Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j_troubadour Posts: 66, Reputation: 4

May 13, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Just going and getting it done isn't a good idea. I'm a middle school youth pastor and my 14 year old girls change their mind as often as the wind changes. Tattoos and piercings are a commitment. I'm married and a youth pastor but I also have 3 tattoos and do plan on more. But for each one of my tattoos I thought about the design for at least a year and I consulted my husband before I got my last one. At least with a tongue piercing you can take it out but they don't always heal. My older brother can still stick things through his tongue and he took out his piercing over 5 years ago. Please just think about it. Make a deal with your Mom. If you still want to do it when you're 16 then ask her to take you. Take the time to talk to your Mom and let her tell you why she doesn't want you to do it. Make sure she knows you're considering her opinion. Honesty is best and maybe the two of you can compromise.
    sandalman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Being a dad of four it would hurt me very bad if one of my children came home with a tongue ring and then said well I have it can I keep it. That is not a puppy you are talking about getting you are changing your looks altogether. What if something goes wrong. It could happen. Respect your parents decision. I have told my children that they can not have these in my house. And that is the end of the discussion.
    vicki baby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jaynen76
    Lol... good point.... well, self-expression would be one. I'm sure if I really took the time to think about it, I could come up with something that sounded like a relatively intelligent arguement as to why mom should say yes.
    any more good points other than self expression and the fact that you want it done ?
    I really want it done but my mam said after getting my belly pirced there is no more :(
    ra_chel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sexiibabii
    okay so heres the deal, im 14 and my mom let me get my belly button pierced 2 years ago... i personally think piercings are a good way to express your self.. i would like a tongue piercing and a tatoo maybe a nose piercing just a stud tho... i will wait until im older for my nose n my tatoo but right now im asking my mom if i can get my tongue she said she will think about it but she really doesnt want to let me do it.. she said i dont want to feel like im putting a whole thru my own daughter even tho its my choice n i want it... does any one have any suggestions to convince my mom?? =)
    Hey I'm 14 too and I also want my nose pierced but my mom is so dumb! Its my body and I can do what I want with it! Its not like its permanent I can take it out whenever I want and she's not the boss of my body. She's not letting me express my individuality and not letting me be who I want to be I tried to tell her that there are worse things I could want its not like I'm smoking pot or getting pregnant.she wants me to wait till I'm 15! Y wait? Its not fair!! So yea I just wanted to tell you I feel your pain
    mitithic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 02:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ra_chel
    hey im 14 too and i also want my nose pierced but my mom is so dumb! its my body and i can do wat i want with it! its not like its permanent i can take it out whenever i want and she's not the boss of my body. she's not letting me express my individuality and not letting me be who i wanna be i tried to tell her that there are worse things i could want its not like im smoking pot or gettin pregnant.she wants me to wait till im 15! y wait? its not fair!!! so yea i just wanted to tell u i feel ur pain
    You only have to wait one year. Be patient. I've been wanting to get a tattoo since I was like 11. And my dad said I'll get one when I turn 16. And now I just have to wait a couple of more months.
    gingerbaby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 10:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brandy681
    You are MUCH too young to get a tattoo! I have to say that parents have to consent piercings, tattoos, etc because children are uncapable of making decisions on there own. Because you may change your mind later on and the thought changes as you age. Do you understand? The way you think changes.. You may still want piercings, tattoos later on but especially tattoos at that young of an age is not good at all. I would wait untill you are old enough to make your on decisions and + this way you will be happy that you did it the right way.

I have a guy friend who made his own tattoos at a young age.. I think mostly because a lot of his friends were doing it, etc but the homeade tattoo that he made looked very trashy. Can you live with the same tattoo for life?? A lot of adults look for months before deciding on a proper tattoo and a design that is unique and reflects their own personality. In any occassion you have a LONG life ahead of you to decide on tattoos, piercings, etc. Do you get bored? If so keep yourself busy because eventually the piercings and tattoos will run out and you wont have nothing elso to do to be creative and you may become bored. At least you have something to look foward to if you wait, instead of going ahead and getting it done. This could be a mistake that you regret for life because people wont hire people with tattos and piercings. Some do but even resteraunts will make you cover them up and take piercings out, even if they do hire you which is doubtfull. People will look at you differently and you may realize what a mistake you made, at least wait a little while.

