Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joannetaylor300 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2013, 02:50 PM
    Arrested and brought to us in cuffs. How should we have dealt with this?
    hi. I am currently studying for my degree in nursing in the UK and have a question or advice from nurses. I was working in accident and emergency department the other weekend as a work experience part of the degree and an arrested man/teen was brought into us, he had been in a fight and had a nasty cut above his right eye. He was in police handcuffs behind his back, which looked to be tight. He complained to myself and also my other female colleage about his cuffs and said that he had been in them for over an hour. We asked the police if his cuffs could be removed and they were not happy, but we needed to do an x-ray, so they took his cuffs off and his wrists did look bruised and chaffed from the handcuffs, we just gave some advice as to relax his hands and don't struggle against the cuffs as they will tighten up etc. Anyway as soon as we had finsihed the x-ray he was cuffed again behind his back by the female officer and we continued to treat him.

I just feel that he wasn't really a danger and his cuffs could have been removed earlier? Can we as nurses obtain a key off the cops and removed his cuffs if we feel there is no danger and the police are near by?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 22, 2013, 03:01 PM
    It's not up to you, as a nurse, to decide whether he is a danger or not. He is in police custody, not nurse custody. The cuffs should be removed if they interfere with his treatment but not simply because you feel sorry for him. As far as the cuffs causing bruising and such, that's probably his problem from fighting against the cuffs.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2013, 03:10 PM
    If you uncuff them you could be charged with interfering with police and a bunch of other charges. You would feel horrible if they jumped up and took someone hostage before you knew what happened. Bruising wrists to say cuffs are too tight is one of the oldest tricks in the book, Then why would you want to uncuff them in a situation where the police weren't able to for whatever reason?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 22, 2013, 03:11 PM
    Is this the true story or is this one:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ys-759418.html
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2013, 03:13 PM
    Wow You just posted this 3 times now which is it, One you say you are the arrested, the others you talk as if you are the nurse
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 22, 2013, 03:58 PM
    Given how ludicrous the question is even for a student nurse, I would say we are being set up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A man went to a carnival. He brought his 2 daughters, they each brought 4 kids, and e [ 1 Answers ]

A man went to a carnival. He brought his 2 daughters, they each brought 4 kids, and each kid brought 3 friends. How many people are going to the carnival?

Can charges be brought against a former girlfriend who had me arrested for assault [ 2 Answers ]

Can criminal charges be brought against a former girlfriend who called the police and said that I had a dead bloody body in my house. When the police came they surrounded the house and arrested me. She said that I had kidnapped her and raped her. The charges were later dropped but what can I do...

Addictions. How Do You and Have You Dealt With Them? [ 82 Answers ]

Hi, All! I mean the question in a general way. Although, perhaps I should make it more specific, but maybe a general listing of things that have happened and coping strategies might provide help to some people... Being specific about instances is okay too! For now, the addiction could be...

View more questions Search