Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suziq11 Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2013, 10:22 PM
    Can you explain to me the way a faucet works?
    I hate that I have such a lack of knowledge... but, I'm having a problem with understanding why my hot water handle (which is pretty new), won't hang on to the stem that controls my water coming on and off. If, I can turn the water on by turning the inner stem, why can't the handle control it? Does it need to be caulked, or glued? Am I expected to remove to handles to turn the stem every time I need hot water to my tub? That seems extreme and stupid, if you ever have to work on it again. Or, is it more likely that there is stem damage or it's just worn out somewhere in the stem? The truth is both of my water handles are messed up, but the cold still works (barely) .I really don't get it. To work on the stem (if neccessary), do you have to pull the stem out to work on it? I would appreciate it if I could gain an understading of the way it works.?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 21, 2013, 04:56 AM
    It is very simple. The stem, which is round, has little protrusions which stick out called splines. The handle which has a round hole that the stem fits into has notches for the splines.. Therefore when the handle turns the stem also has to turn. The screw that goes through the handle and screws into the stem is only there to hold the handle on, not to make the stem turn.

The hole in the handle must be the same size as the stem and must have the same number of splines. It must fit precisely. Close is not good enough.

Apparently you replaced your old handles with new ones that were the incorrect size. When you do that, the notches wear away very quickly and the stem does not turn.

There are many different sizes and spline counts.
    If you have the old handles take them to the store and get new ones that are correct. If you don't have the old handles you will probably have to turn off the water, take out the stem and take it to the store to find the correct handles.

Remove one of the handles and post a picture of the stem. We can tell you how to remove the stem. Post the picture on this thread. Don't start a new thread each time you want to post something.

Jul 25, 2013, 12:33 PM
    Harold, Thanks for giving me a visual at least. I just wrote you an indepth reply, and it disappeared... so, I'm just going to first try to attach my pics, then try writing again afterwards, cause I did notice some interesting things. Ok/ bear with me. I just did, but I can't tell if it worked. Please let me know that you got them, OK? This site is really hard for me, what I'm doing is, rating your response, then adding a reply (which is the only option I see to choose) then your email answer comes up. I then type to you above your letter,(but still on your email), is that right? Am I supposed to do it that way?

Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    It is very simple. The stem, which is round, has little protrusions which stick out called splines. The handle which has a round hole that the stem fits into has notches for the splines.. Therefore when the handle turns the stem also has to turn. The screw that goes thru the handle and screws into the stem is only there to hold the handle on, not to make the stem turn.

The hole in the handle must be the same size as the stem and must have the same number of splines. It must fit precisely. Close is not good enough.

Apparently you replaced your old handles with new ones that were the incorrect size. When you do that, the notches wear away very quickly and the stem does not turn.

There are many different sizes and spline counts.
    If you have the old handles take them to the store and get new ones that are correct. If you don't have the old handles you will probably have to turn off the water, take out the stem and take it to the store to find the correct handles.

Remove one of the handles and post a picture of the stem. We can tell you how to remove the stem. Post the picture on this thread. Don't start a new thread each time you want to post something.
    Attached Images

Jul 25, 2013, 12:43 PM
    No pictures.
    Up load pictures to computer in JPEG format. Make a response in the Answer block. Click on the Go Advance block below the Answer block. Scroll down and click o the Manage Attachments Button. Browse to find picture, high light and open file. Click on Upload Button. Post response.

Jul 25, 2013, 01:12 PM
    Hi again. It says and shows that 1 pic was attached, I apologize for the inability of seeing it clearly. I'm attaching more. Thank You so much for the help working this site!! It'sbeen driving me nuts!! Also, I tried turning the bad handle, and the stem. Athough the stem turned, no water came out, and the stem (when turning) also turned the nut ate thebottom of the stem (which also unthreaded the stems threads from the bolt?? When I checked the good handle, the stem only turned , and the bolt held it's place .

No pictures.
    Up load pictures to computer in JPEG format. Make a response in the Answer block. Click on the Go Advance block below the Answer block. Scroll down and click o the Manage Attachments Button. Browse to find picture, high light and open file. Click on Upload Button. Post response.
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 25, 2013, 03:58 PM
    The stem and therefore the "spines" look worn to me (hard to say for sure)... ;)

If you remove the cold handle, do the stem spines look the same as the hot stem spines? If not, replace the stem. If so, then ,try the cold handle on the hot stem and see if that works. If it does, replace the handle on the hot side to resolve the issue!