I do believe we were talking about Tongue PIERCINGS, not TATTOO's.
    And I'm pretty sure that she also said she wanted to wait to her her Tattoo.
    Not to mention, "because children are uncapable of making decisions on there own" that is very effecive. I am capable of making decisions on my own and I'm perfectly fine.
    gingerbaby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 10:29 PM
    For me it is the same way at the moment, I've read about everything I could, I asked my dad, he's reason for why I can't is cause I'm 15, its retarded. Us kids are allowed to make our own decisions about our body, don't get me wrong I love my parents and respect them but I've wanted a tongue ring sense I was like 14, and well yea... no matter what by the time I'm 16 I'm getting one on my birthday and there's nothing they can do about it. But my mom said I could get a tattoo if I kept it on my wall and looked at it everyday and liked it from like 6-8 months then I could get one. But like everyone says IT COMES OUT!
    Another thing that made me mad about this is that I said I would pay for it and everything, buy everything I needed and such, I have my ears pierced 5 times and there all fine, my dad doesn't like it but my mom doesn't care. She didn't like that my aunt took me to get it done but she got over it. She was the same when I didn't go to our family doctor for birth control. But yea... some of these people have good advice but some suck a lot.
    Anyway... my advice go with the sit down and tell her the pros and cons of it, and tell her why you want it and show her you considered what can happen then get her to tell you why she doesn't want you to do it. And then make a deal with her if possible. That's what I'm going to try. So good luck to me and you. Lol. :p
    dino_chan Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Aug 18, 2008, 04:50 AM
    I see a lot of immaturity on this page.
    Yeah its your body, put its also your parents consent. Isn't it hypocritical to force your parents to give the okay in something they don't believe in, when you're saying they're not letting you do something you believe in? I've had body mods yes, but its because I can legally get them for my age, and my parents don't have any say in it.
    Sorry to say dear little ones, but your parents are responsible for you until you're 18, and you don't have all your rights yet. You can't even drive.
    The only advice I can give you is to act mature about it when trying to convince your parents. Letting them know that you'll be able to take care of it properly, you're making a well informed choice, and that you really want this, will help convince them that you're very serious about this, and its not just a passing fancy.
    Also, so you know, a tongue piercing never truly heals. When you take it out, it covers over hallow. So you'll always have the hole. You'll always have a risk of infection.
    JaZiipHiiZlE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 10:55 PM
    Just tell you mom dukess... dat its better than a tattoo... u can always take it off if anything... it won't be there 4 ever:cool:
    JaZiipHiiZlE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 10:57 PM

Just tell you momz dukezz... it's only a piercing it's not a tattoo... u can always take it off on any occasion it's not there 4 ever.. it worked for me!
    Michellefish95 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 03:39 PM

Kay, some people may tell youu to just go behind your parents back and do it, and that it will all be okay. I know my family love me (sometimes! XD) but if youu piss your parents off enough they could potentially kick youu out. Mine threaten too. And they did the same thing to my older brother. He was out at least three times. If youu want it done. Be responsible and do it properly. I'm from Ontario, and youu only have to be sixteen to get any piercing. XD be smart. And if youu get it done by someone who will do it without parental consent, there's something wrong. Maybe they don't know what they're doing and maybe they're not clean. Do youu really want an infection and end up in a hospital. Also if youu get an infection on a piercing for the love of god DO not take out the piercing the whole will heal up with the infection inside! NOT SMART. And youu will have nasty scarring. And it could make youu sick. My best advice is to do it in a way that youu are happy and so are your parents and youu know that nothings going to happen. Good luck ! :)
    desdamona25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2009, 01:38 PM
    I think you should talk to her help around the house even try and pay for it yourself but if you could wait until your 15th birthday ask her to take you for your birthday and tell her that when it heals if you don't like it ill take it out but of course by the time it heals she would have forgot about it but only get done by professionals doing it yourself could be VERY dangerous I hope this works for you and if this is what you really want don't listen to crap like people will judge you and think your trashy people judge you weather you have piercings or not so that's just a bunch of crap well have fun with you piercing :)
    rosanna-hope Posts: 109, Reputation: 9

Nov 24, 2009, 01:03 PM

I'm fourteen and I'm lucky to have a dad like mine as he's very laid back (ive got my belly button, tongue, numerous ear piercings, nose and lip pierced). He only said I could have what I wanted done if I paid for it myself and it wasn't going to affect my school and that if it did I would do what they said - also luckily my school allows us to wear retainers in facial piercings. I think you should wait until you're a little older to get it done so your mom is totally cool with it and is satisfied that you know how to look after your piercing and will be able to handle the consequenses that may come with it. And I wouldn't go behind her back - she will find out. My dad expects one thing from me and that is honesty - I mean what if your piercing gets infected badly and you need to go to the hospital? Who's going to care for you? Just think and make sure you want it done for definite before you do it!
    expression12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 12:45 PM
    I don't think you understand how wrong some of you are, I'm 15 nearly 16 and on Saturday I went out got it done without my mom knowing, but surely when I got home and couldn't eat she noticed something was wrong so she found out but at the end of the day, she can't make me take it out, if she put her hand in my mouth ill bite her fingers off and get her done for rape (entering the body without permission) but I do love my parents so I just want them to except that its my way of expressing myself without music, cutting wrists, drawing etc. but beware... piercings ARE addictive and a tongue can lead to visual facial piercings. I know that she'll get over it in time... but she's scared that if she lets me get this done then it will lead to stuff like tattoos and stretchers... stuff that causes permanent damage, she's tried to ground me, kick me out, take everything off me but it doesn't work so she's gave up now and has accepted that I've got it done, my dad hasn't spoke to me for 3 weeks because of it but he'll get over it and it might take a bit longer but they'll except it soon enough
    askñbhn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 08:28 PM
    I think that all the people who are against piercings because they think that it will make you a bad person are ignorant. They are judging a book by its cover. Yes there are people who do drugs AND happen to have piercing and tattoos, but that is only a handful of people. If I were to convince my parents to let me have a piercing, I would make them understand this point, but also I would understand their points so that way you both can be conscious of the decision. I would inform both myself and my parents all about the piercing, this includes:where you are getting it, the price, information on different kinds of metal/plastic used, etc.etc...

