Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tcloud Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 04:37 AM
    Smell of burning rubber after changing drive belt on Sears Garden Tractor
    I changed the Motion Drive Belt on my 20hp 1999 Sears Garden Tractor. After changing, tested it, and it has plenty of "pick up" and runs good. However, after a minute or two, smell burning rubber. Is this normal, perhaps a "break in" period, or is it likely I have done something wrong?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 10:52 AM
    I was thinking break in period, the original mower was probably run at least once or twice to test it, how many times have you used it since replacing it? And I assume the drive belt is made of rubber..
    tcloud Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 11:15 AM
    I have only run the tractor about 15-20 minutues since changing belt. It has not had a real "grass cutting" session yet. I think the belt is installed correctly, as it is through all the keepers and other such guides. But you never know...
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 26, 2007, 07:17 PM
    I would not expect burning rubber smell on a newly installed belt. Better check again.

Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 MTD Garden Tractor 800 Series [ 11 Answers ]

:mad: Tractor Drive belt keeps coming off. Has been replaced several times. Brand new belt installed last week has come off already. It comes off mostly when going up a slight incline or hill (not real steep) Is there any kind of adjustment to the pulleys or is this a sign that the tractor...

Sears Model 917.256524 Lawn tractor 15.5 HP [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 15.5 Hp Craftsman lawn tractor. It starts fine but when you push the blade lever up to engage the blades the mower dies. Also if you let out on the brake/clutch pedel the mower stops. Note: the blade safety switch is OK and so is the clutch safety switch as is the seat safety switch. Any...

Burning Rubber Smell Kenmore 90 Series Washer [ 1 Answers ]

A burning rubber smell is coming from the washer when it is running. This is the first time this washser has done this. Could it be a bad motor? How can I begin troubleshooting this? Specifically, it is a Kenmore 90 Series Heavy Duty Super Capacity Plus Washer with Quiet Pack, whatever that is......

Changing drive belt on MTD Yardbug mower [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Mtd Yardbug mower, and need to know how to change the upper drive belt. It appears the belt was laid down, then the mower was built around it.

Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10 HP Craftsman lawn tractor that will not move. The clutch works and it goes into gearbut the flat wheel spins and the gear wheel seems too have not enough pressure on it to move. Could this be just a loose drive belt? Thanks, Charlie

View more questions Search