Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Except for the violent parts:
    Does biblical violence cause aggressive biblical readers?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 09:06 AM
    This is exactly why faith has no place in school. Why on Earth would a scientific fact be offensive to you? That's like saying you're offended by the notion that a ball will fall if you drop it, or that an opaque object in a light beam casts a shadow.

I suppose people were having this same debate hundreds of years ago over flat vs. round Earth. Or the Stars being actual entities that were able to be visited vs the canvas of the heavens.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 09:08 AM
    It is offensive to me because I do not believe that it is fact. I think it is a way for science to have an answer to everything. And every question does not have an answer.

If evolution says we "evolved" from monkeys - then why are there still monkeys?
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Heh, because we and monkeys evolved from a monkey-like ancestor (that we would still call a type of monkey). They evolved one way, we evolved another, dependent upon our environments.

If you'd like to question evolution further, I'd be happy to answer any queries you have in another thread. It IS scientific fact, though. And it DOES fit all the evidence.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Sorry, I just don't buy it. And with that - school is giving one option - why not the others.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Because the other options are not agreed upon by people who's job is to look at all the evidence and to propose the best model (scientists). I have faith that the scientific community would happily back creationism if it were the simplist model that had sufficient evidence, but it does not. In fact it contradicts much of the evidence we have.

They are not the deceptive single-minded beings that creationists seek to make them out to be. They are paid to be open-minded.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Oh, so because people in white coats said it was true - it must be. I don't put much faith in that at all. If they can tell us how we got here - why can't they figure out the cure for the common cold or cancer. They DO NOT have all the answers. They are just regular joes like the rest of us. Trying to make sense of something and this is the best they could come up with.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 09:24 AM
    NowWhat,
    They haven't fingered the cure for the common cold or cancer (actually fine Canadian scientists are close but they are getting stymied by American Big Pharma) but they have figured out how to cure thousands of ailments. They is a reason that your child is no longer dying of polio or german measles or a fever or an infection - it's thanks to fine people in white coats. If you have kids you should be extremely grateful that science has brought what it has to us.

Just because you don't understand something does not mean you should reject it outright. You are probably happy driving a car or watching TV, I can assure you that God didn't develop those for you.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 09:34 AM
    You're comparing two completely different things. Evolution is the theory that explains how species form and how life got from a few strands of RNA to all the life we see today.

Your examples are technological ones, not theoretical ones.

Evolution goes a long way toward explaining why cancerous cells form. There are plenty of treatments for cancer which are getting better all the time. The reason there isn't a cure is because it isn't an organism like most diseases are, it's your own body and it's caused by how our cells work and how they are damaged. We have to try and reverse that damage.

The common cold EVOLVES so well and quickly into different strains that we cannot cure it with a single cure. There ARE cures for it but those cures will only kill 99% of a strain. The others have mutations that make them resistant to the cure and they multiply and voilą we have a strain that is resistant to the cure. (this is the definition of evolution)

Scientists don't have an answer to everything. Sure. I don't see how that's an argument against them. God has given us precious few answers too. Some of the answers he has given us don't match up to the evidence we have found. This has 2 conclusions. God is lying to us (for whatever motive), or that he doesn't exist.

The evidence is there. You can look at it and come to whatever conclusions you want. But people who have studied this and all other theories for their entire lives have come to the conclusion that evolution fits all the facts. It seems to be folly to just dismiss their conclusions like you are.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 12, 2007, 09:38 AM
    NowWhat has avery good point. Because one particular religion is more prevalent in a given area, doesn't mean that it is more correct than another. Just more popular.

Is anyone so afraid of learning about the bible that they shudder at even being exposed to the idea of looking inside the cover?

And some of its implications, hasn't looked at the Gregorian calandar : Gregorian calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's long but I found it quite interesting reading.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 09:42 AM
    My point of bring evolution into the discussion is this - It goes against my beliefs. Just as the Bible goes against others. Yet, one is taught and the other isn't.
    If you believe this - that is your choice. If you believe the Bible - again your choice.

And NK, I do believe that God provided things such as cars and TV for us. He gave the people responsible for those inventions the knowledge. I believe that, With God, All things are possible.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat
    And NK, I do believe that God provided things such as cars and tv for us. He gave the people responsible for those inventions the knowledge.
    You don't believe that the persons themselves gained the knowledge? That it was given to them by God?
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 09:46 AM
    I don't think that God came to them in a dream or something like that - if that is what you are asking.

But, I do think that God gives us a path. God gives us talents. Like the great artists of the world. They have a God given ability to paint the most beautiful pictures. Unlike me, who can't even draw a straight line.
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Jul 12, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    You don't believe that the persons themselves gained the knowledge? That it was given to them by God?
    NK... that is right!! You can't even breathe in and out without His permission!
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Tessy,
    I really don't undertand you. Was that sarcasm?
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Jul 12, 2007, 10:00 AM
    LOL... nope... absolute truth! ')
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Weird 'cause I breathe a whole lot without his permission.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 10:08 AM
    I so want to respond to that, NK, but I am just not up for the can of worms today. :)
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 10:10 AM
    NW,
    Let's take a break from here. I agree. :)
    Wait, let me go get His permission first. :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 10:13 AM
    You know, if I were a different kind of person, I would have to say you are just a smart a$$. But, I am not that kind of person. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where in the Bible? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Catholic and I am trying to remember but can't as to where in the Bible I could find about the story where Jesus gave three men pieces of silver (?), the pieces of silver represents the gifts that he left us. God said the number of silver is given according to one's ability. God would later...

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Bible question [ 119 Answers ]

:) Hello everyone, I have a question for all you Bible scholars. What is the theme of the Bible and what does it have to do with the end of this system of things? Thanks, Happyperson

Bible study [ 6 Answers ]

(2) What great zeal and self denial does Nehemiah, his brethren, his servants and the men of the guard which followed him show?

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search