Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Your Opinion on The Bible in School
    Hello. I wanted to get everyone's opinion about teaching the Bible in public school.

I just received the April 2nd issue of Time Magazine and there is an article about offering an elective class centered around the Bible. The article listed some pretty interesting information about the Bible - such as: it has never left the top seller's list, it is the most translated book ever. And did you know, that Shakespeare quoted the bible over 1300 times in his work. And it is thought to be one of the best books ever written.

Some will say that the decision on God is up to their child - "let them decide" but how can they if this is never introduced as an option?

What are you thoughts? Would you object if your child chose to take this class? If so, Why? Do you think that the Bible should be in schools?
    If you are outside of the USA, what are the "rules" in your country for Church and State?

Personally, I think this was a thought provoking topic - I hope you agree!
    phoenix1664 Posts: 226, Reputation: 19

Mar 26, 2007, 05:45 AM
    Well yes I think that someone should be able to learn about the Bible if they wish as long as it is not forced for them to learn.

Children don't do much religion in most schools and having te opertunity there would bb a good thing
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 05:52 AM
    I believe teaching a Bible class in a public school is a great idea. There are philosophy classes taught that are mandatory! So you encounter the people who would say no one is going to force their child to read the Bible - make the course an elective. So, who is qualified to teach this course?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 05:54 AM
    It should be an elective. Keep the separation of religion and state.
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    So, who is qualified to teach this course?
    The teacher that the article mentions (a H.S. teacher in Texas) is just that a H.S. Teacher.
    Judging from the article, she puts it out there and then as a class they discuss the meaning.
    I think if you got a, say, catholic priest or a baptist preacher - you would fall into a trap of they are teaching just the catholic or baptist take on the bible. I do think that you would need to get someone that has an understanding of the Bible to make the class worthwhile.
    I would love to know the stats on school violence before the Bible was taken out of school as opposed to now. Is there a difference? Or with the media - the information is just more available?

Personally, I think this step is a great one. I believe that the Bible is our guide book on how to live.

Offering the Bible in school does open a door to offering other religious/cultural classes - Muslim, Buddhist, etc.. What do you think about having those classes available in school?
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Why not have an introduction to religion where all religions get equal time? That way children can be exposed to the diversity that is out there.
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 06:28 AM
    I will honestly say that I am not versed in what other religions believe. I know what I believe. How much time would it take to completely study each religion? To get a good understanding?
    The Bible alone as 66 books - all very indepth. I would like to see electives deticated to just the Bible and then if others become available - then there are more options.
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 06:32 AM
    Just an overview of each is enough. To do any in-depth study of all the bible's books one should send their child to bible school not public school.
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 06:51 AM
    When I was in high school, there was a state mandatory class called, "Religons of the World". We even had to take that, being in a Catholic high school. One of our parish priests taught the class, but he balanced it out with Friday field trips to the city's churches and visiting with the respective pastors of each denomination. Easy to do when you live in a small city of 7500 people. I don't know how the public school system taught the class but I know who taught it - the instructor who also taught Problems of Democracy, Sociology, and World History.

If you make a class on the study of The Bible an elective - you would not have to offer all the other religion's Bibles for study. You are not forcing anyone to take this elective, therefore you are not forcing a way of thought onto the student.
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 07:05 AM
    Before I had a child, I was sure that when that day came and it was time to send her to school - it would be to a private christian school. She is now in 1st grade at a public school. We live in a really small town with a brand new school and there really isn't good christian schools available. I could send her to catholic school - but we aren't catholic.
    She has always been taught to say her blessing before she eats - so at lunch she would do so - until one of the teachers told her she couldn't. We were outraged. But, to solve the problem and not cause some big scene - we told her to just say it in her head.
    But, shouldn't she be allowed, under her 1st amendment rights to say the blessing if she so chooses?
    We send her to church on Wednesday nights and on Sunday mornings to get her "dose" of the bible from people who truly know how to teach it. And for some kids, that is all they get. Is it enough? Should that be a part of daily life?
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Yes, your daughter has her first amendment rights to say grace. If she were Muslim, she would have her rights. If she were an athesist, she would have her rights. Call or write your Attorney General's office about this. If you get nowhere, there is always the ACLU.
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 07:08 AM
    I'm not american so the 1st amendment means nothing to me. As for something being part of your daily life that's up to you, outside of school. Remember that public school funds come from taxpayers of all religions not just christians.
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Good Point - Do you know that in the states - over 68% of the population say they are Christian. So, does majority win?
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 07:29 AM
    That majority is dwindling, it should not win since it's not about majority either.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Mar 26, 2007, 07:49 AM
    I went to a Roman Catholic Primary and Secondary school, and as such I was taught Religious Education from a very early age.

