Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BWLC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2013, 08:44 PM
    Water hammer arresters
    If pair of water chambers were installed in your laundry room in a condo. But there is still water hammer behind dry wall when running the LG HE front load washer,
    Would it help to put one more pair of mini washer arresters connected to the washer. If this may help, how to figure out what size of the mini arrester is needed?

Thanks for yr prompt reply
    BC
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Jul 21, 2013, 03:45 AM
    I think what you mean by water chamber is actually an attempt to make an air chamber - typically a length of pipe , about 12" long, with a cap on top, and connected vertically via a tee; usually located near a valve that serves a fixture or appliance of some type.
    The theory was that this capped length of pipe would trap a head of air, and provide a compressible cushion to stop fluid water hammer. The problem with homemade air chambers is that the air would be absorbed rather quickly by the water, and the chamber would lose its ability to absorb the shock of water hammer. Manufactured water hammer arrestors have an air chamber, separated by a rubber diaphragm, or a balloon containing a permanent air charge, that does not allow water to come in contact with the air. The mini - arrestors that you refer to will usually work, they are available with 1/2, & 3/4 inch connections, and I believe there are some that will connect directly to the washing machine valve and hoses. If needed, you can open an adjacent wall, and install larger, baseball sized arrestors - just be sure to allow for future access with some type of panel.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 21, 2013, 07:03 AM
    Hmmm... I'm reading the question a little differently than you, Mike.

Here, BC said, "If pair of water chambers were installed in your laundry room in a condo"...

By stating that the water hammer arrestors are in the laundry room I'm guessing that there is already a pair of "manufactured" water hammer arrestors and I'm guessing that one of them has failed and simply needs to replaced.

If possible I would determine which water hammer arrestor failed and simply replace it or, if they are getting on in age and one failed I might just replace both hammer arrestors now.

I would NOT add additional water hammer arrestors until I replaced the old ones... shouldn't be required if system has new ones installed.

If water hammer sounds continue after the new arrestors are in place I would open the wall and check for loose pipes... may need to be rehung properly!

Mark
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Jul 21, 2013, 10:12 AM
    Yes, Mark, you make a good point or two, and as usual, offer good advice. I'm not really sure what a water chamber is, and offered some information to help generate discussion, and when information is shared, there is an opportunity for learning.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 21, 2013, 11:35 AM
    Hopefully BC will return and let us know exactly what he is referring, too... definitely an unknown for now!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thoughts on installing water hammer arresters [ 7 Answers ]

What is the modern thinking on the necessity of installing water hammer arresters or air cushions in new plumbing for a bathroom and/or kitchen? What is the method for placing them, 1 at each valve or one at the entrance (hot and cold) to cover the whole house? How are they installed as far as how...

Water hammer and reduced hot water flow in one kitchen tap [ 6 Answers ]

This only happens on this one tap. It is a single faucet and the line is shared with a dishwasher. After the hot water runs for about 30 seconds I hear the pipes downstairs and the flow keeps reducing to hardly anything. I guess it's most likely why the dishes are not getting clean as well. No...

Water hammering, water arresters, big pipe flowing into small pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a water hammer (I'm guessing) problem in our house. All the pipes are under the house and it is a timber house so each time there is a water hammer noise it is extremely noisy. Basically any tap in the house is making the noise when turning on or off quickly with loud bangs. Cold...

Water Hammer on Hot water loop of Steam Boiler System [ 3 Answers ]

We have a steam boiler that provides steam for most of the house but also has a hot water loop for the additions. We have been getting a lot of water hammer and it sounds as if it is coming from the area where the first hot water radiator starts (ie it is from the hot water loop). Does anyone...

Do I need to add air tubes or air hammer arresters on sink and toilet copper plumbing [ 12 Answers ]

I noticed in some houses being built nearby that where they stubbed the copper pipe out for the sink they also ran a stub up about a foot and put a cap on it. I'm assuming it's to prevent water hammer or something. Do I need to do the same thing for my copper in my finished basement or can I just...

View more questions Search