Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sondi Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2013, 06:59 PM
    Why possibly would a judge need to review a child abandonment case before ruling
    My husband and I are foster parents in Ohio. And just this past week went to a PC hearing for our foster baby we have had since he was born.he is going on 11 monthand the mother has been in an out of the picture for some time.she is actually a meth addict who has lost custody of a previous child and has been missing off & on. This last time lasted for a hundred and six days straight with no contact or any type of an attempt to contact the agency about the child. So Children Services filed abandonment charges against her and with her history of showing a pattern we thought that the judge would rule immediately for. Though he was none too kind to her on the stand he decided to review the case and give his ruling at a later date I am hoping that it is just to make sure the laws are being applied properly and that he will not end up granting her a second chance. The mother has only actually visited 16 times out of 45 possible visits and what is actually when the child first came into care. Has there ever been an incident where a judge would not grant the abandonment.

Jul 13, 2013, 07:03 PM
    Would a judge not uphold a child abandonment charge for any reason as long as it was being applied properly in Ohio state law
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2013, 07:07 PM
    I am sure its just procedure.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 14, 2013, 04:58 AM
    What your not understanding in this is this is just one step to complete removal of parental rights. So all points must be considered and weighed very closely. So if the judge is making sure the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed it is part of the process.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 14, 2013, 05:19 AM
    First, I believe that you may be misunderstanding things. I doubt if abandonment charges were filed unless she left the child without any adult supervision. What probably was filed was a move to remove the child from her custody on the grounds of abandonment. A different matter.

And I agree, they are trying to terminate her rights but courts are very reluctant to do so. A thorough review would be called for.

Jul 14, 2013, 05:37 AM
    Thank you ScottGem but the agency already has custody of the child. They took him at birth because the mother had an older child still in the system that had been taken for the same reasons. The older daughter actually turned her in for a meth lab on the home and that's when she was taken. They have been in able to locate mom for long periods through the past months they have had custody. They are absolutely wanting to terminate the mother's right's. She used to leave her 12 yr old at home alone for days on end when she would get high. I think the agency is concerned she may get on a binge and leave the infant home alone. So I am hoping the judge is just doing what cdad had posted previously and just reviewing to make sure there are no loopholes. It just threw me that he didn't rule from the bench. Thanks everyone for the feed back

Jul 14, 2013, 05:40 AM
    She has been completely MIA for a total of 200 days with agency unable to locate her. The first time was 30 days then 63 days and this past was over 100 days before she showed back up. And in Ohio they have to be gone over 90 days before they can file for abandonment.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 14, 2013, 05:42 AM
    Yes, the court is doing just what Cdad suggested. For her to get her child(ren) back there are many hoops she has to jump through. Apparently she has not jumped through all of them and most likely she won't. BUT, they have to give her a chance to try.

I have seen cases like this drag on for up to 2 years before rights were terminated and foster parents were allowed to adopt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 14, 2013, 05:43 AM
    Custody and termination of rights are different things. So, again, it appears the court is just being thorough.

Jul 14, 2013, 05:53 AM
    Yes J_9 she has not been working on the caseplan. She started and was suspended front he drug rehab program 3 times and was finally dismissed front the program all together. She has admitted using and was pulled over with a friend who had meth & pulls in the car but it was his car & he is in jail for it now. All she got was an open container for a beer she had. They did arrest on the day of court for pv. This is how she did the last child that aged out in the system in May. Visiting a few times in between long periods of absences with no real effort to complete the case plan.

Jul 14, 2013, 05:54 AM
    Please excuse my spelling my phone has auto correct... lol
    Expert

Jul 14, 2013, 05:56 AM
    Yes J_9 she has not been working on the caseplan. She started and was suspended front he drug rehab program 3 times and was finally dismissed front the program all together. She has admitted using and was pulled over with a friend who had meth & pulls in the car but it was his car & he is in jail for it now. All she got was an open container for a beer she had. They did arrest on the day of court for pv. This is how she did the last child that aged out in the system in May. Visiting a few times in between long periods of absences with no real effort to complete the case plan.
    Yes, I understand that. However, they have to give her a good faith effort. It's not fair, and I understand that, but like I said, I've known this to take up to 2 years before this is all finalized.

Jul 14, 2013, 06:03 AM
    Thank you then I don't understand why they even filed on the Ohio child abandonment law if they didn't feel that they has a strong case? Why wouldn't they have just waited another month or so and file on the 12 out of 22 month rule? I don't know I was just hoping this baby gets the protection that his sister didn't until she was old enough to report her self. He is just a baby no one will know if she leaves him alone for days he can't pick up the phone or even feed himself... I pray that God keeps him safe.
    Expert

Jul 14, 2013, 06:07 AM
    With her history I am certain everything will work out for the best of the child. The court has to try to rehabilitate her though. They have to cross all t's and dot all I's. And this can be time consuming.

I don't see it working out for her though. Just be patient.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2013, 06:13 AM
    Yes procediera is as everyone says and even though it appears she is making no effort they still have to follow law.
    Expert

Jul 14, 2013, 06:15 AM
    procediera
    ??
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2013, 06:38 AM
    Procedures... on my cell phone, it auto 'corrects' to words that are not words when I hit submit Button. Saud can become daïs. But goes to bit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child abandonment Case Law- Washington State [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking for any case law were parental rights were terminated because of child abandonment or where abandonment was cited in the termination. Or a custody case etc where a parent was found to have abandoned their child.I am trying to determine what the court has held as reasonable time to...

Case is no longer under Review? [ 5 Answers ]

On may 27th 2011 I was taken out of class and Arrested in Wisconsin , the charge was "Theft From A Financial Institution" . I worked at the bank in my school it's a larger bank but they put a branch inside a few of the public schools. I was Released from jail the following Tuesday May 31st 2011 "...

Help with child abandonment case... [ 10 Answers ]

I have a friend whose wife filed child abandonment charges against him after 6 years. The wife said she didn't want child support initially after the divorce and would not allow her children to see him. Almost 6 years later she filed abandonment charges. He has gone to jail been released on bond...

Child Custody and Child abandonment Case [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a four year old stepson who has lived with my husband and I since August of 2008, and has not seen his biological mother since. He calls me mom and that is all he knows, we have not seen or heard from her in almost three years. We were served papers the other day that stated that she...

View more questions Search