Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    43aug Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2013, 03:35 PM
    In-line air vents/plumbing
    I have an in-line air vent under my kitchen sink. I am having a problem with water draining slowly. How can I tell if the air vent is operating properly? Do I just replace, if that doesn't help where else would I look to solve this problem? I have snaked the drain, used dran-o, etc!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 18, 2013, 07:43 PM
    Snake the drain line again. And again, and again if necessary until the blockage is cleared.

A line vent will not cause slow drainage. If a line vent fails it will cause the trap to be siphoned dry, not cause a slow drain.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2013, 08:17 PM
    Unscrew the vent temporarily and drain the sink. Any difference? If not, reinstall vent. If yes, replace vent. Is this a white "studor " vent or a spring vent?

Jul 19, 2013, 03:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Unscrew the vent temporarily and drain the sink. Any difference? If not, reinstall vent. If yes, replace vent. Is this a white "studor " vent or a spring vent?
    It is a spring vent!

Jul 20, 2013, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Snake the drain line again. And again, and again if necessary until the blockage is cleared.

A line vent will not cause slow drainage. If a line vent fails it will cause the trap to be siphoned dry, not cause a slow drain.
    I snaked, snaked, snaked and snaked and it worked. Thanks!!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 20, 2013, 05:19 PM
    Congratulations.

Just for information. If this was an old galvanized drain and the chemicals like Draino were used before snaking, the chemicals probably worsened the blockage.

Imagine this. You have a blockage in the pipe. The interior walls of the pipe are coated with from 1/4 to 1/2" of sludge and gunk. You pour in a chemical that softens the sludge and gunk. The sludge and gunk collapses and falls down inside the pipe. Now you have a thick, soft, sticky substance in the pipe that can't flow out because of the original blockage.

Now you try snaking the pipe. The snake just passes through the soft sludge. Maybe you even break up the original blockage but when you pull the snake out the sludge just closes in to fill up the hole you just made through it.

Don't use chemicals in drain pipes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have cental air and heat. Turned thermostat off but air blowing out of vents [ 2 Answers ]

Had to shut off breaker to stop air from coming out of vents

My central air is cold but slow air flow out of vents all of a sudden [ 1 Answers ]

My central air had been working fine. We have in the last 2 weeks had temps of 95 with heat index of 115. All of a sudden yesterday my air coming out of my vents was not as strong. Its cold but real slow. We changed the filter about 3 weeks ago, I went out to the unit and it was running. Any...

Cabbage smell from gas furnace vents and cold air vents. [ 1 Answers ]

ITs horrible... I really think its making me ill... had a guy check the furnace about 4 yrs ago... its a Carrier high efficiency. I was told it could be the heat exchanger but I don't read anything that says it has this putrid smell. Its like a sewer smell. I need help... I really think I have...

Furnace has Steady Red Light and is blowing air. No Air coming through vents though. [ 1 Answers ]

I verified the switch to operate the heating was on heat. And on. And when the switch on the furnace is held down it blows air but doesn't push air through the vents?

View more questions Search