Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cinzebbut Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2013, 06:39 PM
    When will my diabetic dog start to eat?
    I read some of the post's concerning how to get your diabetic dog to eat. I just recently found out that my dog has diabetes and I just brought him home from the hospital today. He was given IV fluids and anti-nausea medication because he kept throwing up and wouldn't eat as well as urinating quite frequently. His blood sugar was 400 on Saturday. This afternoon when I picked him up from the Vet it was down to 120. He still won't eat and because of this I cannot give him his insulin, so I decided to dilute his canned dog food that was given to me by the Vet and put it into a oral medicine dropper and force it down his throat. It worked. He didn't like it of course, but at least he is getting some nutrition. The canned food is called W/D Canine, it is a low fat, glucose management-gastrointestinal food made by Hills Prescription Diet. It has everything he needs to get the proper nutrition until I can get him to eat on his own. I refuse to let my dog die on me just because he won't eat. Diabetes is a various illness and it's going to take a lot of sacrificing on my part to get him back to health but I will do whatever it takes. I love my dog.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2013, 08:07 PM
    If he is not eating, than you need to contact your vet.

It is a good thing, and you should continue doing it, syringe feeding him. Sometimes that's the step you have to take.

Him not eating, and you having a difficult time with this, you really do need to call your vet back and let them know what type of problems you're having.

Stay in close contact with your vet for the next couple of months. This is a new thing that both you and your dog have to deal with now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diabetic dog won't eat, [ 17 Answers ]

Took dog to vet yesterday since he had not eaten anything in 48 hours (he is diabetic) Vet gave him 3 shots and a special food. He won't take a bite of anything not even boiled chicken but he is drinking water but not as much as he was yesterday. We are coming up on 72 hours since his last meal.I'm...

Diabetic Dog Refuses to Eat? Help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my 7 year old rottie was diagnosed with diabetes this past thursday and she has been doing remarkably well. At first it was way to high (28, I think) and it has come down a lot. Now, my dog refuses to eat. She was never really comfortable eating when she wasn't at home and her vet says...

Diabetic Dog won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Hi, I have a mini schnauzer that is a diabetic. She will be 10 years old this July. She has been through a lot over the past several years, including the diabetes. I lived with the son for a while and now live with my daughter. I have had problems with my pet not wanting to eat. She has...

Dog is diabetic and does not want to eat [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is 13 yrs old... diabetic this is the first time that I can not maker eat this morning. I am stressed I need to giver her insulin... I understand that if the dog will not eat, I can giver 1/2 on the regular dosage... is this correct? PLEASE HELP!!

Diabetic dog who won't eat. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 9 yr. old 20 pound terrier who is extremely underweight, and is allergic to corn. We tried to feed him 2 times a day, but he won't eat. We can't regulate his diabetes his blood sugar often registers over 680, when it should be under 200 or so. What should we do?

View more questions Search