Mark

Jul 25, 2013, 05:15 PM
    Hold the nut with a wrench and then turn the stem with a pair of pliers. If water comes out turn the stem to completely open (while holding the nut), then tighten the nut. Tighten securely.

If water does not come out, turn off the water to the house. Remove the stem by turning the nut counter clockwise until it has complete unscrewed. Pull the stem out. Put a cup over where the stem was. Have someone turn the water back on briefly, about 5-10 seconds. This should flush out anything that is blocking the pipe.

Reinstall the stem. Hold the nut with a wrench and turn the stem counter clockwise until it is fully open. Then put the stem in the opening and tighten the nut. Tighten the nut securely. Turn the water back on and see if turning the stem turn the water on.

Jul 26, 2013, 12:32 AM
    Hi again Mark, actually the cold water (the one that does work), stem looks like the spines are even more worn than the other. They are almost worn down all the way. You can barely feel the indentations or spines. I was surprised that it's the one working. You think I should still try the "handle- switch" thing?
    [
    QUOTE=massplumber2008;3515023]The stem and therefore the "spines" look worn to me (hard to say for sure)... ;)

If you remove the cold handle, do the stem spines look the same as the hot stem spines? If not, replace the stem. If so, then ,try the cold handle on the hot stem and see if that works. If it does, replace the handle on the hot side to resolve the issue!

Mark[/QUOTE]
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 04:57 AM
    Only takes a minute to try/swap the handles (use the cold one on the hot one, too)... should reveal a little more.

Jul 26, 2013, 02:48 PM
    Mark, OK.. I exchanged the handles and the cold handle on the hot side made no difference, still no water. The hot handle on the cold side turns the water on, as before, which is surprising due to worn stem. It was worth a shot. I'm afraid of having to remove the stem, without help anyway. I don't have the strength or grip I used to. But, thanks anyway. Got anymore tricks?

Jul 29, 2013, 03:48 AM
    Yo.. Harold?? Ok, I just went to Home Depot... just looking really... but, when I found 2 of the same stems (with brand new perfectly notched -out- spines)... I bought them, but I'm a bit concerned... in the package w/ the stem was another brass "nut?" and a red" O-Ring?"... I asked the clerk what it was, and was told it was the "Valve Seat"... So, Now... when I pulled the stem out, I didn't have any of that stuff..? The new one has a washer/ screw/ and the valve seat (nut) & the red O-ring..? What happened to mine? Is it still in there? Did I break it off while trying to get it out?. And... am I now faced with the whole "getting to an access door to work on the plumbing, beneath the bathtub?? Which, if you recall, is my very first question I asked at this site?? I don't want you to think I'm freakin' out, but yes, I'm kind of worried.
    I also have spoken to my son, and he told me that He did that flush test you mentioned, and what he's most perplexed about is; that both stems,( when removed ), have the same parts on them, but why does the cold water one work?? And as I think about it, they both shouldn't work, right?? Please help me?

Hold the nut with a wrench and then turn the stem with a pair of pliers. If water comes out turn the stem to completely open (while holding the nut), then tighten the nut. Tighten securely.

If water does not come out, turn off the water to the house. Remove the stem by turning the nut counter clockwise until it has complete unscrewed. Pull the stem out. Put a cup over where the stem was. Have someone turn the water back on briefly, about 5-10 seconds. This should flush out anything that is blocking the pipe.

Reinstall the stem. Hold the nut with a wrench and turn the stem counter clockwise until it is fully open. Then put the stem in the opening and tighten the nut. Tighten the nut securely. Turn the water back on and see if turning the stem turn the water on.

