Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Juve2013 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2013, 12:16 PM
    I have no power in my garage.
    I was using my central vac and I tripped the breaker for the garage went to turn it back on but there is still no power. I tested the breaker and it still works. What could be the problem.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 25, 2013, 12:29 PM
    Is any of the outlets GFI? They should be.

Jul 25, 2013, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Is any of the outlets GFI? They should be.
    No I thought the same thing two there is no GFI, but I don't now if it makes a difference but there are two circuits under the garage breaker. Will tracing where the feed goes help.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 25, 2013, 02:40 PM
    Can you please clarify the above statement for me, please.

Are you saying that there are two conductors attached to the one screw of the breaker? My concern here is that unless this particular breaker is "Listed" for two conductors it is a code violation! If it is listed for two conductors, then you have a multi-wire branch circuit, which makes the connections on the Neutral conductor extremely important.

Is there only one "Neutral" (white) conductor for this circuit breaker or are there also 2 whites?

It is very possible that the breaker did not get thrown far enough to the OFF position to release the latch completely. Try pressing the breaker handle as far to the OFF position as you can, then push the breaker to the ON position.

If you have a multi-meter, test the voltage at the output of the breaker. If it is zero (0) then either the breaker has failed after resetting in which case replace the breaker. If the voltage is 120 V, then check the failing receptacle and verify that it is now supplying the 120V.

Pease do not use a non-contact voltage tester inside the panelboard. They can pick up the radiated noise of adjacent breakers. Use a multi-meter.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 25, 2013, 04:32 PM
    A garage outlet should be a GFI or on a GFI circuit. The garage circuit may go through a bath or exterior GFI outlet.

Turn breaker off then find all outlets and light that do not work. Turn breaker back on, then check all outlets and light again. You can then begin trouble shooting. Because garage outlets should be on GFI, a tripped GFI is a likely cause but not the only one.

Jul 25, 2013, 04:32 PM
    Yes u are correct there are two conductors under one screw of the breaker. Its an older home and it has certain electrical defects. It's a 15 amp breaker and it is in the fully on position. But one of circuits is working the other for the garage is not. If the multimeter does not read 120 V what does that indicate?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 06:04 AM
    With the breaker in the "ON" position a zero (0) reading says the breaker is not working and both circuits should be dead.

You say one wire is hot while the other wire is dead? In order for that to be true, than the breaker is working and connections to the breaker must be checked. Do you know how to pull a breaker from the panelboard safely and inspect the breaker's screw connections?

If you can, safely pull the breaker, than I would take the first confirm that two connections are allowed. It should be written on the breaker. If they are, make sure that both conductors are tight. If only one connection is allowed, than I would take the breaker to a Lowe's or Home Depot and ask one of the electrical clerks for a breaker matching the size of your breaker but allows two connections - or get two slim-line breakers. Using slim-line breakers would provide each circuit its own breaker.

Another thing to make sure of is that the Neutral conductors are connected properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No power to garage. [ 3 Answers ]

Originally Posted by dumdum64 I went to replace an extension cord in the garage that supplied power to the garage door opener, with a wire from the main panel to the opener in the garage. I put the wires in the same location were the extension cord got its power from. When I replaced the...

Running power to garage and continuing the power to a cabin later. [ 4 Answers ]

I'm building a garage this year and a cabin in the following years and I need to run power to the garage before building it. The service is about 60 feet away from the main breaker location and when I build the cabin, I would like to be able to continue the power from the garage to the cabin (120...

New garage power [ 11 Answers ]

Well I spent all my money building a new detached garage in my backyard. Of course I pulled the permit myself and trusted some of the concerns to be dealt with by subs. I had the plumber run me an under ground line for the power when they ran the sewer to the garage. Anyway the line was only...

I need power in garage [ 6 Answers ]

What is the cheapest solution to power my council garage, which will contain: 2 technics 1210 decks 1 standard mixer 1 amp 2 speakers 1 computer 1 monitor 1 modem

Power to garage [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently looking to run electrical to my garage. I live in Minneapolis, Mn. I have heard numerous ways in which to accomplish this but thought I would ask hear for some further advise? I would also like to put in two outside outlets with boxes and possibly lighting above the boxes in the...

View more questions Search