Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boegge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 05:34 AM
    W-2 status for a contract job
    I have been sent a contracting job description that gives a salary quote at W-2 status. Can you tell me what that is? I believe that I would have to pay taxes, insurance, etc. but not sure. Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 26, 2007, 05:42 AM
    W2s are issued to slaraied employees where taxes are withheld. Independent contractors are given 1099s for the full amount contracted and have to pay their taxes themselves.

So I'm not sure what they are doing there. You might want to ask them.
    dflak Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Mar 27, 2007, 12:42 PM
    There are two types of contracting jobs: 1099's and W-2.

W-2 contracting is just like being an employee except you usually don't get the benefits. As a W-2 contractor, the employer will take your taxes out of your paycheck and pay them for you just as they do with regular employees. They also pay the employer's share of FICA and Medicare. Also, if the employer refuses to pay you as a W-2 contractor, then you can take the issue up with the department of labor.

As a 1099 contractor you are responsible for taking out your own taxes and paying them usually quarterly. You also have to pay the full FICA and Medicare. It is very much a B to B relationship. If the employer doesn't pay you, then you do not have rights under the department of labor, and will have to settle the matter differently.

However, 1099 contracting has benefits: you are a business, and you can deduct business expenses which W-2 contractors cannot. It is easier to justify a home office, and deduct expenses such as travel to and from your place of employment (your home) to the site (work). The rules on this are constantly changing, so don't take this as gospel and check with your tax advisor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contract job [ 1 Answers ]

If a person holding H1B visa is a permanent employee of company A, can he work as a contractor for company B for a couple of hours a week. If yes, how does he receive his pay check and what are the options?

What Status should I file tax since my status changed from F1 to H1 from Oct 23 2006! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the following questions about filing for taxes for the yr 2006. 1. Since my visa status changed from F1 to H1 on oct 23rd 2006, what status should I file the taxes as & which form should I use? Till now I have used 1040nr ez! FYI : I am frm India, I have not left US from...

OPT to H1 status (dual-status?) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This question has been asked a few times already, but I want to confirm. I have been in the US on F-1 since 2003. I was working on OPT from June 2005 to Feb 2006, and on H-1 from Mar 2006 onwards. Should I file as a resident or dual-status? Based on the previous answers, it seems like I...

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

View more questions Search