Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elvisrosas Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Jul 22, 2013, 09:51 PM
    Moving out?
    I am 19 years old and I am thinking of moving out. I make 900 a month and the apartment I am looking at is 635 a month. The reason I want to move out is because at my parents they have rules that I just find really annoying and they get pissed when I always come home late. Plus I have college and I never concentrate at home when I do my homework. Can I have some advice or some experiences from people or you guys opinion
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2013, 09:57 PM
    That's less than 300. For your utilities, food and spend money. Do you have money saved up for security deposit and to get the utilities turned on? Do you have to spend money on transportation bus or car?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 22, 2013, 10:25 PM
    Have you looked into on-campus student housing? You need money for insurance, food, clothing, etc. besides rent. How about finding a roommate?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 22, 2013, 10:43 PM
    I was always told that the basic rule when buying or renting, is to spend 40% of your income on expenses (that includes rent/mortgage, utilities, and other loans or bills). You're spending almost double that only on rent.

How will you survive on$265 a month? Who pays for college? Who will pay for your utilities, food, doctors bills, transportation, etc. etc?

I would advise that you sit down and make a list of all your monthly expenses, including rent, food, everything. Budget to see if you can afford to live on your own. I have to say, based one what you posted, I don't know how you'd survive on what you're making now, and being on your own means paying on your own. If you don't want to obey mom and dads rules, then you shouldn't be taking mom and dads money.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 23, 2013, 01:01 AM
    I and most people I know started sharing apartments. I agree that you can't afford 635 rent, and to think that you can shows considerable financial naïveté.
    Also be forewarned that you may have the same trouble studying in an apartment, and that the rules your parents have are going to be the same ones you adopt, whether living alone or with others. There is always that One Roommate From Hell, who is a slob, keeps you awake, eats all your food, hogs the bathroom and couch, and takes your stuff.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2013, 01:06 AM
    Even apartments today will run credit checks and you will need $1500 or so up front. You need to get roommates. And I'm sure this will be a quiet environment with 2-3 teenagers. Don't want to be a spoil sport but if you try to make it alone you will have a tough time with the net income you make.
    Elvisrosas Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Jul 23, 2013, 11:36 AM
    Well that's for a studio it one room though if I get a roommate he wouldn't get any space and it anything and plus I name around 1200 a month I just wanted to see what you guys would say if I made a low income but yeah plus with college I wouldn't be able to afford the dorms because I get financial help from financial aid
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 23, 2013, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvisrosas View Post
    Well that's for a studio it one room tho if I get a roommate he wouldn't get any space and it anything and plus I name around 1200 a month I just wanted to see what you guys would say if I made a low income but yeah plus with college I wouldn't be able to afford the dorms because I get financial help from financial aid
    Even $1200 is too little, you'd still be spending over half your income just on rent. That's too high if you want to eat, have heat, have electricity, go to the doctor when you're sick, go to school, etc.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 23, 2013, 01:01 PM
    So you take home 1200, and just wanted to see what we would say?
    Kind of silly and a waste of our time.
    Rent that apt for 635.
    Pay for electric, heat, phone, cable, internet, food, clothes, transportation, and household furnishings out of what's left.
    I keep careful track of all my expenses. Do you? Do you know how much you eat each month, in dollars? What heat costs? All the above? That's just the basics.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving out due to roommate disputes. He is not moving. What about my deposit. [ 1 Answers ]

My roommate and I are both on the lease. Our first year is up and lease is month to month. We do not get along so I am moving. (He asked me to leave too) I notified the landlord I wanted to term lease and move. Landlord will not term unless we both do. Told me, He would not give me my deposit...

A slow moving ocean current will produce the same amount of energy as a faster moving [ 0 Answers ]

Higher density Lower density Higher pressure Lower temperature None of these are correct; they cannot produce the same amount of energy.

After moving out and moving to different state can she come back and want house back [ 3 Answers ]

What do you want? Have you filed for divorce? If neither of you have previously filed for legal separation or divorce, then yes, she can try to come back, file for divorce and take the house. Can she succeed? Depends on how good your proof and lawyers are compared to her "proof" and lawyers. ...

Moving washer & dryer connections, adding a shower, moving a toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I know this is a lot for one question, but bear w/ me. We have a half bath in which our full size w/d connections are located. We would like to move them to the kitchen, about 15 ft away. We do have a pier and beam house. Any ideas on how much that would cost? Also, we want to put a bathtub...

Moving on but moving backwards. [ 3 Answers ]

Its been over a year since me an my man split. We were together for 7 1/2 years. I don't know where we went wrong. I remember one day waking up beside him and him showing me a ring asking me to spend the rest of my life with him an that's when everything changed. We were engaged for only 3 months...

View more questions Search