Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MSP 6383 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2005, 12:14 PM
    Problems with a persistent AOL pop up
    Hello,
    I have spy bot search and destroy, ad aware lavasoft, and the latest form of Norton Anti Virus on my computer. However, when I go to log into my email (a compuserve email address) I am often and several times redirected to an annoying free trial AOL pop up ad. Has anyone heard of this problem and has suggestions?

Thanks so much :eek:
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 4, 2005, 06:29 AM
    AOL Pop up
    Visit http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,60564,00.html and read their report on AOL phishing scams.Not AOL's fault I hasten to add? but hackers exploiting a loophole within their code.

Secondly,go to http:www.download.com in the search box type browsers.Then where it says windows just to the right,make sure you click down to downloads,then click go.Download Firefox version 1.0,if your not using it already.Once installed,use that as your main browser.It is more affective at blocking pop ups than useless IE.

Third,change your Email client.Visit http://www.freevault.com/internet/em...ts/index.shtml

You don't have to choose any here,but it will give you an insight into alternatives which are available.

All the best,
    Nez. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2005, 06:51 PM
    AOL owns Compuserve. AOL is very good about blocking others ads, but not their own. I know there is a place on AOL where you can specify your marketing preferences. There is probably a similar place on compuserve.
    MSP 6383 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2005, 10:00 PM
    Dear Scott
    I have already received an answer to my problem. I have recently downloaded Firefox 1.0 and that seems to have taken care of the problem. Thank you for your assistance.

Best,
    Maria

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Various problems [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am a girl who just started high school. I have been having trouble sleeping. I usually takes me two hours to fall asleep. I am usually very tired and or depressed.( cut back eating even hurt myself for fun)( I don't even realise it most of the time.I even have a bad burn scar from it) I now am...

Problems [ 2 Answers ]

:p :D in Allosteric enzymeswhat happens when the ATP concentration is high and when it is low and how is it regulated?

Persistent coughing [ 1 Answers ]

I picked up an infection at the beginning of April this year that seemed to go straight to my chest. It gave me an awful, persistent cough which always left me struggling for breath and trying desperately to suck back some air into my lungs (even while the coughing fits, which sometimes lasted for...

Persistent Termites [ 1 Answers ]

My home was treated for termites a year ago. The chemical used was Termidor. Since that time, I have noticed termite activity in the same location on three separate occasions and the area was retreated twice. I noticed more termite activity today so I am very concerned. My pest control company...

Big problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a few big problems with a new computer I purchased. I would really like to know if I can fix these problems, or if I need to return the computer. In the manual that came with the barebone computer, it stated that the system board only supports Celeron 300-700mhz. This computer came with...

View more questions Search