Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbd25 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2013, 01:54 PM
    Water pressure problems
    I have two outside water spickets. One before my (in home) pressure regulator and one after. Both read at 140psi+- a very little difference when I adjust regulator. BUT when I lower the pressure on the regulator it really kills my pressure in my house! You can't hardly take a shower or wash dishes and the pressure is just below 140psi
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2013, 02:00 PM
    140 PSI is very high average hous pressuer should be 45-60 PSI in this case you may have a bad PRV or a badtest gauge, Thanks.

John

Jul 15, 2013, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    140 PSI is very high average hous pressuer should be 45-60 PSI in this case you may have a bad PRV or a badtest gauge, Thanks.

John
    Thanks john for prompted response. I understand that its really high. It was check with a plumbers gauge and my friends gauge. Both said the same. My question is if my PRV is bad, how does it make my shower and whole up stairs have extremely low pressure when I adjust it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 16, 2013, 07:22 AM
    How old is your home? What material are the water pipes? Plastic, copper, or galvanized iron? Back to you, Tom

Jul 16, 2013, 08:58 AM
    Built in 1999. PVC pipes. I had to turn the pressure back up a little yesterday because my upstairs shower didn't have much more than a sprinkle of water coming down. That's what I don't understand how I barely got pressure upstairs. I just put a brand new tank water heater in due to the pressure ruining the other one. This new one has already flooded my basement twice due to the pop-up valve releasing water so much. And no I don't have my pop up valve plumbed to outside yet. It goes into 5gl bucket. Ive also had to replace all shower valves and water inlines to toilets. Craziest thing. It may be the pressure regulator. If you can't think of anything else it could be then I'm replacing it this weekend.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 05:35 PM
    shower didn't have much more than a sprinkle of water coming down.
    Does that mean hot, cold or both.

Jul 16, 2013, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Does that mean hot, cold or both.
    Both
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 08:41 PM
    One hundred forty is a very high PSI. Pressure regulating valves have an operating range. Suggest that possibly the 140 PSI is above the operating range of your PRV. Check PRV, should be labeled as to operating range.

Jul 17, 2013, 08:48 PM
    I check water heater today(in basement) at the drain in the bottom and it was 135-140psi. Funny thing is that I still don't have pressure upstairs in the house!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Heater problems, no water flow after pressure valve change [ 4 Answers ]

I changed my pressure release valve, now I can not hot water flw in my house.

Water pressure problems [ 3 Answers ]

Tested the pressure at the hose bib,and my water pressure is 110. If the pressure is so high, why do I have such a significant pressure drop when I flush a toilet?

Water pressure problems well [ 1 Answers ]

My water pressure went low some time ago, today the water in my home almost completely stopped, it hardly runs. When running the water in one faucet or the tub, it will not run in another. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Water pressure problems [ 4 Answers ]

I am on city water but have a 1300 foot water line, the water pressure was horrible so I installed a water pump and pressure tank, is there any way I can do away with this and just install a pressure booster inline? This pump is installed in my garage and is a constant worry in winter about...

Water pressure problems [ 2 Answers ]

My water preasure (new house) seems OK for normal things, showers, sinks, appliances but there is not enough pressure to push small sprinkler zone, bath tub has very low out put, hose very low out put, anything that uses a large amount of water. If these are turned on the sinks and appliances...

View more questions Search