Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eddieoday Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2013, 08:49 AM
    Water system
    Pressure tank quickly loses pressure. It drop from 60psi to 40psi in about 30 seconds. The pump kick on for about 5 seconds and pressure returns to 60 psi. then the process is repeated over and over
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 19, 2013, 10:21 AM
    Is this a pressure tank or a bladder tank?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2013, 11:41 AM
    Water is running when this happens? Depending on volume of water being used, this could be normal. 5 seconds is short however, so you may have a waterlogged tank.

Jul 19, 2013, 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Is this a pressure tank or a bladder tank?
    Bladder tank about 10yrs old

Jul 19, 2013, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Water is running when this happens? Depending on volume of water being used, this could be normal. 5 seconds is short however, so you may have a waterlogged tank.
    No

Jul 19, 2013, 02:50 PM
    No water running
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2013, 02:56 PM
    Leak in piping between well and house, leaking foot valve if so equipped. Even with a bad bladder tank it won't cause pump to cycle when no water in use. Shut off water to house. What happens. If nothing, it is in the well piping or pump. Submersible pump?

Jul 19, 2013, 03:04 PM
    Leak in piping between well and house, leaking foot valve if so equipped. Even with a bad bladder tank it won't cause pump to cycle when no water in use. Shut off water to house. What happens. If nothing, it is in the well piping or pump. Submersible pump?
    Submersible pump, no indication of leaking water at ground level, when I turned power off to the pump it slowly lost pressure. Would a water logged water heater have anything to do with it.

Jul 19, 2013, 03:10 PM
    I think your right, its been raining here everyday lately, I believe there is an area that is has more mud than the rest of the area. Thank you very much
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 19, 2013, 04:27 PM
    Sounds like a ruptured bladder, which resulted in a water logged tank. That combined with a leaking foot valve would cause pump cycling.

Press valve stem on tank to see if you get water or air.

Water heater not a factor here.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2013, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieoday View Post
    submersible pump, no indication of leaking water at ground level, when I turned power off to the pump it slowly lost pressure. Would a water logged water heater have anything to do with it.
    Water logged water heater? No.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2013, 07:14 AM
    If you are losing pressure when you are NOT using water, then you have a leak somewhere, most likely a checkvalve. If it was leaking somewhere between the tank and the house, you would probably have noticed it by now. Could also be a leaking wellpipe, but it would have to be a major breach to lose pressure in only thirty seconds.

If it can pump back up to cut off pressure in only five seconds, then I'd also suspect the tank has a problem, especially considering that it does have some age on it, but I'd address the CV first. You can install a new CV above ground. Not the best solution, but it will work.

As has been stated, the water heater has nothing to do with it. No such thing as a waterlogged water heater since they are not supposed to have air in them to begin with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can shutting the main water supply off and draining the system drain water heaters [ 4 Answers ]

We have a 2 story building with multiple suites and some of the suites have water heaters. We need to shut the water down and drain the system to replace a backflow. Can this cause the water heaters to drain?? The shut off between the backflow and the building is old and we are afraid it may...

Hot Water Heating System Left on With Main Water Valve Shut-off [ 1 Answers ]

Can the hot water heating system be left on with the main water valve shut off while on vacation?

Add city water to well system for sprinkler system. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, My sprinkler system runs off an irrigation well system with a bladder tank. The well has a 1HP Jet pump that will only pump 8 gpm @ 40-60 psi. As the system runs after 3-4 minutes the pressure will drop to 20 or so psi and the sprinkler heads start to drop. So I'm not getting enough water...

Hot water only - no cold water - soft water system [ 4 Answers ]

I have what seems like a very odd problem. I have lost water pressure to all sinks, one shower (other works fine), and the backyard hose (frontyard hose works fine). I'm very confused, but initially had a problem where some tiny gold pellets of some sort had backed up into places where we were...

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

View more questions Search