Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alardo_Montano Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2013, 10:12 AM
    Trying to cheaply paint exterior of house
    I am trying to cheaply paint the outside of a house.

What is barn and fence paint? A particular store has 5 gallons of this barn and fence acurlic latex primer and paint in one.

This combination "barns and fence" primer and paint for is extremely, extremely, extremely cheap.

I am extremely, extremely tempted by this cheap paint.

Am I wrong?

Also, there is Valspar Duramax and Valspar Ultra? The Duramax costs more. Are any of these good "primer and paint" combinations good?

Do I need flat, satin, semi-gloss, or gloss?

Sorry for the random questions. I am looking at about $1,300 for exterior paint if I don't save some money. The barn paint is only $500. The other paint and primer would be like $1,000.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2013, 11:27 AM
    You get what you pay for with paint... the cheaper ones don't cover as well or last as long.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2013, 12:55 PM
    How much paint do you need? $1300 seems like a lot of paint. At 300 sq ft per gallon and $40 per gallon would be almost 10,000 sq ft. If you are not particular about color, be sure to check Home Depot "oops " section. I just bought log home stain for $10 a gallon, regularly $28. BTW Consumers Guide gives top marks to Behr for exteriors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the going rate to paint the exterior of a 1500 sq. Foot house in Texas? [ 1 Answers ]

Our landlords are willing to provide paint and materials to redo the outside of our 1938 ugly gray=blue house. I have done this kind of work before but it was a long time ago and have no idea what kind of labor price would be reasonable. I do know that there will be quite a bit of prepping as the...

I've been asked to paint the exterior of an 1100 sf house, how much do I charge? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been asked to paint the exterior of an 1100 sf house. Materials are provided by contractor. I'm assuming it is going to need pressure washed by me also, but I would have to rent the equipment for that.

Exterior house paint colours [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 100+ yr old home, with natural, unpainted shingles. They are weathered and look almost grey now. We have a lot of trim, spindles, shutters and doors that we need to paint and are having a real hard time choosing colours. They are all white now? Any suggestions?? Thanks, Mike

Can you paint a vinyl exterior of a house? [ 5 Answers ]

I was told you can't paint a vinyl exterior of a house. Is this true?

View more questions Search