Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kpsingh666 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2013, 11:16 AM
    Speedometer.. kilometer head.. odometer
    A speedometer is used to measure the speed of a vehicle and the odometer is used to measure the distance traveled.What is the mechanical relation with respect to the wires etc inside an automobile with respect to the speedometer and the odometer?moreover in most of the vehicles the odometer is incorporated inside or just beside a speedometer. Why?when we talk of the servicing of a vehicle can we use the word speedometer to describe the kilometer head or an odometer?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 11:20 AM
    Not sure I get your question.

The odometer and speedometer are 2 different units. Most are driven by the same sensor in the transmission (VSS). On most cars, the head units are together but are referred to separately.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 17, 2013, 05:43 AM
    odinn7 is correct - both the speedomeer and odometer are driven by the same sensor, which senses the rotation of the drive shaft. The odomter simply counts the numberof turns of the drive shaft, multiplies that by a factor that acounts for the gearing of the differential and diameter of the car's tires to determine the equivalent distance traveled. The speedometer counts revs per minute of the draft shaft and multiplies by a factor to convert to MPH (opr KPH). In the old days there was a mechanical flexible drive cable that ran from the drive shaft to the ododmeter/speedometer cluster - the cable had an internal flexible spline that rotated with the drive shaft and drove mechanical gearing inside the speedometer & odometer to make them operate; hence the two gauges were built inside a single unit. With more modern electronic sensors and displays there is no lmiitation to have both speedometer and odometer gauges colocated, except that for ergonomic reasons automoble designers like to cluster the most important gauges directly in front of the driver.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speedometer/odometer problem [ 9 Answers ]

I took my car in for new tires and a new battery. When I got it back, I discovered that neither the odometer nor speedometer were working. I raised this with the shop and they claim that nothing that they did could possibly have impacted the speedometer function. I find it rather too...

Speedometer and Odometer [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 1989 Chevrolet C1500 2WD 5.7L. The speedometer and odometer both quit working. Just to rule out any possibilities, I checked the vehicle speed sensor which checked out fine. But, whatever has caused the speedometer and odometer to quit working has also affected the drivibility of the...

Speedometer and Odometer Trouble [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 1987 Ford Falcon. The speedometer consistently reads 15km/hr under. Would this also make the odometer run slow or would it not likely affect the odometer? Thanks in advance, Pj

View more questions Search