Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melmcg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2013, 08:44 AM
    Parking Lot Accident
    I live in MI (no-fault state) and came out of the mall to find that my car had been hit. There was damage to the bumper but no witnesses. I am responsible for my deductible? The police would not come.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2013, 08:49 AM
    No fault concerns medical bills -

Yes, you are responsible for the deductible unless/until you can find the responsible party.

Who do you think would be responsible for the deductible? It would appear that the Police did not come to the scene because there was nothing there for them to do.

Did you file a report at the Police Station?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2013, 08:54 AM
    No fault in my state means your insurance does not cover your car only medical expenses and other cars involved.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 18, 2013, 09:04 AM
    Police do not usually attend accidents on private property. Mall parking is private property.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2013, 09:31 AM
    Yes, you are responsible for the deductible, unless you can determine who did the damage so you can file a claim against their insurer. You can try asking the mall security to see if they might have the accident on tape.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jul 18, 2013, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Police do not usually attend accidents on private property. Mall parking is private property.

If it is two vehicles they have to. Whether on private property. They must check for infractions. The use of any registered motor vehicle ANYWHERE constitutes operation. If you are on private property(your own driveway) and you are drunk and run into another car, you have violated the law and will be arrested. Private property or not, Vehicle and Traffic laws still apply.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2013, 10:03 AM
    You could check with the mall to see if they have any surveillance video

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parking lot accident [ 1 Answers ]

I was in a gas station and I side swiped another persons car. The damage was minimal and we both decided not to call the police because neither of us figured we would have an insurance claim and I had been told before that the police wouldn't have anything to do with an accident in a private lot. ...

Mailman Parking lot Accident [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I was backing out of a parking spot, and hit a mini-van from the USPS. I was about 70% out of the spot when the accident happened, they called the police, but then no one showed after about an hour and we left after exchanging information. Since I was significantly out of the spot,...

Parking lot accident [ 20 Answers ]

I recently bumped into another vehicle that was also backing out at the same time across the aisle in a mall parking lot. I was driving a black Mercedes sports coup and she was driving a large white SUV. When we got out to examine the bumpers there was a very slight amount of black paint on her...

Parking lot accident [ 4 Answers ]

I live in an apartment complex that has marked parking spaces for the tenants. Today I took my significant other to work, came back, and since the parking spaces right by my apartment were full, I parked parallel to the garages (perpendicular to the parking spaces) because I was going to make a...

Parking Lot Accident [ 2 Answers ]

My step-daughter hit a parked car in the parking lot at her high school. The owner of the other car said it was no big deal and they parted ways. Late the same evening, the parent of the teenager called to threaten us with the police. What do I do?

View more questions Search