Another thing is that you have to have a certain level of maturity to make the choice of getting a piercing or a tattoo. DO NOT get one just because the friend of a friend who you think is cute got one or something like that. If you are actually going to go along with it, do it because of yourself. Do it because you want to, not because of someone else. Last but not least do it with the consent of your parents. DO NOT get a piercing/tattoo behind their backs. If you do you can seriously lose their confidence and probably get grounded for a while. I hope my advice has helped in anyway:P
    audeiiislove Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 11:43 PM
    I had my tongue piercing just this feb. o9, 1o. I was not allowed to get those piercings so I kept them secretly instead. Use small barbells to hide them.. :) hhaha. Hope this helps if you really want to have one. :))
    audeiiislove Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 11:43 PM

By the way.. I'm only 13.. :) :D hhahhah.
    lisabezzina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2010, 11:51 AM
    I'm also 14, but I would rather wait until I am older to take the time to think about getting it. I have my cartilage pierced and it's a lot of work to clean it and it hurts when I sleep. Imagine eating! My cousin has her tongue pierced and some times it comes out, as there is no backing to is. Most girls think, oh its my body and I can do what ever to it, well you cant, who's paying for it? Not you.
    Your parents just want the best for you.
    And the only reason I have my cartilage pierced is because it was my birthday.
    So just think about it first.
    PokemonCrazexx Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Aug 5, 2010, 05:41 AM

I have 11 piercings and I love them so much, <3. They show who I am. Nose and ears (11-12) Tongue and Belly (13) I am 13 now.

My mom let me have mine done, does that make it not 'sensible'?
    My mom believes in making my childhood great, If I want a piercing I ask her, If she says no, she knows I won't moan, I will just wait and get it done when I'm old enough. Piercings can heal, my belly button has scarred but I am never going to walk around with my top up saying, 'Everyone, look at my piercing!' Am I?

Tattoo's on the other hand, I say wait until you're old enough, There is ALWAYS going to be a tattoo better than the one you got and you'll regret it. Think about it.

PokemonCrazexx- Beckiiee. Xx
    ramona_ Posts: 222, Reputation: 47

Aug 25, 2010, 06:58 PM

Your mum let you get your belly pierced at aged twelve? Why? Who would you of even been showing it to?

I've got many piercings, all of which I got in my mid-teens but it took me a long time to prove to my dad to allow me to get it done - I got a job and earned the money for the piercings, I got good grades at school, I don't lie to him or sneak around doing things he wouldn't approve of, I dealt with all the consequences that came with the piercings (what school said), I helped him out and generally gained his trust and my dad listens to my opinions on subjects and if he disagrees then I don't get it done but he felt I was responsible enough and if I screwed it up then I didn't get anything else until I was 18. In my opinion you're far to young as you are asking complete strangers about this when you should be maturing into a young adult and thinking of things like this for yourself and I think you should consider the health risks and do your research on this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tongue piercing [ 15 Answers ]

:confused: Ok, so I have been trying to convince my mom that I should get a Tongue Ring, and i don't know how to convince her. If any one has any ideas, please let me know! ~Thanks:confused:

Tongue Piercing [ 35 Answers ]

I just thoguth aobut tongue piercing and began imagining how mad it would be. Having a piece of metal in your mouth. I want to get one of these when I'm older, because its pretty easy to hide, and doesn't make you seem like a punk or anything (unlike eyebrow studs or anything. Can people tell me...

Tongue piercing twice [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have my tongue pierced once And am thinking about getting it done again But am unsure as it might affect the way I give blowjobs Can anyone help or give any advice on this Thanks Xxx

Does tongue piercing hurt? [ 29 Answers ]

Hey guys I'm 15 and id like to get my tongue piercied profesionally but I'm scared that it hurts.does it hurt?and does blood come out? Message me asap tnx

View more questions Search