In Secondary school these lessons (much like shygrneyzs' post) were split up between different religions, I found this an amazing insight into both my own and other people's belief systems.

I think that most schools should teach religion on a whole, whether it is a religious school or not, then maybe the world would have the little bit more tolerance it needs!

BTW, the last bits of the Bible (where the 4 horsemen come and the world ends!) is one of the best things ever written! Kicks Harry Potter's bespectacled a$$ any day!
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    That majority is [URL="http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_prac2.htm"]dwindling[/URL.
    Why do you think that the numbers are dwindling?

A lot of people do not have religion in their daily lives - yet when a crisis happens - the first thing they ask is "Where was God?" Why is that?

"then maybe the world would have the little bit more tolerance it needs!"

Sometimes I think the world is to tolerant. We are all so concerned with being politically correct - not to upset the next guy, that I think we forget to stand up for what we believe in. Would anyone agree?
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat
    Why do you think that the numbers are dwindling?
    I'm sure there are many reasons, not just one. Perhaps people are thinking for themselves, many such as myself find it very divisive.

Alot of people do not have religion in their daily lives - yet when a crisis happens - the first thing they ask is "Where was God?" Why is that?
    Actually I don't believe that happens at all. It's similar to believers praying for a sick person and that person dies, where was God then?
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Mar 27, 2007, 01:43 AM
    Sometimes I think the world is to tolerant. We are all so concerned with being politically correct - not to upset the next guy, that I think we forget to stand up for what we believe in. Would anyone agree?
    I don't think that that's really tolerance, I just think that's just fearing the repercussions of speaking out and I think that this actually breeds intolerance.

Just to explain that point, if I don't like something that someone is doing, but I'm told I have to sit there and take it regardless, it's going to make me dislike it even more!

Whereas going back to my previous point, if I'm told WHY someone is doing something I don't like, I may understand it a bit more and tolerate it a little better!
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Mar 27, 2007, 02:48 AM
    Good Point - Do you know that in the states - over 68% of the population say they are Christian. So, does majority win?
    Our government is set up to protect the minority from the majority. Wait till your in the minorority on something and you might learn to value that.

My take is teach 1 teach all -- you want your god is our schools lets teach all faiths - Christianity /Muslim/ Judaism/ Hinduism/ wiccan /devil worship / non believers point of view / etc, and lets the kids pick which to follow -- how's that suit you? --

but I guess we will have to drop a few other courses like math to give them time for this.. -- Savage
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    but I guess we will have to drop a few other courses like math to give them time for this.. -- Savage
    I don't think we would have to drop anything. The courses discussed are possibly being offered as electives. Like Gym or Law, etc. So, can we not have both?
    Are the other religions pushing to put in schools? And it really isn't religion going into school - it a study on the Bible - not one faiths take on it.

I think if a Bible study course does make it to our schools then the other religions will want equality. Which is fine. I think offering something like this produces a more educated person. And would teaching something that can help you live your life as a better person really be that bad? I mean, sure you're a whiz at math, but you suck as a human? I think I would rather be a better person any day.

To quote the article - To compare Shakespeare (which is readily available in H.S. English class) and the Bible
    1) Beauty of Language - Shakespeare by a nose
    2) Depth of subject matter - Toss up
    3) Breadth of subject matter - The Bible
    4) Numbers Published, translated, etc. - The Bible
    5) Number of people martyred for - The Bible
    6) Number of wars attributed to - The Bible
    7) Solace and hope provided to billions - The Bible

All of these things, shouldn't our youth know why people are willing to die for what is written in this book? Why it has never left the best seller list? This is a big part of history -so why should it be left out of study?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where in the Bible? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Catholic and I am trying to remember but can't as to where in the Bible I could find about the story where Jesus gave three men pieces of silver (?), the pieces of silver represents the gifts that he left us. God said the number of silver is given according to one's ability. God would later...

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Bible question [ 119 Answers ]

:) Hello everyone, I have a question for all you Bible scholars. What is the theme of the Bible and what does it have to do with the end of this system of things? Thanks, Happyperson

Bible study [ 6 Answers ]

(2) What great zeal and self denial does Nehemiah, his brethren, his servants and the men of the guard which followed him show?

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search