Aug 1, 2013, 04:35 PM
    Additional questions...
    Quote Originally Posted by suziq11 View Post
    Yo.. Harold??? Ok, I just went to Home Depot... just looking really... but, when I found 2 of the exact same stems (with brand new perfectly notched -out- spines)... I bought them, but I'm a bit concerned... in the package w/ the stem was another brass "nut?" and a red" O-Ring?"... I asked the clerk what it was, and was told it was the "Valve Seat"... So, Now... when i pulled the stem out, I didn't have any of that stuff...??? The new one has a washer/ screw/ and the valve seat (nut) & the red O-ring...??? What happened to mine? Is it still in there? Did I break it off while trying to get it out?... And... am I now faced with the whole "getting to an access door to work on the plumbing, beneath the bathtub???? Which, if you recall, is my very first question i asked at this site??? I don't want you to think I'm freakin' out, but yes, I'm kinda worried.
    I also have spoken to my son, and he told me that He did that flush test you mentioned, and what he's most perplexed about is; that both stems,( when removed ), have the same parts on them, but why does the cold water one work??? and as I think about it, they both shouldn't work, right??? Please help me?
    I posted this a couple of days ago, and I know I'm not your only job to do, but, I really don't know how to go about dealing with anything below the stem. Like, what comes next? The washer? Then the screw? The O-ring? (that attaches to what? Then the valve seat ?(with the threads facing down?) If I can understand it, I feel I may be able to do it.

Aug 1, 2013, 05:13 PM
    OK, if I understand correctly, you went to Home Depot looked at some stems and because they looked the same you purchased them. If that is correct, return them. You have as much chance of them fitting as I have winning a 50 million dollar lottery and I didn't buy a ticket.

You have to do as I instructed in my last post. You have to do those things and tell us what happens.

From all you have said, what I think has happened is this.

You wanted new handles. You purchased new acrylic knobs but they were not the correct size. They were probably a little to large and fit loosely on the stems. Because they fit loosely the splines on the stems wore out the grooves in the handle. Your son, looking for the problem, remove the hot water stem. (You said he flushed the valve). I believe he did not reinstall the hot valve properly. (You said the nut turned when you turned the stem.) That should not happen.

The stem threads into the inside of the nut. The nut then threads into the valve body. The threads of the stem and the threads on the inside of the nut are what makes the stem go up and down when you turn it. The threads on the outside of the nut hold the nut and the stem in place.

You have to remove the nut and stem. Then thread the stem into the nut, then thread the nut into the faucet. The stem has to be threaded all the way into the nut (open position) when installing the nut back in the valve. If you don't do that, the stem will press against the seat before you get the nut fully installed.

Forget about access to the other side of the faucet. There is nothing there to service, fix, repair or adjust. The only time you need access to the other side is when you are replacing the faucet completely.

Aug 3, 2013, 04:08 PM
    OK, if I understand correctly, you went to Home Depot looked at some stems and because they looked the same you purchased them. If that is correct, return them. You have as much chance of them fitting as I have winning a 50 million dollar lottery and I didn't buy a ticket.

You have to do as I instructed in my last post. You have to do those things and tell us what happens.

From all you have said, what I think has happened is this.

You wanted new handles. You purchased new acrylic knobs but they were not the correct size. They were probably a little to large and fit loosely on the stems. Because they fit loosely the splines on the stems wore out the grooves in the handle. Your son, looking for the problem, remove the hot water stem. (You said he flushed the valve). I believe he did not reinstall the hot valve properly. (You said the nut turned when you turned the stem.) That should not happen.

The stem threads into the inside of the nut. The nut then threads into the valve body. The threads of the stem and the threads on the inside of the nut are what makes the stem go up and down when you turn it. The threads on the outside of the nut hold the nut and the stem in place.

You have to remove the nut and stem. Then thread the stem into the nut, then thread the nut into the faucet. The stem has to be threaded all the way into the nut (open position) when installing the nut back in the valve. If you don't do that, the stem will press against the seat before you get the nut fully installed.

Forget about access to the other side of the faucet. There is nothing there to service, fix, repair or adjust. The only time you need access to the other side is when you are replacing the faucet completely.
    Yes! I think you understand what's going on. I have installed and re-installed that stem quite a few times in this past week, but I also just did it again step by step according to your instructions, and this time I was able to tighten that nut better. But, I still get no water, other than what bubbles up from stem hole. I don't know if it's imparative that I do the water shut-off, and turn on every time. I haven't had any one over to be that extra person. Does that make a difference? If so, I'll have to wait until I do have a visitor.
    I was able (while stem was out) to see into the hole, and saw that the washer and screw are still in the seat. I can't tell what condition they're in... and I can't think of a tool that could get it out with (if washer is the problem)... I wonder if it would help at all to add another washer to the top of the seat before re-installing stem again??

