Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VanessaB28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2013, 06:42 AM
    My landlord gave me a 5 day pay or quit notice. Does that mean get out if I don't pay
    If I don't pay in 5 days can my landlord come an make me get out or is there a court process. I live in norfolk va.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2013, 06:47 AM
    Yes he has to file in court at 5 says. Then you need to pay up or be move by the date the Judge gives you.
    VanessaB28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2013, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Yes he has to file in court at 5 says. Then you need to pay up or be move by the date the Judge gives you.
    Ok are you sure? He's telling me that I have to get out after 5 days without a court process. Im not sure if he can do that.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2013, 07:02 AM
    Very few States do it that way and Its usually a scare tactic or he never did proper eviction. I am on a cell phone so I or someone here will link you to the law or explain it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 14, 2013, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by VanessaB28 View Post
    Ok r u sure? He's telling me that i have to get out after 5 days without a court process. Im not sure if he can do that.
    Yes we are sure, but that is a general statement. It would help if you tell us what you are renting. Are you renting a house, an apartment in a house or apartment building or just a room? That may make a difference.

But this site:
    Virginia Eviction

Should confirm the process for you. You might want to print it out and give it to the landlord.

But if you can't pay, then you should be looking for new accommodations ASAP.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 15, 2013, 02:39 AM
    He just wants you out, without all the legal trouble and of course morally, if you can not pay, you should leave, but legally he has to do formal eviction.

** as a note you will still owe the rent and he can get a judgement against ou
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 15, 2013, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by VanessaB28 View Post
    Ok r u sure? He's telling me that i have to get out after 5 days without a court process. Im not sure if he can do that.
    He is right and wrong. If you haven't paid your rent on time, you don't have the right to continue to be there. So, in a way, you "have to" get out. But he still can't force you to get out without first getting a court order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Next step for landlord after pay or quit notice [ 2 Answers ]

I have submitted the tenant a 5 day pay or quit notice and still have not heard back. It has been 10 days now, what are my next steps

My landlord gave me a 3 Day Notice To Quit after I had given him a notice to move by [ 17 Answers ]

My landlord gave me a 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quite after I had given him a notice to Vacate by 3/1/10. In the notice I included that my double deposit was to be used for rent. I feel this is very retaliatory as the deposit covers 2 months of rent, which I will be out before the full two months,...

3 day pay or quit notice [ 1 Answers ]

How long do I have if I received a 3 day pay or quit notice. Before the sheriff comes.I live in La CA

2 day pay or quit notice [ 6 Answers ]

I received a pay or quit notice that says I have 2 days, but on the form it says must be no less than 3 days. Is it legal for them not to give me that extra day?

3 day pay or quit notice [ 1 Answers ]

What happens after you are given 3a 3 day pay or quit notice in Cali? Thanks, Jada

View more questions Search