Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    olgageorge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 04:49 PM
    What is the difference in a 2 prong or a 3 prong condenser motor capacitor?
    Hello,

1996 Rheem AC (SEER 12) condenser fan moter replaced. (A.O. Smith 1/8 HP 825 rpm. 208-230 volt.)

My old capacitor has 3 prongs, black, black and white. The white one has an orange wire that goes to the compressor.

The new capacitor has 2 prongs, black and black.

Where do I put the orange wire that goes to the compressor?

Thank you,
    olgageorge
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Wrong Capacitor. The old capacitor is actually 2 in 1. The old one controlled the fan and the compressor. The new one willonly do one or the other. Read the old one. Lets say it was a 25/5 mfd. The top has a common, a herm (compressor (25)) And (fan (5)).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert 4 prong dryer plug to 3 [ 2 Answers ]

My wall outlet is a 4 prong I have a pigtail to change my Sears dryer to a 3 prong but not sure how to properly wire it the 4 plug is red, white, black and green the replacent not color coded

4 prong plug for dryer - new dryer installation [ 3 Answers ]

We are installing a new dryer with a 220 volt 4 prong plug, old dryer had only 3 prongs How is the house wiring attached to new receptacle? cgfryar

Can I rewire a chandelier with a two-prong plug? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a chandelier that came with a two-prong plug. The store I bought it at told me I can simply cut off the plug, split the wires, strip them and then make the appropriate connections. While this is a reputable store, I am not convinced that this is safe. Please advise.

Three prong dryer element [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that has a dryer problem. First the breaker was shot. I replaced it. Next the thermoswitch was shot. I replaced it. Now I only get 110 too all three of the dryer connections. I cannot get 240 across these connections. Am I too assume this dryer has two elements since there are...

Wiring Outside A/C condenser Fan Motor [ 1 Answers ]

Need help wiring a new outside a/c condenser fan motor. Old fan motor has 3 wires: black, blue, light orange. Black to one side of contact, light orange to other side. Blue to capacitor. Contact has 5 connectors.. one side: black from motor, black to inside the condenser. Other side: dark orange...

View more questions Search