Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1001RedRoses100 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2013, 11:33 AM
    My Diamond Topaz Engagement Ring Was Dropped In The Sink!
    About an hour ago I was washing my hands when my engagement ring worth over 5000$ made of real diamonds and blue topaz has been dropped in the sink! I don't know what to do! My fiancé is not home right now he is coming back this Wednesday from visiting his family and the only other person I have right now is my sister and the dog. I finally told my sister what had happened and she said that I might not be able to retrieve it because I dropped it while washing my hands and the water probably already flushed it away. Also when my fiancé comes back I do not know how to tell him. I don't know what he will say or react! Please! I need help! I'm in a very bad position right now. I have been crying for so long! I do not know what to do! Please help!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 22, 2013, 11:46 AM
    Do you feel comfortable checking the trap (in many places a u or J shaped pipe) under the sink? If not, you can call a plumber who may be able to find your ring.

Try to calm down. Accidents happen and there is a chance of the ring being found.

Be honest with your fiancé. He may get upset. That's normal human behavior. If he gets violent or abusive then this may tell you to wait on the wedding plans.

Jul 22, 2013, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Do you feel comfortable checking the trap (in many places a u or J shaped pipe) under the sink? If not, you can call a plumber who may be able to find your ring.

Try to calm down. Accidents happen and there is a chance of the ring being found.

Be honest with your fiancé. He may get upset. That's normal human behavior. If he gets violent or abusive then this may tell you to wait on the wedding plans.
    I just checked the trap with my sister and it is not their. I look through every angle and it's nowhere to be found.
    Warren D Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2013, 12:06 PM
    Did you look in the sink drain to make sure it didn't get stuck in it? Was it a bathroom sink or a kitchen sink?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 22, 2013, 12:11 PM
    Let's get a bit more information.

Is this a house or an apartment?
    If it is a house: Are you on a sewer or do you have a grease trap/septic tank set-up?

Have you thought about calling a plumber?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 22, 2013, 01:27 PM
    At this point you call a plumber... can't cost too much compared to that ring!

If this is a bathroom sink, have the plumber inspect the pop-up assembly first (parts of the sink that pop the stopper in the sink up/down... although it sounds like it is missing), and then the trap and pipe going into the wall.

If he/she can't find it there then the next place to look will be at the MAIN DRAIN CLEANOUT. Here, if the ring made it into the drain system it can be forced down to the main drain cleanout using water and hopefully caught using panty hose strung across a bent up coat hanger stuck into the main drain cleanout.

Note, that if the ring is in the main drain line, the less water you use in the house the better your chances of getting the ring back, OK?

If gotten to fast enough we can usually find these things. Get the plumber out and get that ring back!

Good luck!

Mark

Jul 22, 2013, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren D View Post
    Did you look in the sink drain to make sure it didn't get stuck in it? Was it a bathroom sink or a kitchen sink?
    Yes I checked and it wasn't there. It was in a bathroom sink.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 22, 2013, 01:30 PM
    Read post #6 above

Jul 22, 2013, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    At this point you call a plumber...can't cost too much compared to that ring!

If this is a bathroom sink, have the plumber inspect the pop-up assembly first (parts of the sink that pop the stopper in the sink up/down...although it sounds like it is missing), and then the trap and pipe going into the wall.

If he/she can't find it there then the next place to look will be at the MAIN DRAIN CLEANOUT. Here, if the ring made it into the drain system it can be forced down to the main drain cleanout using water and hopefully caught using panty hose strung across a bent up coat hanger stuck into the main drain cleanout.

Note, that if the ring is in the main drain line, the less water you use in the house the better your chances of getting the ring back, OK?

If gotten to fast enough we can usually find these things. Get the plumber out and get that ring back!

Good luck!

Mark
    Ok. I'll tell you if it worked. Thanks!

Jul 22, 2013, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Let's get a bit more information.

Is this a house or an apartment?
    If it is a house: Are you on a sewer or do you have a grease trap/septic tank set-up?

Have you thought about calling a plumber?
    It is in a house bathroom sink.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight? [ 11 Answers ]

Which dioamond ring should I buy a solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight?

Diamond engagement ring hallmarks have me stumped. It looks like it reads 18 CT & BT [ 0 Answers ]

My Gran passed away recently and left me her jewellery. I have her diamond engagement ring and the hallmarks have me stumped. It looks like it reads 18 CT & BT although this is somewhat worn. Does anyone have any idea what this means? I have no idea how old the ring is and there are no other...

Dropped diamond in bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

I dropped my diamond ear ring down the drain in the bathroom sink. Can I retrieve it? Could it still be there?

View more questions Search