Aug 3, 2013, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by suziq11 View Post
    Yes! I think you understand what's going on. I have installed and re-installed that stem quite a few times in this past week, but I also just did it again step by step according to your instructions, and this time I was able to tighten that nut better. But, I still get no water, other than what bubbles up from stem hole. I don't know if it's imparative that I do the water shut-off, and turn on every time. I haven't had any one over to be that extra person. Does that make a difference? If so, I'll have to wait until I do have a visitor.?
    I was able (while stem was out) to see into the hole, and saw that the washer and screw are still in the seat. I can't tell what condition they're in... and I can't think of a tool that could get it out with (if washer is the problem)... I wonder if it would help at all to add another washer to the top of the seat before re-installing stem again???
    Also, I know you doubt this, but the stem I bought is not only the same looking, but has the same numbers of spines/ diameters as the old one, (which really doesn't matter if I don't need them. And While comparing, You are correct about my handles being wrong. They have like 15 notches as compared to my stem which has 12. DUH! Is there a way I could use threading tape or caulk to help them fit (that is, of course if I ever regain use of my hot water faucet again)?? Or must I search and purchase new ones? I hope you read this soon and can recommend something, & answer my new questions. I am following your every word of advice. Thanks again, suzi

Aug 3, 2013, 07:32 PM
    saw that the washer and screw are still in the seat.
    Are you saying that there is a washer in the hole after you remove the stem. If you shine a flashlight in the hole after removing the stem all you should see is the seat with a hole in it. Basically what you see should look like the end of small pipe.

The washer and screw should be on the end of the stem. If the washer and screw are down in the hole, turning on the water with the stem removed should blow the washer and screw out.
    If you have no assistant, remove the stem. Put a small bowl turned up side down over it. Put something heavy, like a brick, on top of the bowl. Turn on the water, quickly and briefly. The worst thing you can do is wet the floor.

Aug 3, 2013, 09:29 PM
    can you explain to me the way a faucet works?
    Attached Images

Aug 3, 2013, 09:46 PM
    [QUOTE=hkstroud;3521548]Are you saying that there is a washer in the hole after you remove the stem. If you shine a flashlight in the hole after removing the stem all you should see is the seat with a hole in it. Basically what you see should look like the end of small pipe.
    [suziq] Yes! That's what I thought after seeing what all goes with the Brand new stem.... that's why I thought it needed a washer before! Neither, my hot or cold stems have their washers on the end. And i used a flashlight before I sent last message.

The washer and screw should be on the end of the stem. If the washer and screw are down in the hole, turning on the water with the stem removed should blow the washer and screw out.
    If you have no assistant, remove the stem. Put a small bowl turned up side down over it. Put something heavy, like a brick, on top of the bowl. Turn on the water, quickly and briefly. The worst thing you can do is wet the floor.
    [QUOTE][/suziq] You're saying to cover it this way while I go out to turn the main off and on?? I'm just making sure I understand. OK, it's late now, but I'll do it tomorrow...
    I sure hope I don't have to go after that screw & washer... it looked like the screw is screwed up into the area the stem goes into

Aug 3, 2013, 09:53 PM
    Yes.

PS,
    It is not necessary to quote what I just posted. Only do that if you want to direct my attention to a specific thing. It makes the post unnecessarily long.

Aug 3, 2013, 10:15 PM
    You seem to think I've learned how to manage this site, huh? ***Am I supposed to delete your text? Then use your box? Cause, the only choice I seem to have about responding to you is in your original email Text box... when you've explained before, you seem to be looking at a different page than me?? $%^&!! I know, it annoys me too.
    Yes.

PS,
    It is not necessary to quote what I just posted. Only do that if you want to direct my attention to a specific thing. It makes the post unnecessarily long.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sprayer works, faucet doesn't [ 6 Answers ]

My moen kitchen, single handle faucet does not work. Sprayer works great, what should I do?

How thermocouple works? Explain with picture please.. [ 3 Answers ]

How thermocouple works? Explain with picture please.., Thanks for your help

Explain how a general of telecommunication works [ 7 Answers ]

Explain how a general model of telecommunications works

Explain how a general model of telecommunication works [ 1 Answers ]

What would you say to someone who is not technically savvy in order to explain how a general model of telecommunications works?

View more questions Search