Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Breanna1027 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2013, 12:01 AM
    Can my dad press charges against my 19 year old boyfriend if the age consent is 16?
    Okay, So I am 16 and I live in Kentucky. The age consent is 16 and I really want to know if my father is allowed to press charges against my 19 year old boyfriend if my dad doesn't want me to date him. I want to know if he can press charges or get him in trouble with the law in any way? Thank you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 25, 2013, 01:56 AM
    Your dad can try to have him charged with various forms of endangerment, whatever the terminology is, such as contributing to the delinquency of a minor. If you so much as stub your toe while with him. There are many things that can happen - a car accident, a drug arrest of others at a party, a fight in a bar - if you are even just there with him, it can be his fault. Basically the law is on the side of the parent trying to get a child to obey their wishes. If you are under your parents' roof, eating their food, wearing clothes and using phones and internet and getting health and dental care paid for by them, then you are expected to follow their orders. Not only that, your parents are legally liable for your actions, if for instance you do damage or hurt someone, whether by accident or not.

I do remember what it's like to be 16, believe me! And I had no appreciation for any of this either. But you have to be extra careful and think this through, because of the age of your boyfriend.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2013, 03:15 AM
    Since this is a question about law it belongs in this forum, not the dating forum where you posted it.

As Joy said, until you are 18, you are under your parent's control. While your boyfriend might not be convicted of statutory rape if he has sex with you since you are 16, your father can still call the police on it. It will then be up to the prosecutor to prosecute. Your father could say the sex started before you turned 16. But there are other things, than having sex with a minor that he could be prosecuted for. If your parents have forbid you to see him and you and he go behind their backs, that could be considered parental interference.

So your boyfriend needs to get on the good side of your parents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boyfriend charged with domestic mischief but I did not press charges [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I were arguing in our apartment over the weekend. In anger, he punched a hole in the bathroom door. Our neighbours had called the police, who showed up when things were calming down and we were beginning to talk things through. We gave our separate statements, including that we do...

Can my dad press charges on my 19 yr old boyfriend for messing around with me when I was 16? [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I started dating my boyfriend when I was 16 and my boyfriend was 19. We'd been really close friends for more than a year before we started dating (I was a sophomore and he was a senior, we met in spanish class and stayed really good friends even after he graduated). When we started dating I had...

Can a dad press charges on a mom if his daughter sneaks out when at the moms [ 1 Answers ]

I gave custody of my 14 year old daughter to her dad because she was threating me and her little sibblins and she comes here every other weekend and the one weekend after I went to bed she snuck out to meet some boy's can the dad press charges on me for her actions

Can my mom press charges on me for not giving her my phone when my dad bought it [ 2 Answers ]

My mom got mad at me, so she wanted to take away my phone. It was a dumb reson. I wouldn't let her have it, so she called the police and she said they said she can press charges on me. Can she? It's my phone my dad bought me. I live with my mom. The phone is in his name.

Can my mother press charges for statutory rape if I gave consent [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 14 and I might be pregnant my boyfriend is 19 and I'm wondering canmy mother press charges for statutory rape if I'm pregnant and if I gave consent to have an intimate relationship with him?.

View more questions Search