Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ash3377 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jul 16, 2013, 09:00 AM
    Parole officer doesn't return calls
    My boyfriend is trying to get approved for a change of address, because the environment he is currently living in, is not safe. First of all the parole officer already knows this but will not approve his former address (parent's address). Finally more than 2 weeks ago his PO told him he would approve the address when he got back from vacation, but now will not call my boyfriend or return his calls. How is this allowed? I thought it was part of a po's duties to encourage the parolee to remain in safe and secure environments?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2013, 09:06 AM
    Parole isn't supposed to be convenient for the parolee. Perhaps there might have been an issue with HOW your boyfriend was handling this... and the PO is dragging their feet as a result?

I have a gut feeling there might be a little more to this you haven't been told.
    Ash3377 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jul 16, 2013, 04:14 PM
    Well your gut feeling is wrong. He's made his mistakes in the PAST and his parole is almost over. He is currently living in an environment that he feels is harmful to him as he's been in recovery and clean for 3 years and doing WONDERFUL. He is nothing but calm and collected when speaking to his parole officer. He explained his situation and the PO said I will approve it. Keeps saying but will not follow through. Not only that but my boyfriend also gave him a different address (his grandmom's) and PO told him he would approve his other address. He is not stipulated to the house he is currently in so there is no excuse as to why he should not approve him. My boyfriend explained how he felt to the PO and was brushed off completely. I don't care if a PO is not obligated to accommodate a parolee as he wants but he better damn well do his job in allowing him to leave an environment that he feels is detrimental to his health. I'm not looking for your comments or gut feelings because you don't know a thing. I would like someone who knows if there is anything he can do. THANK YOU.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 16, 2013, 04:27 PM
    But smoothy happens to be right about POs! They are known far and wide to drag their feet if you just look at them the wrong way, or call once too often, or say one word too much with too much expectation. They want you to know that you are at their mercy and can be thrown back in jail. Some are worse than others, for sure. But doing that job day in and day out, they get jaded by people who feel that they have 'rights' when they don't really have very many at all until parole is over. It's possible that your boyfriend is being 'punished' for calling too soon, too often, when the PO got back from vacation and had a lot to catch up on. There's nothing he can do about it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    have a gut feeling there might be a little more to this you haven't been told.
    I believe Smoothy might have been suggesting that Ash may not have been present at every conversation her BF had with his PO. And if so, her version of what was said may not be the way the PO remembers it.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2013, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I believe Smoothy might have been suggesting that Ash may not have been present at every conversation her BF had with his PO. And if so, her version of what was said may not be the way the PO remembers it.
    Exactly... and to the letter.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 03:16 PM
    Hello Ash:

Read the conditions of parole.. I'll BET a dollar to a doughnut they DO NOT require him to get prior approval for a move. After you find out he's NOT precluded from moving by the RULES, then he should simply move and write his PO a certified letter telling him where he is.

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 08:10 PM
    Hello to my friends on this board:..

After all these years, when these questions come up, I'd think you'd tell the OP, like I do, to READ the rules. You don't.. Instead you tell them to kiss their PO's a$$. That's not good information. I don't know why you do that.

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 08:20 PM
    We do that because of human nature... you catch more flies with honey than vinegar...

Being abrasive to anyone you need to work with will make them do as little as they have to do for you. Just like getting pulled over for a traffic stop. A smile and friendly tone might get you a verbal warning (has worked for me many times)... but show attitude they will find a reason to give you a ticket (found that out when I was much younger).

You don't have to like them... but a few minutes of being nice can reap big dividends. Particularly when that individual has discretion in things.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 08:48 PM
    Hello again, smoothy:
    We do that because of human nature... you catch more flies with honey than vinegar...
    Then we're seeking the same end - a peaceful and happy relationship.

It's MY view, however, a peace BASED on the RULES, is happier, and BETTER for everybody.

Now, I don't know where you get the idea that KNOWING and ADHERING to the rules requires abrasive or impolite behavior. It absolutely does not. Clear and direct communication is neither abrasive nor impolite. Plus, as long as I've been suggesting people read the rules, I have NEVER suggested they THROW them in the PO's face.

In terms of smiling and being polite when a cop pulls me over, I agree with you... But, when and if the cop asks if he can "look around", I'd answer with a polite, but emphatic NO. If the cop thinks that I'm copping an attitude by NOT letting him violate my Constitutional rights, so be it.

Excon
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 17, 2013, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    In terms of smiling and being a polite driver when the cop pulls me over, I agree with you... But, when and if the cop asks if he can "look around", I'd answer with a polite, but emphatic NO. If the cop thinks that I'm copping an attitude by NOT letting him violate my Constitutional rights, then so be it.

excon
    I'm with you 100% on that one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parole officer [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend called me and said his parole officer went to see him at the rehabilitation center. Its 30 min away from my house. He will be there for 3 months total they even let people stay for up to 6 months if they want. He said my boyfriend is high profile. My boyfriend told me he told the...

Difference between Parole officer & Probation officer [ 7 Answers ]

What is the difference between Parole officer & Probation officer? If anybody know about this, please let me know.

Is it a parole violation to move without telling your parole officer? [ 9 Answers ]

Please help! My husband and I have been separated for 4 yrs. He was in prison (assault and drug charges) for the last 2 years, and recently was released on parole. He claims to be living in Anderson county,TX and has all his home visits there. Thing is, he's living here in Smith County,TX with one...

Can my parole officer do this? [ 4 Answers ]

My officer went through my lingerie and continuously looked at a old pic of me in undies( I had no clue it was on an old camera) he then told me he felt I was involved in sexual activities, and it was how I paid for my computer! I was 9 months pregnant and a full time student! When my husband made...

My b/f doesn't find time to return calls? How shall I discuss with him nicely? [ 71 Answers ]

In the early stages of the relatioship, my b/f was more anxious to get in touch with me. Lately, he can go a day or two without calling but just send simple sweet messages a couple of times a day... that's all. When you are used to a certain pattern, and it changes, questions arise. So I ask him...

View more questions Search