

Pregnancy question 14 dpo question about symptoms [ 1 Answers ]

Im 14 days dpo and have been having twinges and fluttering in my uterus. I had sex a couple of days before I ovulated and while I was ovulating. Could I be pregnant?

To submit a question, where is the Question Template to be found? [ 5 Answers ]

When I attempt to print a hard copy from mail received, via my INBOX. The following error template appears... Internet Explorer Script Error Line : 2021 Char : 1 Error : Unspecified Code : 0 URL : ...

View more questions Search