Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patricia8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2013, 11:07 AM
    Window well sump pump
    I am a single woman and need help. My window wells fill up and overflow into a finished basement. The basement has a sump pump but the water is coming from the HOA and or Greenbelt water systems. My son put in sump pumps submerged in plastic garbage cans with lids so they did not get clogged up. These pumps have a floating arm and when the water gets high the pump turns on. The pumps trip the ground fault breakers. I can plug them in individually using an extension cord into my house and pump out the wells but then cannot leave the house all summer while the sprinkler systems are on. The HOA says the community greenbelt lines leak and saturate the ground around my house, the community says the HOA is the culprit. I am a nervous wreck as the finished basement is in jeopardy. My sons live too far away to help me. I want to sell the house and move closer to my sons but do not want to pass this issue on and don't even know if I could sell with the problem. I want to know how to address this issue, I don't even understand what type of person to hire to help me. Heavy rain does not cause the problem but when the sprinklers overwater or get stuck on I have issues. Neither organization wants to take responsibility.
    PLEASE help me.
    Patty
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2013, 11:47 AM
    #1- Do you have covers on the window wells?
    Is this ground water, rain directly into the window wells, or does it flow into the wells over the surface of the ground? If it is surface flow and the grade of your yard slopes toward the window wells, you need to (if possible) regrade to develop flow away from the house. Or are you saying it comes from leaking water mains?
    Try a good plumber first and he may solve your problem or he may refer you to a good building contractor but it can be difficult finding someone to take on what is a small project for them.
    Don't quite follow the logic behind staying home because of the sprinkler system. Nor do I understand where the trash can/sump pumps are located-in the yard?
    If it is leaking water main, you may need to hire a lawyer to get some legal action started. In the meantime, could you install a temp pipe to drain the window well to your sump pump- to protect your finished basement from flooding until the cause of the problem gets resolved?
    We can't do anything about the source of the water except suggest a lawyer. But we may be able to make some suggestions to control the water until the real problem gets addressed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My sump pump won't turn off after it has pumped the water out of the sump pit [ 2 Answers ]

My sump pump is only 3 years old and it won't stop running after it has pumped the water out of the sump pit. What do I do to fix this? Is there a switch that I have to adjust? Please help.

How many holes should the basin of the ejector sump and how many for the sump pump? [ 3 Answers ]

I have two different wells, one holds my ejector pump and the other one holds the sump pump. I recently was getting water in my sub basement and it was coming from between the basin w/ejector pump and the concrete. Once we drilled a hole in the basin the water drains from the concrete into the...

Window well sump pump [ 3 Answers ]

What items are needed to install a sump pump in a window well?

Window well sump pump [ 4 Answers ]

I need a pump to pump water out of a window well that is filling up with water when it rains a lot

Window well sump pumps [ 10 Answers ]

I've read several suggestions about installing a sump pump in a window well that fills up with rain water. Our window well fills up from water coming up the drain into the window well. The drain pipe is a perforated pipe so I'm sure as too much rain is draining into the ground, it's finding the...

View more questions Search